• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

marijuana is dangerous

NEW YORK -- For more than two years, Lance Crowder was having severe abdominal pain and vomiting, and no local doctor could figure out why. Finally, an emergency room physician in Indianapolis had an idea.

“The first question he asked was if I was taking hot showers to find relief. When he asked me that question, I basically fell into tears because I knew he had an answer,” Crowder said.

The answer was cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome, or CHS. It’s caused by heavy, long-term use of various forms of marijuana. For unclear reasons, the nausea and vomiting are relieved by hot showers or baths.

“They’ll often present to the emergency department three, four, five different times before we can sort this out,” said Dr. Kennon Heard, an emergency room physician in Aurora, Colorado.
He co-authored a study showing that since 2009, when medical marijuana became widely available, emergency room visits diagnoses for CHS in two Colorado hospitals nearly doubled. In 2012, the state legalized recreational marijuana.

“It is certainly something that, before legalization, we almost never saw,” Heard said. “Now we are seeing it quite frequently.”

Outside of Colorado, when patients do end up in an emergency room, the diagnosis is often missed. Partly because doctors don’t know about CHS, and partly because patients don’t want to admit to using a substance that’s illegal.

CHS can lead to dehydration and kidney failure, but usually resolves within days of stopping drug use. That’s what happened with Crowder, who has been off all forms of marijuana for seven months.

“Now all kinds of ambition has come back. I desire so much more in life and, at 37 years old, it’s a little late to do it, but better now than never,” he said.

CHS has only been recognized for about the past decade, and nobody knows exactly how many people suffer from it. But as more states move towards the legalization of marijuana, emergency room physicians like Dr. Heard are eager to make sure both doctors and patients have CHS on their radar.

Tone up in three moves

This Accessory Is Crucial For The Winter Season

Esquire Logo

Baby moonwalks to Michael Jackson's 'Beat It'

USA TODAY Logo

See how this jewelry is made out of love letters

TODAY Logo

This Two-Step Monochromatic Eye Look Is About to Be Your New Go-To

PureWow Logo

An Easy Way to Work Out When You Have Literally Zero Time

Instyle Logo

The Olive Suit Is the Ultimate Style Upgrade

GQ - Videos Logo

Adele Stuns on the 2017 GRAMMYs Red Carpet in Gorgeous Green Gown -- Pics!

ETonline Logo

Grammy Fashions That Regular People Should Not Wear

Buzz60 Logo

Listen to the 'roar' this adorable tot in lion costume makes

TODAY Logo

Chocolate clothing you want to eat

Babies' phone time calls for cuteness overload

TODAY Logo

Demystifying fashion's front row

CNN Logo

Why is high fashion so expensive?

CNN Logo

Who decides what we wear?

CNN Logo

Understanding extreme runway looks

CNN Logo

UP NEXT

NEW YORK -- For more than two years, Lance Crowder was having severe abdominal pain and vomiting, and no local doctor could figure out why. Finally, an emergency room physician in Indianapolis had an idea.

“The first question he asked was if I was taking hot showers to find relief. When he asked me that question, I basically fell into tears because I knew he had an answer,” Crowder said.

Recommended for you:Spinal Stenosis Questions
Cedars-Sinai.edu/Spine | Sponsored

The answer was cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome, or CHS. It’s caused by heavy, long-term use of various forms of marijuana. For unclear reasons, the nausea and vomiting are relieved by hot showers or baths.

“They’ll often present to the emergency department three, four, five different times before we can sort this out,” said Dr. Kennon Heard, an emergency room physician in Aurora, Colorado.

lapook-marijuana-1228en-transfer.jpg© Provided by CBS Interactive Inc. lapook-marijuana-1228en-transfer.jpg

He co-authored a study showing that since 2009, when medical marijuana became widely available, emergency room visits diagnoses for CHS in two Colorado hospitals nearly doubled. In 2012, the state legalized recreational marijuana.

“It is certainly something that, before legalization, we almost never saw,” Heard said. “Now we are seeing it quite frequently.”

Outside of Colorado, when patients do end up in an emergency room, the diagnosis is often missed. Partly because doctors don’t know about CHS, and partly because patients don’t want to admit to using a substance that’s illegal.

lapook-marijuana-1228en-transfer2.jpg© Provided by CBS Interactive Inc. lapook-marijuana-1228en-transfer2.jpg CHS can lead to dehydration and kidney failure, but usually resolves within days of stopping drug use. That’s what happened with Crowder, who has been off all forms of marijuana for seven months.

“Now all kinds of ambition has come back. I desire so much more in life and, at 37 years old, it’s a little late to do it, but better now than never,” he said.

CHS has only been recognized for about the past decade, and nobody knows exactly how many people suffer from it. But as more states move towards the legalization of marijuana, emergency room physicians like Dr. Heard are eager to make sure both doctors and patients have CHS on their radar.

I Drank Lemon Water Every Day For 2 Weeks—Here’s What Happened

by Taboola

Promoted Links
MORE FOR YOU

Over 2 Million People Have Viewed This Animated Video. Here's Why.

Ancestry

3 Foods To Avoid in 2017

BIO X4 Supplement

One Thing All Liars Have in Common

Truthfinder People Search Subscription

CNN host abruptly ends segment after guest makes 'fake news' claim

The Hill on MSN

Rain postpones start of exhibition Clash at Daytona

Associated Press on MSN

Girl stuck in ridiculous position denies everything

Viral Clips Daily on MSN

How To Fix Your Fatigue (Do This Every Day)

Vital Reds Supplement

This 'Computer' Will Be In Every American's Home By 2017

Banyan Hill Publishing

Women Are Racing To This Site

Tophatter

Bill O'Reilly: The swamp fights back

FOX News on MSN

Lisa Marie Presley's Twins Taken Into Protective Custody

E! Online on MSN

Granddaughter of the late Dale Earnhardt channels her grandfather

FOXSports on MSN

Golfers: Do THIS For A Perfect Drive Shot

GX7 Golf

Forget Traditional Hair Dye if you Color Grays -- Do This Instead

Haircolor for Women by eSalon

Things will get nasty. Get ready...

Taboola

Darwin Would See Right Through Pence

The Daily Beast on MSN

Rolex 24 at Daytona; Jeff Gordon Scores Controversial Endurance Win

HOT ROD on MSN

China Suspends All Coal Imports From North Korea

The New York Times on MSN

You can still get a low mortgage rate, here's how

MSN Money

Built for professional software: Surface Book with Performance Base

Microsoft Store

Pay 0% Interest Until 2018 Using This Card

NextAdvisor

Go to MSN Home

Go to MSN Health & Fitness
 Join the conversation 

AdChoices

MORE FROM MSN

Middle schooler threw wood at Trump's motorcade, police say

USA TODAY on MSN

DeVos criticized teachers
at D.C. school she visited — and they are not having it
at D.C. school she visited — and they are not having it
The Washington Post on MSN

Bill O'Reilly: A stunning
display of dishonesty from the national press and radical left
display of dishonesty from the national press and radical left
FOX News on MSN

Report Of A Possible Rift
Between Trump And Kushner
Between Trump And Kushner
GeoBeats on MSN

by Taboola

Sponsored Links

YOU MAY LIKE

Homeowners Are Paying Next To Nothing For Solar Panels

Solar America

A Full-Time Job
Shouldn't Hold You Back From a Degree
Shouldn't Hold You Back From a Degree
Herzing University

3 Signs You May Have A Fatty Liver

Live Cell Research

3 Steps To Burn Off Stomach Fat After 40

MAX Workouts Fitness Guide

AdChoices

More from CBS News

CBS News

Johan

I'm too lazy to set a usertitle.
Marijuana is dangerous, that's a fact no one can argue. Just like alcohol, tobacco or prescription drugs.
But only Marijuana is illegal. Why ?
Because no big coroporations makes billions of dollars by selling Marijuana like they do selling alcohol, tobacco or prescription drugs, give politicians campaign financing, hire lobbyist to influence congressmen, etc...

Marijuana is dangerous, that's a fact no one can argue. Just like alcohol, tobacco or prescription drugs.
But only Marijuana is illegal. Why ?
Because no big coroporations makes billions of dollars by selling Marijuana like they do selling alcohol, tobacco or prescription drugs, give politicians campaign financing, hire lobbyist to influence congressmen, etc...

UNknown to you. Big money is on the move to pot. It is making big money. One coud argue it is illegal as it still is a class 1 drug on the federal govt statutes.
IT never went off the schedule 1 list only some states made it legal on the state level. States do not have precedent in this matter. If a new DEA director wants to start doing raids again. they can.
Trump is against drugs and I always thought he might start enforcing it. Have heard nothing from his mouth on the subject. He has other fish to fry. Schedule 1 means it is like heroin and of no human value
according to the federal govt law set up under Nixon.

I hope trump cracks down hard in a second term. As tough as he was on his kids I would not be at all surprised.

sean miguel

I'm too lazy to set a usertitle.

I hope trump cracks down hard in a second term
. As tough as he was on his kids I would not be at all surprised.

He won't. That genie has been let out of the bottle, pandora's box opened, the horsies out of the barn and so forth.

Not sayin trump will do anything but fed law prevails. No state can make a law that violates federal law. I read the pot industry had problems with the money made from pot sales and banks not wanting it from pot companies. They were keeping it in safes not banks.

assari

God damn it, Baconsalt!
One might imagine that marijuana affects different people in different ways.

The common factor is that many users will be very aggressive and they can fall asleep anywhere.

cheech_marijuana_car.jpg
o-SLEEPING-IN-CAR-facebook.jpg