• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Has the forum become too hostile to new members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stein_cz

I'm touching myself right now!
(maybe this post won't even get published, I am wondering..)

One thing I would like the reader to keep in mind when reading this: I would like to say that I am honestly not trying to be a spammer or a troll and that I honestly came to this forum in a good faith and that I am not trying to pi** somebody off. I would like the reader to really open his/her eyes and understand my perspective (especially if it's somebody I already discussed this topic with).

So... at first for a couple of weeks I was just a passive consumer of this forum, I was not even registered. One day I wanted to write a private message to somebody on the forum, so I registered. After the registration, I found out that newcomers cannot write PMs via the Unable to send Private Message thread. I understood that it serves as some kind of protection from spammers. I also thought that it's totally fair to contribute and give something back if I want to use the forum fully.

According to the thread mentioned, some years ago it was enough to write 5 posts to unlock all the forums features. But the conditions changed. When I and another user were asking what should we do to become an approved member, these were the answers from the moderators:

1. the secret formula is primarily driven by a combination of post count and reaction score which "unlocks" this feature

2. Just start being active on FreeOnes Forum, get across the 10- and the 25-messages line, and I ampretty sure your problem is gone, and I am pretty interested in what you have to share. Best thing is, It's the weekend, you can just go ahead and do it right now

3. More [posts/reaction score needed]. Keep posting. :)

OK, so I need posts and reaction score. So I started posting, contributing, giving back. I am over 50 posts by now (significantly above the 10-/25- line / the weekend thing), vast majority of them helping somebody on the forum with their requests and providing them with valuable replies and always treating everybody here with nothing but respect. I am still not able to use the forum fully. And now I even managed to make an admin annoyed, details in this thread. Maybe he was trying to make the right point, but he was communicating it in the way: "Admin: I say something, User: I show that the arguments you're using are not true, Admin: I will repeat exactly the same what I said and you already reacted to, I will just use more bold and exclamation marks and I'll be rude".

So that's where I got. I was only following the advices I received and making here a lot of valuable posts and I am in a situation where I don't know if another 1000 posts will be enough and now I am frankly even being treated with no respect from somebody in a position of strength / from an admin of the forum. (And now I am probably on some blacklist doomed forever... :p)

I will probably get reactions like "what a long, bull**it post", "stop crying", "stop annoying" etc. But this post is not about me. When newcomers come here, their accounts are limited - they cannot write DMs, they're posts have to wait for an approval, they cannot use a post signature, I don't know what else is locked for these guys. And I wouldn't dispute that it makes sense to have the account limited at first as a protection from spammers. But shouldn't there be a balance between how much protection the forum uses and what a pain in the ass these protections are for the newcomers? Because now it really is a big pain in the ass even for somebody who came here with only good intentions.

So the question is: Has the forum become too hostile to new members?

(cc @Steve-FreeOnes , @The Identifier - I am tagging you just so that you don't get the impression that I am talking behind somebody's back, you don't have to react here if this is of no interest for you)

Steve-FreeOnes

FO Admin / "rude, unnecessary attitude" (he/they)
Staff member
You're not a new member. You have several different active accounts that you are using to boost your rep scores on those accounts.

Those accounts will now be banned and so will this one if you whine about this any more. If you sign up any more accounts, this account will be banned too. If you don't like the rules, don't keep signing up. Nobody else has a problem with them except you.

Status
Not open for further replies.