• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

American football question?

It may not matter but it is weird to a non American. Since i normally see it the other way around. I only saw it as stupid until that whole at thing was cleared up

I'll take back the hostility and just say I'm glad you even took the time to look at the score and ask a question rather than glaze over and change to something more familiar. :hatsoff:

No need to bite your head off for asking a question.

Henrik Larsson

Less than 1,000 posts away from my free Freeones T-shirt
I'll take back the hostility and just say I'm glad you even took the time to look at the score and ask a question rather than glaze over and change to something more familiar. :hatsoff:

No need to bite your head off for asking a question.

No problem, iv'e heard worse on this site

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
I saw it in Breaking Bad. They must use some old cars in that then

I've never seen a car or truck with the parking brake on the steering column. I have a '62 Chevy truck and the brake is on a lever under the dash, atop your left leg. In cars they used to put them on a pull handle next to your left leg. In trucks, they still do. But typically they're on a lever between the seats (on cars and SUV's with bucket seats). I watch Breaking Bad religiously. But I don't recall seeing that. Maybe what you saw was some other type of control? :dunno:

But you were asking about football. Hmm. I don't watch football any longer. I used to be a big L.A. Rams fan though. Now they're in St. Louis and I don't care. Here's a sports question though. When sports teams in the UK and Europe move to a different city, do they still call the team by the name of their former home city? I mean here, the Redskins no longer play in Washington but they're still called the Washington Redskins. And as far as I know, the Giants are still playing in New Jersey (not even in the same state), yet are called the New York Giants. So if Manchester United moved to some other city, would they still be called Manchester United? :confused:

But generally speaking, I see these as games. Auto racing is a sport! Hey, don't get mad at me. Hemingway said it, I'm just agreeing with him! :D

Henrik Larsson

I've never seen a car or truck with the parking brake on the steering column. I have a '62 Chevy truck and the brake is on a lever under the dash, atop your left leg. In cars they used to put them on a pull handle next to your left leg. In trucks, they still do. But typically they're on a lever between the seats (on cars and SUV's with bucket seats). I watch Breaking Bad religiously. But I don't recall seeing that. Maybe what you saw was some other type of control? :dunno:
I swear i saw both Skyler and Jesse, move something on the wheel before the car moved.

But you were asking about football. Hmm. I don't watch football any longer. I used to be a big L.A. Rams fan though. Now they're in St. Louis and I don't care. Here's a sports question though. When sports teams in the UK and Europe move to a different city, do they still call the team by the name of their former home city? I mean here, the Redskins no longer play in Washington but they're still called the Washington Redskins. And as far as I know, the Giants are still playing in New Jersey (not even in the same state), yet are called the New York Giants. So if Manchester United moved to some other city, would they still be called Manchester United? :confused:

But generally speaking, I see these as games. Auto racing is a sport! Hey, don't get mad at me. Hemingway said it, I'm just agreeing with him! :D

Football teams never move city, they rarely move stadium. Plus it is only in America that teams have there city or state infront of the name. Even in football. Like L.A Galaxy or Seattle Sounders. If football teams have a city in their name, like manchester United or Liverpool. The will generally stay in that city

ShikokuKichiguy

I'm secretly in love with Ron Jeremy!
Don't forget that they also stand around doing nothing for about 79-minutes of a 90-minute game.

DKM86

Will you be my friend?
I swear i saw both Skyler and Jesse, move something on the wheel before the car moved.

You sure it wasn't just the gear shift lever? Don't know about the cars in Europe, but here in the US it's fairly common to have it on the steering column.

Henrik Larsson

You sure it wasn't just the gear shift lever? Don't know about the cars in Europe, but here in the US it's fairly common to have it on the steering column.

That must have been it. We don't have them here. All you need to drive is the handbrake and the pedals, i.e clutch etc

24 Grams

Nothing in life is free, except FreeOnes!
That is normal football. That boring game you guys play with the round ball that looks like a fucking Dalmatian is called soccer.

American football is normal football? Really? First of all the "ball" isn't even a ball it's an "egg" and second, most of time the "ball" would be found in the "hands" of the players...American football? Football my ass!

That's probably something to do with deferring to the guest. I might be full of shit.

Deferring to the guest? That's a bit meek. Why not just give them free "point" (or whatever the fuck you call it) because they're guests while they're at it.

Unless you're showing some courtesy to your guest and show their name first.

Courtesy? I bet the away team doesn't even get booed by the home crowd.

How does it make any sense to list the home team first? Missouri at Kansas State. It makes perfect sense to list the home team second.

So if I, as a "Londoner" went to "Chicago" I would be a Londoner @ Chicago? :wtf:.

The answer to your original question is, turn the channel and watch Those Wacky Royals instead.

This is typical coming from an American. Why not just call all Scottish, Welsh and Rep Irish people English.

I have a question of my own to you crazy yanks.

Why does the NFL and Baseball and...basically ALL American sports teams have stupid childish names like Michigan "Wolverines", New York "Giants", Washington "Redskins", Chicago "Bears"...Did someone think this was cool? Because it's just stupid to us over here. Jus sayin.

Edit: Oh, and one more thing, bigmanharris...in regards to your sig. The difference between Celtic and Barcelona is one team is European Champions and the other is a "Micky Mouse" team.

Supafly

Retired Morgenmuffel
Bronze Member
It is always entertaining to witness people from the USA trying to argue about how the sport where

1. The bal is not a ball
2. It is only kicked by foot in rare occasions

Is called 'Football'

Whereas the game where

1. The ball IS an actual ball
2. It is moved around by foot except special occasions

Should be named 'Soccer'

But, as mentioned, too, the country that so strongly defends a scale for temeratures as whacky as Fahrenheit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit

History

According to an article Fahrenheit wrote in 1724, he based his scale on three reference points of temperature.[4] In his initial scale (which is not the final Fahrenheit scale), the zero point is determined by placing the thermometer in brine: he used a mixture of ice, water, and ammonium chloride, a salt. This is a frigorific mixture which stabilizes its temperature automatically: that stable temperature was defined as 0 °F (−17.78 °C). The second point, at 32 degrees, was a mixture of ice and water without the ammonium chloride. The third point, 96 degrees, was approximately the human body temperature, then called "blood-heat".[6]

According to a letter Fahrenheit wrote to his friend Herman Boerhaave,[7] his scale was built on the work of Ole Rømer, whom he had met earlier. In Rømer’s scale, brine freezes at 0 degrees, ice melts at 7.5 degrees, body temperature is 22.5, and water boils at 60 degrees. Fahrenheit multiplied each value by four in order to eliminate fractions and increase the granularity of the scale. He then re-calibrated his scale using the melting point of ice and normal human body temperature (which were at 30 and 90 degrees); he adjusted the scale so that the melting point of ice would be 32 degrees and body temperature 96 degrees, so that 64 intervals would separate the two, allowing him to mark degree lines on his instruments by simply bisecting the interval six times (since 64 is 2 to the sixth power).[6][8]

Fahrenheit observed, somewhat incorrectly, that water boils at about 212 degrees using this scale. Later, other scientists decided to redefine the degree slightly to make the freezing point exactly 32°F, and the boiling point exactly 212°F or 180 degrees higher.[citation needed] It is for this reason that normal human body temperature is approximately 98° (oral temperature) on the revised scale (whereas it was 90° on Fahrenheit's multiplication of Rømer, and 96° on his original scale).[9]

The temperature scale was replaced by the Celsius scale in most countries during the mid to late 20th century,[2] but it remains the official scale of the United States, Cayman Islands and Belize[3

STDiva

I'm too lazy to set a usertitle.
Wahhh our football is the real football. Wahhhh you barely even use your foot during the game. Wahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

The sure things in life.

Death, taxes, and Europeans will bitch about football.

Henrik Larsson

Edit: Oh, and one more thing, bigmanharris...in regards to your sig. The difference between Celtic and Barcelona is one team is European Champions and the other is a "Micky Mouse" team.

How very hostile of you. I could have chosen one of hundreds of quotes about celtic. I support a football team with a huge amount of passion, what is the problem. All Xavi was saying is that he likes celtic. Look at these:

“Every professional footballer should seek to play at least one game at Celtic Park. I have never felt anything like it”
Paolo Maldini (AC Milan & Italy legend)

“Anyone going to Celtic Park now is saying, ‘You’ve got to beat that atmosphere, the energy they spend in their games’.”
Sir Alex Ferguson(Manchester United manager)

“The Celtic fans are incredible. It is always great to play there.”
Ronaldo (Real Madrid & Portugal player)

“When I was at Porto my team also played in the UEFA Cup final against a Scottish side – but it was Celtic. I’ve never seen such emotional people. It was unbelievable!”
Jose Mourinho (Real Madrid manager) looking back on the UEFA cup final 2003

Hear of any of those people, quite notbale aren't they. Micky Mouse team, seriously? Winners of the champions league, 42 Scottish league titles, 35 Scottish cup titles and 14 CIS titles. All of which have had to be won, when Rangers are probably equally good as celtic(as much as i hate to think so). We have also been to the final of the Europa league. and secured many other British and European titles.

Where do you live?, England probably. Do you know how much money is in Scottish football, none. I would love to be able to spend even £5 million on a player, never mind upwards of £30 million in England. In the Europa leaugue, Tottenham beat Hearts 5-0.
But if you sold about 10 of those Tottenham players, you could have bought the whole of Hearts as a club. Come on man. When a team is relegated from the top devision in England, they recieve more money than a team do for winning the Scottish top devision. Calling celtic a "Mickey Mouse" team is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard

24 Grams

Calling celtic a "Mickey Mouse" team is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard

Well said:clap:. It was just a cheap shot to make you mad, didn't work I guess. Celtic and Rangers are "big" teams historically. What's up with the revenue in the SPL anyway? I remember when the de Boer brothers used to play for Rangers...there was money there then. I apologise if I caused offence.

On the plus side I think Scotland has the best managers around (or in the UK at least) though, apart from the obvious one every other Scott manager is better than an English one (England actually has a crisis when it comes to decent football managers)...that's why our national team manager is a foreigner.

Also ironically two of England's most successful football teams have Scottish managers...they're playing this saturday by the way.

ban-one

Works for panties
I've been reading this thread, and thought maybe I could shine a little light on some of the things in it.

1-American Football has changed much in its life, for example, they used to kick it alot more than they do now, like before the forward pass was legalized.

2-It's not an 'egg' it's an oval. I've never seen an egg shaped like a football. And if not a 'ball,' what else are we gonna call it? A 'footoval?'

3-As to what the games should be called, we can call whatever we want whatever we want over here in the US, and you can call whatever you want whatever you want in the rest of the world. Just like we can have Visitor @ Home, to your Home vs Visitor. Same goes with our system of measurements. You all can use your screwy metric system, and we'll stick to our system, thank you very much. Also how we pronounce and spell things.

4-As to the nicknames of our sports teams (and we're not the only ones), what do you guys call them in Europe? The "London Soccer/Football (or is that with a 'u'?) Team?" I'm pretty sure they have nicknames too. And from the ones I've heard, you have some pretty silly ones. Like Manchester United. 'United' what? Coal miners? Farmers? Truck/Lorry drivers? You guys have 'Rangers,' we have 'Rangers.' You have 'Athletics,' we have 'Athletics.' You guys have 'Wasps,' we have 'Yellow Jackets.' You've got 'Terriers,' we've got 'Bulldogs.' You've got 'Spartans,' we've got 'Trojans.' How is 'Ramblers,' 'Rovers,' 'Harlequins,' 'Old Boys,' 'Swifts,' or 'Wanderers,' any different than what we call our teams? The difference seams to be you've got dozens of 'Uniteds,' 'Rovers,' and 'Rangers,' and we were more creative.

5-As to the car controls, as someone who watches UK Top Gear and lives in the US, apparently except for the pedals and the steering wheel, our controls are in different places, and it also depends on the transmission. Over here on an automatic transmission vehicle, we have our gear selector on the steering column, opposite the blinker/wiper stalk, with the emergency brake pedal beside the door with the pull release handle above it, and have either a seat or cup holders/storage between the front seats. Our manual transmission vehicles are basically like the European vehicles, with only a few automatic transmission vehicles having center console mounted gear selectors and hand brakes. (Typically vehicles sold both here and there.)

I have a question for all of you in Europe who like soccer/football (or is that with a 'u'?), what's with all the rioting when your team loses a game? Or when your team wins? It's just a stupid game, for crying out loud. If you're gonna riot, atleast make it over something worthwhile. We didn't used to have that over here, then we got soccer, and now the fans go out and riot like you guys. Also, what's so fascinating about a game in which there's hardly any scoring? Just a bunch of people running up and down a field, chasing after a ball for an hour. It's why I don't what it on ice, either. The offense/scoring is the exciting part. Except our football, where the defense can make a big play with a hard hit, a sack, or an interception.

24 Grams

1-American Football has changed much in its life, for example, they used to kick it alot more than they do now, like before the forward pass was legalized.

It's called "American" Football mostly (over here anyway). So it's football, but only according to Americans...fair enough I guess.

2-It's not an 'egg' it's an oval. I've never seen an egg shaped like a football. And if not a 'ball,' what else are we gonna call it? A 'footoval?'

Yeah yeah I know this...I just like to bitch once in a while. You blame me?

3-As to what the games should be called, we can call whatever we want whatever we want over here in the US, and you can call whatever you want whatever you want in the rest of the world. Just like we can have Visitor @ Home, to your Home vs Visitor. Same goes with our system of measurements. You all can use your screwy metric system, and we'll stick to our system, thank you very much. Also how we pronounce and spell things.

Of course. But how about the MLS (if you even watch it)? They better not use @ there, otherwise I'd be pissed.

4-As to the nicknames of our sports teams (and we're not the only ones), what do you guys call them in Europe? The "London Soccer/Football (or is that with a 'u'?) Team?" I'm pretty sure they have nicknames too.

We have nicknames, but it's not part of the actual name of the sports team. Manchester United are nicknamed the "Red Devils" for example, but they're not called the Manchester "Red Devils".

And from the ones I've heard, you have some pretty silly ones. Like Manchester United. 'United' what?

Like I just mentioned the "United" is not a nickname. There are in fact two (major) teams in Manchester. The other one is called Manchester City, so we can't have two teams with the same name for obvious reasons. Manchester United means exactly what the name implies...The city of Manchester...united as one. etc. (when in truth it isn't. Like I said there are two teams, and they don't like each other very much).

You guys have 'Rangers,' we have 'Rangers.' You have 'Athletics,' we have 'Athletics.'

Yes, we have many "Rangers" and "Athletics" over here. But the "Rangers" and "Athletics" aren't nicknames. It's like this throughout Europe too (with their own versions of names of course).

You guys have 'Wasps,' we have 'Yellow Jackets.' You've got 'Terriers,' we've got 'Bulldogs.' You've got 'Spartans,' we've got 'Trojans.'

Yeah we have those names in Rugby. Most of us don't care about Rugby over here...some do, of course, but most don't. We just had the Rugby world cup recently and no one talks about it.

How is 'Ramblers,' 'Rovers,' 'Harlequins,' 'Old Boys,' 'Swifts,' or 'Wanderers,' any different than what we call our teams? The difference seams to be you've got dozens of 'Uniteds,' 'Rovers,' and 'Rangers,' and we were more creative.

Again, most of the names mentioned are in Rugby. 'Uniteds', 'Rovers' and 'Rangers' aren't nicknames. Weird maybe, but we have many football teams in the same city (some times even up to something like twenty...like we do in London). So I guess theres got be some way of differentiating them. Besides even though there are many of these names they are rarely ever mentioned when pronouncing the team name apart from Manchester United.

For example if it's Manchester "United" vs Blackburn "Rovers" everyone would say Man U vs Blackburn (notice 'Rovers' isn't mentioned).

I have a question for all of you in Europe who like soccer/football (or is that with a 'u'?), what's with all the rioting when your team loses a game? Or when your team wins? It's just a stupid game, for crying out loud. If you're gonna riot, atleast make it over something worthwhile.

I don't think you yanks will ever understand...there's a movie called "Green Street" with Elijah Wood you can watch if you want to understand. Those people who riot aren't really "rioting" over football. They're just causing trouble for the sake of it. They're part of gangs.

We didn't used to have that over here, then we got soccer, and now the fans go out and riot like you guys.

Now that's just stupid isn't it? See what monkey see, do what monkey do.

Also, what's so fascinating about a game in which there's hardly any scoring?

Imagine watching a movie where characters kept dying throughout. When the hero or villain eventually dies it's hardly climatic isn't it?

However if the three points (when you win a match you get three points) is vital to both teams and the match has been 0-0 for over 90 minutes and then someone scores in the last tens seconds just imagine the emotions.

In other words when no one has scored it causes great tension for both teams...is my team gonna score or aren't they? Are they gonna win? Also there are matches where teams score lots of goals...the best teams almost ALWAYS score...Just google goals with Barcelona or Manchester United.

Just a bunch of people running up and down a field, chasing after a ball for an hour.

Just try telling that to most of the whole world!!

Besides not everyone chases the ball and don't they run up and down a field in NFL? No, actually they're just standing there half the time and watching advertisements :tongue:.

It's why I don't what it on ice, either.

What? Football on ice? Is this an American phenomenon? :dunno:

The offense/scoring is the exciting part. Except our football, where the defense can make a big play with a hard hit, a sack, or an interception.

Defenders can tackle and intercept in our Football as well...they can even score too.

My turn again.

Why do players in the NFL wear this big padded stuff and helmets. Are they afraid to get hurt?

Why are there so many breaks in American sports?...If we did that here it would just kill off the momentum. Imagine if one team is playing really well...then bam! It's a break again.

And why are there quarters instead of halves? Stamina issues?

Why does a team ALWAYS have to win all the time?

Is the Superbowl just one match? Is it like the finals of the play-offs?

I watch the NFL sometimes...even though it comes on really late for me. But it lacks intensity because the play stops and starts too much.

Why aren't there NFL-type international matches? Or is it because no one else wants to play?

(I'm not being serious here...I have nothing against American sports. This is all just friendly banter). :sarcasm:

Henrik Larsson

I have a question for all of you in Europe who like soccer/football (or is that with a 'u'?), what's with all the rioting when your team loses a game? Or when your team wins? It's just a stupid game, for crying out loud. If you're gonna riot, atleast make it over something worthwhile. We didn't used to have that over here, then we got soccer, and now the fans go out and riot like you guys. Also, what's so fascinating about a game in which there's hardly any scoring? Just a bunch of people running up and down a field, chasing after a ball for an hour. It's why I don't what it on ice, either. The offense/scoring is the exciting part. Except our football, where the defense can make a big play with a hard hit, a sack, or an interception.
Only Idiots riot. That doesnt really happen though. This is passion
I typed in football fans passion, into youtube and this came up, i didn't even mean to post a celtic video, it makes me proud. We had lost le league by that stage and we still packed the stadium and did the huddle. "Let's all do the huddle, let's all do the huddle, na na na na"

Football, more than a sport

Watch that video ^^
However if the three points (when you win a match you get three points) is vital to both teams and the match has been 0-0 for over 90 minutes and then someone scores in the last tens seconds just imagine the emotions.

Last minute goals: for all you who leave early. Look at the fans here.

Look at the fans in this one

I can honesly say that a last minute goal is one of the best feeling i have ever felt in my life. When the stadium erupts, it is deafening. I was at celtic park for a Celtic vs Aberdeen game. We were losing 1-2 with ten minutes to go. The fans were leaving as we thought we would lose. Then With 5 minutes to go we score. It's 2-2. we have secured the draw. Then in the 90th minute we put the ball in the net and the stadium erupted with noise. Everyone went crazy. Last minute winners are the best goal anyone can score. It feels so good.
Here is the goal i was talking about. What a feeling

Football is more than a game. The passion and emotion the fans show makes you shiver. Some of the atmosphere's in football grounds are electric. Come and see an old firm game, you will see what i mean. That is the reason it is the biggest sport in the world. Look at the videos above

knowone

>My turn again.

>Why do players in the NFL wear this big padded stuff and helmets. Are they afraid to get hurt?

In the past players did get hurt, so the NFL developed safety equipment and mandate their use. So the players wear them because they are required to.

>Why are there so many breaks in American sports?...If we did that here it would just kill off the momentum. Imagine if one team is playing really well...then bam! It's a break again.

US network TV has 1/3 commercials. So in a 3:00 to 3:15 football broadcast there will be just over one hour of commercials, and there's a TV person on the sidelines that signal the Refs when to halt play so they can go to a commercial break.

>And why are there quarters instead of halves? Stamina issues?

Originally probably stamina.

>Why does a team ALWAYS have to win all the time?

A team doesn't win all the time, it only happened one year: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/72_dolphins
Oh, perhaps you meant: Why no ties? There can be ties in the regular season, but it only happens about once every 3 or 4 years.

>Is the Superbowl just one match? Is it like the finals of the play-offs?

Yes it's a single game (that lasts two weeks ; ) at the end of the playoffs.

I watch the NFL sometimes...even though it comes on really late for me. But it lacks intensity because the play stops and starts too much.

Eat and drink more during the game so your runs to the washroom match the commercial breaks;)

>Why aren't there NFL-type international matches? Or is it because no one else wants to play?

The NFL is a closed club, see USFL, XFL and other attempts to join in.

(I'm not being serious here...I have nothing against American sports. This is all just friendly banter). :sarcasm:[/QUOTE]

ban-one

Works for panties
Yeah yeah I know this...I just like to bitch once in a while. You blame me?

No. Everybody does it now and then.

Of course. But how about the MLS (if you even watch it)? They better not use @ there, otherwise I'd be pissed.

Over here it's @ for soccer too.

We have nicknames, but it's not part of the actual name of the sports team. Manchester United are nicknamed the "Red Devils" for example, but they're not called the Manchester "Red Devils".

So, they do just go by the city (or whatever)? And so what's the purpose of a nickname, if not to go by it? It's how it works over here.

Like I just mentioned the "United" is not a nickname. There are in fact two (major) teams in Manchester. The other one is called Manchester City, so we can't have two teams with the same name for obvious reasons. Manchester United means exactly what the name implies...The city of Manchester...united as one. etc. (when in truth it isn't. Like I said there are two teams, and they don't like each other very much).

We've got cities with more than one team of the same sport too. Chicago, New York, and LA being the main three. They have different nicknames to help tell them apart, and ours don't like each other either.

Yes, we have many "Rangers" and "Athletics" over here. But the "Rangers" and "Athletics" aren't nicknames. It's like this throughout Europe too (with their own versions of names of course).

Well, if they're not nicknames, what are they? It may be more of a semantic thing, but over here, 'United,' 'Rangers,' and 'Athletics' would be the team's nickname, beyond just the city, state, or county in which the team resides.

Again, most of the names mentioned are in Rugby. 'Uniteds', 'Rovers' and 'Rangers' aren't nicknames. Weird maybe, but we have many football teams in the same city (some times even up to something like twenty...like we do in London). So I guess theres got be some way of differentiating them. Besides even though there are many of these names they are rarely ever mentioned when pronouncing the team name apart from Manchester United.

Wow, you've got possibly 20 teams in London? Back to the names, while you maybe right, it seams like I heard those names for soccer teams, but I could be miss remembering.

For example if it's Manchester "United" vs Blackburn "Rovers" everyone would say Man U vs Blackburn (notice 'Rovers' isn't mentioned).

Well, sometimes we'll leave off the nicknames if there's a very clear understanding of who's who, but I guess that's just we're us, and you guys are you guys.

Sorta like British people say "Catch me/us up," we'd think the me/us is the subject in need of being caught up. (I have no idea how you'd say "Catch me/us up" in the way we understand it) We'd say "Catch up" and mean the same thing, but we're separated by a common language I guess.

I don't think you yanks will ever understand...there's a movie called "Green Street" with Elijah Wood you can watch if you want to understand. Those people who riot aren't really "rioting" over football. They're just causing trouble for the sake of it. They're part of gangs.

Well, apparently some of us understand, because it's growing in popularity over here. The people causing trouble just for the sake of it sure look like people rioting after a game over here on our news. But, that may be part of bad reporting. I don't know.

Imagine watching a movie where characters kept dying throughout. When the hero or villain eventually dies it's hardly climatic isn't it?

Not really. If you've got an action movie, say 'Die Hard,' you expect people to die throughout it, and they do. It wouldn't really work to have just the main villain die at the end, and that be it. There's all his minions running around, and the rest of the movie would be boring.

In other words when no one has scored it causes great tension for both teams...is my team gonna score or aren't they? Are they gonna win? Also there are matches where teams score lots of goals...the best teams almost ALWAYS score...Just google goals with Barcelona or Manchester United.

So, you use a point system to determine how good a team is, instead of win/loss records? Points for a win are arbitrary, and could be 1 to 100, and a win means just as much either way. You need wins to get to the whatever at the end of the season, and the teams with the most wins get there.

Occasionally, we will have football games that have no score (or a very tight, back and forth game) right down to the final minutes, or even into overtime, and they're exciting for both sides in a very nerve wrecking sort of way. Also, I guess part of it is we're used to lots of offense, and we see all these soccer scores of 3-2 or less, and think, "Well, not much happened."

Just try telling that to most of the whole world!!

Well, depending on how many people read this, I may have.

Besides not everyone chases the ball and don't they run up and down a field in NFL? No, actually they're just standing there half the time and watching advertisements :tongue:.

I know the goalies stay put, but the rest of the players do run up and down the field after the ball, trying to score, or take the ball from the other team. Perhaps I should've been clearer in saying they run up and down in field in what looks like an unorganized manner in soccer, while our football has plays designed to trick the defense and disrupt the offense. And they go one way, team scores or is denied, turn around and go the other way over a course of several minutes. Unless there's a turnover, there's not two teams scrambling up and down the field in pursuit of the other and the ball. As to the just standing there watching ads, you guys don't have commercial breaks? And while there is a commercial break, typically it's either the teams are switching ends of the field or a time out, either called on the field or by the TV carrier, during witch the teams have a chance to rehydrate. They're not just standing there.

What? Football on ice? Is this an American phenomenon? :dunno:

That would be football as in soccer, and it's actually a Canadian invention (I think) called hockey. Looks an awful lot like soccer on ice to me.

Defenders can tackle and intercept in our Football as well...they can even score too.

So can ours. And isn't it more of the same players play offense and defense, basically at the same time?

My turn again.

Why do players in the NFL wear this big padded stuff and helmets. Are they afraid to get hurt?

Okay. I wouldn't say 'afraid,' as they get hurt with the pads and helmets too, being 250lb+ running full speed. You're getting run over by a truck, and it's gonna hurt either way.

It's one of those things like with boxing. Lots of people will tell you that the padded gloves actually made it more dangerous because you're not afraid you'll hurt your hand, so you swing harder and for the head, and do more brain damage. But the other way, bare skin, is more bloody, but actually less damage is done. While the football pads and helmets are meant to protect from incidental injuries, it means they can hit harder and do more damage when they do hit. And boy will they hit. My analogy about the truck isn't far off. They'll get leveled, up ended, or you'll have a defender and receiver after a ball, not watching what's around them, and pow. Head long into each other. Sometimes in the air too, jumping up for passes.

Why are there so many breaks in American sports?...If we did that here it would just kill off the momentum. Imagine if one team is playing really well...then bam! It's a break again.

Well, part of it is as I explained earlier, they'll take breaks during the uninteresting parts of the game, like swapping ends of the field, or time outs on the field, or in baseball, as the teams switch from hitting to fielding. It takes time, and if you were at the game, you'd use it to go to the bathroom or get something to eat or drink, just like those watching at home. Also, it depends very much on the carrier. ESPN is very bad about it. I was watching a game over the weekend, and it's like no sooner than they get back, "Well, let's go to commercial break." They've gotta pay the bills to carry the games, and they do it with commercials. ESPN just takes it to the extreme. I think they also think by delaying action, they're artificially inducing tension and excitement. Many people cuss at the TVs when they go to break like that.

And why are there quarters instead of halves? Stamina issues?

There are halves in football, which are then divided into halves themselves. At the start of the game, there's a coin toss to see who will receive the ball. Whoever picks right can then decide if they want the ball and a chance to score first there at the beginning, or as many do, take the ball at the beginning of the second half for a chance for a comeback if down. The quarters are so the teams can swap ends of the field, so in the case of wind or bad angle on the sun, both teams are more equally affected by it.

Why does a team ALWAYS have to win all the time?

They don't have to win all the time, but in football, because they only play one game a week, they have a short season, number of games. So, if you lose a game or two, you might be out of it, unlike say baseball, where they'll play 162 games, and can get by with only 90 wins.

Is the Superbowl just one match? Is it like the finals of the play-offs?

Something like that.

Is that because of the commercials, the penalties, timeouts, or the setting up for a new play, either as in deciding what to do or for the officials to get the markers in place?

Why aren't there NFL-type international matches? Or is it because no one else wants to play?

Actually, I think there are. I seem to remember some other country having teams that some of our teams played. That, or I'm remembering an old episode of 'The A-Team.'

(I'm not being serious here...I have nothing against American sports. This is all just friendly banter). :sarcasm:

Mmm. Okay.

ban-one

Works for panties
Only Idiots riot. That doesnt really happen though. This is passion
I typed in football fans passion, into youtube and this came up, i didn't even mean to post a celtic video, it makes me proud. We had lost le league by that stage and we still packed the stadium and did the huddle. "Let's all do the huddle, let's all do the huddle, na na na na"

I understand the stuff in the stands, our college football's alot like that. But we'll get news reports from over there of a team winning, or losing, and their fans out in the streets, setting fires, breaking windows, stealing, spray painting graffiti, and other things way beyond the significance of any game in any sport, leading to police in riot gear with fire hoses.

I can honesly say that a last minute goal is one of the best feeling i have ever felt in my life. When the stadium erupts, it is deafening. I was at celtic park for a Celtic vs Aberdeen game. We were losing 1-2 with ten minutes to go. The fans were leaving as we thought we would lose. Then With 5 minutes to go we score. It's 2-2. we have secured the draw. Then in the 90th minute we put the ball in the net and the stadium erupted with noise. Everyone went crazy. Last minute winners are the best goal anyone can score. It feels so good.

Football is more than a game. The passion and emotion the fans show makes you shiver. Some of the atmosphere's in football grounds are electric. Come and see an old firm game, you will see what i mean. That is the reason it is the biggest sport in the world.

We've got all that in baseball, football, soccer, hockey, and basketball. It's not just a soccer thing. It's a being a fan thing.

Henrik Larsson

I know the goalies stay put, but the rest of the players do run up and down the field after the ball, trying to score, or take the ball from the other team. Perhaps I should've been clearer in saying they run up and down in field in what looks like an unorganized manner in soccer, while our football has plays designed to trick the defense and disrupt the offense. And they go one way, team scores or is denied, turn around and go the other way over a course of several minutes. Unless there's a turnover, there's not two teams scrambling up and down the field in pursuit of the other and the ball. As to the just standing there watching ads, you guys don't have commercial breaks? And while there is a commercial break, typically it's either the teams are switching ends of the field or a time out, either called on the field or by the TV carrier, during witch the teams have a chance to rehydrate. They're not just standing there.

Actually football has a lot more tactics than you may think. Not every player runs up and down the field. Every player has a set position and they stick to it as much as possible. A team's centre backs will rarely go up the field and it's the same with the strikers, it is not their job to defend. They do on occasion but that is it. There are hundreds of ways a manager can set the team up to play. You could play defensively and try not to concede a goal or you could go all out attack to try and score. There are lods of formations you could use. You could have a 4-4-2. The number furthest to the left is the defenders, the middle the midfielders and the number on the right is the strikers. So there are many of these you could choose, as long as they add up to 11( the galkeeper has to be there, so they make up the 11 at the end). You could go 5-3-2, so you have more defenders. Or you could go for a 4-5-1, where you put in more midfielders. You could choose any combination as long as it adds up to 10, therefore a lot of thought has to go in to setting up your team. Especially when the oppostition varies in different skills and strengths/weaknesses etc.

Some teams will defend and then go on the counter attack whereas others will just attack from the start.

Many Americans believe that it is just 11 players chasing a ball up and down a pitch. But really a lot of thought goes into it. If you look at Barcelona for example(on youtube etc), their players hardly run at all, they just pass thorugh the other team in triangles. Every players movement is so good that they never have to run about. Other teams will just hit a ball and try and get it to the strikers(teams tend to do this if they are losing with not much time left). So it is not just guys running up and down all day, it has intricate and fluid movement and loads of tactics.

STDiva

Someone asked about international NFL type matches.

There is. It's called IFAF World Cup and it's held every 4 years. Surprisingly the U.S hasn't won every year. It's actually a fairly competitive tournament. Japan is ranked #1 in the world, although the U.S has won the last two. 1 by a fieldgoal in OT against Japan and another in an asswhooping of Canada. I wish it was televised.