• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Add support for WebP file format

Luxman

#TRE45ON
Many more websites are using the WebP format instead of JPG still images and GIF animated images.
WebP format files are usually smaller than JPG and GIF files and have the same quality.

FreeOnes_Adam

FO Admin - 19 Cents of Magical Cock (her/shey)
Staff member
Side note, I can't tell you how much I despise webp, as a graphics designer.

Luxman

#TRE45ON

FreeOnes_Adam

FO Admin - 19 Cents of Magical Cock (her/shey)
Staff member
First thing, photoshop doesn't even acknowledge its existence.

Luxman

#TRE45ON
Google says that there is a WebP support plugin for photoshop.

The Identifier

Staff member
Gold Member
Hehe, I don't like it either.

I find that when I save .webp photos to my hard drive, I then have to open it up in GIMP (yes, GIMP - not Photoshop) to then save it again as a .jpg so that I can view it like all other normal images because these .webp's appear really darkened in my photo viewer unless I open the file in a different program like the Chrome web browser itself for example.

Luxman

#TRE45ON
What photo viewer are you using that darkens WebP images?
Maybe update to a newer version or maybe there is an extra plugin.

I use IrfanView to view, convert, crop, etc., it's an easy to use app with a few good simple image editing tools.
There is an optional Irfan plugin that gives support for every image format.

The Identifier

Staff member
Gold Member
I am a Windows user and didn't like the new default Photos app so I am using the old version of Windows Photo Viewer. It still comes pre-installed (at least on my version of Windows), you just have to manually configure it. So, it will be some kind of compatibility issue as the software came from a time when the file type didn't actually exist, or at least before it became prominent.

I have just Googled and found a potential solution for the problem though which I've bookmarked to enact at a later date so this should prove to be a useful discussion.

Luxman

#TRE45ON

Luxman

#TRE45ON
You can install the Save image as Type extension in chrome.
When you right click on any image you have the choice of saving it as JPG, PNG, or WebP.

Last edited:

Luxman

#TRE45ON
Was support for WebP files disabled???

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Was support for WebP files disabled???
Your browser may convert files on the fly - if u have data saver enabled. The server will do it for you.

Luxman

#TRE45ON
When I try to insert a webp image i get the message:

Oops! We ran into some problems.
The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension. The following extensions are allowed: .txt, .pdf, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .jpe, .gif

Luxman

#TRE45ON
What happened between...

Here...

...and here?

Nothing. As far as I'm aware. It was never supported?
For a while I was able to insert or drag and drop WebP still images, now I can't.
I'm not sure when it stopped working.

Last edited:

The Identifier

Staff member
Gold Member
The surprising thing is that it ever did work, because I'm pretty sure nothing was done about it. There was no memo.

If you can find an example of a post you made where it did work I will investigate.

You can upload WebP images to the GIFs section on the main site; but not on the forum - so I don't know if there's a chance you were getting confused with that... if you even use it.

Luxman

#TRE45ON
I don't remember if or when I was able to insert WebP images here.
What is the issue with WebP images that freeones doesn't want to support them???

The Identifier

Staff member
Gold Member
If you feel that strongly about it you should submit feedback - https://www.freeones.com/feedback/

Just make it clear you are talking about the forum specifically, otherwise you will be told it is already a feature; like it is on the main site.

I don't think the reason functionality doesn't exist is resistance, and is more to do with the fact that it hasn't been requested by anyone other than yourself in this very thread.

DrakeM

We are Apple. Prepare to be assimilated.
Don't know if this is relevant, but I just inserted a link to a .webp file into a post and it worked.

From this site:

https://www.allgirlannihilation.net/25/anal-for-penelope/

I can insert a link to this picture:

https://www.allgirlannihilation.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/teensloveanal_penelope_woods_015.webp

as in:
teensloveanal_penelope_woods_015.webp