• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Financially Speaking, what type of gamer are you?

tvstrip

I changed my middle-name to Freeones
I'll be honest, I'm a cheap ass gamer. I love Video games but they're still a luxury for me. I pretty much ALWAYS buy games on sale or clearance. My eyes light up when I see "Flash Sale" on the PSN. When I go to a retail store I head straight for the clearance bin. The games I get, I play the shit out of & I rarely sell my games.

I can't recall the last time I bought a game a full price. I did buy a couple Collectors Editions for the purpose of reselling, but unless there's a physical-only game that I want that is going out of print, or maybe a CE limited physical item like a statue that I really want, I don't see the necessity of buying it at full price.

I think it goes back to my childhood when buying a game with my allowance was a HUGE deal for me. I had a packed after-school schedule so I didn't have time for a paper route, my only income was birthday presents and rewards for getting straight A's on my report cards (a single B disqualified me). I didn't get an allowance for doing chores around the house because my parents told me I got food & rent for free. In any case it was usually enough to buy 1 or 2 games a year (depending if there was a sale), the equivalent of buying a Big screen TV or going on vacation as an adult. Sometimes Santa would get me a game too. I really learned the value of a game & to really appreciate every one and I still have every one of those games I bought as a kid today.

https://www.polygon.com/features/20...fantasy-brave-exvius-gambling-addiction-gacha
So it boggles my mind when I hear about people spending thousands ($15,000+ for this guy) on a single game. Even including console purchases it would take me YEARS to even get close to those numbers. Whether it is Gacha or Lootboxes, it's the same thing: spending shitloads of real money for virtual items. And in these cases, it's not even guaranteed, it's only the CHANCE of getting item you want. I get that they blame it on "gambling addiction", but I still can't personally understand how people can do it. Heck, at least with actual gambling you have the possibility of making your money back.

Anyways, it's a quiet Sunday so I thought I'd share.

~~whimsy~~

I'm too lazy to set a usertitle.
The last full priced game I purchased was the GTA IV preorder bundle with the lockbox, soundtrack, and whatever else it came with back in 2008

FreeOnes_Adam

FO Admin - 19 Cents of Magical Cock (her/shey)
Staff member
It's gotta be something amazing for me to buy new and full priced.

Last thing I remember buying fresh was Mario Maker for Wii U.

sean miguel

I purchase them day 1 digitally for the most part though I have come across some incredible deals on game franchises I had not played up to that point (Fallout 3 for $5 on an Xbox live sale a few years ago).

I pay full price and if it's something I've been looking forward to and near certain I'll like, I'll pre-order the deluxe or if I'm really really into it, the collector's edition.

I've been burned by this in the past (ahem, The Division) but generally feel I get my money's worth and more.

FreeOnes_Adam

FO Admin - 19 Cents of Magical Cock (her/shey)
Staff member
I like those 19.95 in-store specials they've been doing since forever ago. I'll bite on those. The Last of Us for 19.95? Well worth it.

D-rock

I've bought a good number of full priced games the last few years, but they also tend to be games on Steam where they start out 10 to 30 dollars instead of the 60 that most major AAA games are when they first come out.

TaylorVixenFan

FreeOnes is pumping through my veins!
its gotta be something thats in my circle of favorites like final fantasy, resident evil(recently got into), most things sci-fi, RPG. some horror although it depends on what kinda horror...its its just you trying to survive the monster with no way to fight back ..nah fuck that LOL i need guns!!!! or a melee weapon. games im looking forward to the most are Final Fantasy 7 remake, Cyberpunk 2077 and supposedly a system shock remake but it won't be coming out for a while now...December of next year i think. same voice actress who played the AI in the original is coming back for the remake :) its also been said there making a system shock 3 as well of which the actress will also return for.

cezar78

Will you be my friend?
I don't even buy games. I play old 2D classic arcade games for free. I love 90' arcades like Cadilacs and dinosaurs or Final Fight

L3ggy

Special Operations FOX-HOUND
Well, I've recently pre-ordered the 1st Class Edition of FF7R and the Collectors Edition of TLoU.

darkwarrior3007

1,000 posts to go for my own user title!
Normally, I just buy the standard edition of games but there are times when I'll buy the collector's/ultimate/deluxe edition of a game. Usually I won't spend more than a $100 on them, but I believe I did spend more than that on Arkham Knight. Just pre-ordered the deluxe edition of WWE 2k20, but I'm only getting the standard editions of CyberPunk 2077 and Final Fantasy VII Remake. When I do spend more than full price, I don't usually pay for them outright, although I did for WWE 2k20, I pre-order at Gamestop and pay them off over time.

Arielle33

Yes, these words change as I post more!
I purchase them day 1 digitally for the most part though I have come across some incredible deals on game franchises I had not played up to that point
meilleure mutuelles entreprise (Fallout 3 for $5 on an Xbox live sale a few years ago).

I pay full price and if it's something I've been looking forward to and near certain I'll like, I'll pre-order the deluxe or if I'm really really into it, the collector's edition.

I've been burned by this in the past (ahem, The Division) but generally feel I get my money's worth and more.
If you could give us some games that you played.

mouthmassage

My wife doesn't know I'm a perv!
Soooper cheap

I've gotten last gen game consoles and games from friends. I guess they can't be bothered to try to sell them. I might though. I have a PS2, PS3 and an Xbox that were given to me. They're collecting dust now. I borrowed a controller and a memory card from a friend and they needed them back. Haven't bought hardware for myself.

I mostly watch gaming content, more recorded than streaming.

I play Magic the Gathering (EDH/CMDR) on Untap. I tried to get into MTGO but I ran into a snag starting up and Wizard's support is terrible. I own hard cards but the player base fractured and dried up after a series of local games stores started closing in 2015. I would sooner sell my Magic cards than the video games because I feel like they are more fragile, both physically and market demand-wise.

isildur1

Surfs one-handed
Right now, I never buy games at a full price. It was okay back then, but nowadays you have to spend like 60 bucks and then like another 60 for DLCs. I just buy them when theres like a discount, it is also not that important to me anymore to always play the most actual games.

tvstrip

I changed my middle-name to Freeones
Ubi gets a lot of flack, but their DLC does generally offer more to a game, rather than make it merely complete.

DLC Differences.jpg