• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Nintendo Switch Lite worth getting?

yoyodude

Recommendation: www.myFreeOnes.com
I sold my Nintendo Switch about 6 months ago but now I feel like playing it again (I know it's stupid to sell it and buy it again). If I buy it again I will definitely keep it this time but is it worth buying? It's cheaper but it's handheld only which I don't mind. I like the variety of colors and turquoise really caught my attention. Any of you have the Lite version? How is it?

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Depends on what you are gonna use it for.
Installing custom firmware on it so you can play any downloaded games? You'll need a switch classic.
Battery life? Switch classic < Switch Lite < New Switch
Screen is a bit smaller, but it feels like a true 'pocket system' with the smaller size. Original switch always felt like a tablet with benefits, to me. FIne, but.. just a heavy controller, of sorts.
(The DS/3DS feels like that, too. Fine to hold with both hands, but weight-fatigue sets in when trying to solo-hand it.)

New plastic feels better, IMO. I wouldnt trust it to survive a 6 foot drop or anything, but it feels just the tiniest bit less flimsy than that 'tablet plastic' that the original has.

On a sidenote, funny. "I know its stupid to sell and buy it again" and your name is yoyo. heh heh ;)

yoyodude

Recommendation: www.myFreeOnes.com
Depends on what you are gonna use it for.
Installing custom firmware on it so you can play any downloaded games? You'll need a switch classic.
Battery life? Switch classic < Switch Lite < New Switch
Screen is a bit smaller, but it feels like a true 'pocket system' with the smaller size. Original switch always felt like a tablet with benefits, to me. FIne, but.. just a heavy controller, of sorts.
(The DS/3DS feels like that, too. Fine to hold with both hands, but weight-fatigue sets in when trying to solo-hand it.)

New plastic feels better, IMO. I wouldnt trust it to survive a 6 foot drop or anything, but it feels just the tiniest bit less flimsy than that 'tablet plastic' that the original has.

On a sidenote, funny. "I know its stupid to sell and buy it again" and your name is yoyo. heh heh ;)

Thanks for the input. I have decided to give it another go. I already started saving up to buy the Switch Lite. Been wanting to play Pokemon Sword/Shield!

FreeOnes_Adam

FO Admin - 19 Cents of Magical Cock (her/shey)
Staff member
I borrowed a friend's for a few days. I will say, I did not find it comfortable for my hands. The right joystick is in the way, and the button placement gives me cramps. You can prolly get used to it, but I definitely know I am passing. I wonder if the placement and feel is the same on the real deal. If so, I might have to skip this console as a whole. That would pretty shitty. I love Nintendo, but that was not pleasurable.

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
I borrowed a friend's for a few days. I will say, I did not find it comfortable for my hands. The right joystick is in the way, and the button placement gives me cramps. You can prolly get used to it, but I definitely know I am passing. I wonder if the placement and feel is the same on the real deal. If so, I might have to skip this console as a whole. That would pretty shitty. I love Nintendo, but that was not pleasurable.

It DOES seem to be an issue with their consoles. I think only the SNES and gamecube really felt 'right' in-hand. NES was blocky-TINY-not sharp, but felt sharp after long playing sessions, 64 was.. awkward and too small for adult hands AND OMG that plastic joystick...
Wii was craptastic, my 3ds's D-pad is just low enough to feel like.. your hand is 'sitting on the edge of the seat' but in a weighty-handheld way, like you felt.
Doesnt change how popular it is, but whatevs. I'd much rather like a lightweight system. :)

You can always use their other controllers. But.. why spend so much for comfort, ya know

FreeOnes_Adam

Staff member
It DOES seem to be an issue with their consoles. I think only the SNES and gamecube really felt 'right' in-hand. NES was block, 64 was.. awkward and too small for adult hands AND OMG that plastic joystick...
Wii was craptastic, my 3ds's D-pad is just low enough to feel like.. your hand is 'sitting on the edge of the seat' but in a weighty-handheld way, like you felt.
Doesnt change how popular it is, but whatevs. I'd much rather like a lightweight system. :)

SNES controller is always my favourite. Gamecube's is close to a tie maybe. Its a great controller. NES and 64 never bothered me, although the C buttons on the 64 were a little weird to me. Wii U I didn't mind either, and 3DS is so-so. I can deal. Switch Lite.. that just wasn't comfortable at all. But that's me.

Is it the same exact size and layout as regular Switch? I'm so curious.

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Nah, a few ounces and a few inches less. Not so much that you'd notice, negatively. Like the screen is more edge-to-edge, but less screen is still less screen.
I know its missing a few other things, too.. I think the vibration motors and a gyroscope? So laying those steering wheel games is joystick-only, but I could be wrong.
I like the price point of 100$ less, but.. I mean.. I'm all about the hacking-it part. I really dont buy any games without trying them, first. And blockbusters dont exist, sooo....

Oh and the arrow button.. C-buttons type thing is replaced by a D pad. Thats actually kind of a mixed bag, cuz the D pad is smaller.
I know the system is for kids, but the compromise feels like my 3ds's d pad location.

Too compromised, like ya said.

FreeOnes_Adam

Staff member
Nah, a few ounces and a few inches less. Not so much that you'd notice, negatively. Like the screen is more edge-to-edge, but less screen is still less screen.
I know its missing a few other things, too.. I think the vibration motors and a gyroscope? So laying those steering wheel games is joystick-only, but I could be wrong.
I like the price point of 100$ less, but.. I mean.. I'm all about the hacking-it part. I really dont buy any games without trying them, first. And blockbusters dont exist, sooo....

Oh and the arrow button.. C-buttons type thing is replaced by a D pad. Thats actually kind of a mixed bag, cuz the D pad is smaller.
I know the system is for kids, but the compromise feels like my 3ds's d pad location.

Too compromised, like ya said.

Yeah, maybe I'll rent one or something and see. I'm not in a rush, its been 3 years today the Switch has been out.

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Yeah. Doesnt stop your local retailer from selling even the used ones at ridiculous prices, tho. ;)

If I.. who am I kidding, WHEN I get a switch, I got my eye on ark survival evolved and rune factory 4 deluxe.
Among a couple other franchises that'll be out by the time I get up enough scratch to 'waste' on a new console.

I really got a love/hate thing going with my 3ds and the games. I love it, but its kind of a one trick pony. So many damned weeaboo RPG games.
No driving, no fighters, no sports, no 3d movie support.. but it has its moments. *shrug* I've regretted purchasing a ps4, but not a switch.
(That vr stuff was pretty sweet, tho)

FreeOnes_Adam

Staff member
So many damned weeaboo RPG games.

Yeah, every damn RPG is a Kemco game. I haven't bothered looking in the shop for ages now. I'm over the whole anime RPG thing. I want my turn based RPGs, and I would love some good ones on the 3DS, but it seems everything I look at is some throw together Kemco trash. They pump em out like crazy. This is the byproduct of shitty mobile gaming. Blah.

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Didja hack yours or are you doing the legit thing?

tvstrip

I changed my middle-name to Freeones
If you're going to buy new, wait until later in the year when the new systems come out.

FreeOnes_Adam

Staff member
Didja hack yours or are you doing the legit thing?

What? My 3DS? No, I never even bothered looking into doing so. I just buy my stuff, gives me a warm funny feeling inside. I don't have a large collection, but hey.

tvstrip

I changed my middle-name to Freeones
What? My 3DS? No, I never even bothered looking into doing so. I just buy my stuff, gives me a warm funny feeling inside. I don't have a large collection, but hey.
Same here. It would be too much work every "stability update" to update a hack, and you need the official updates to access badge arcade & the eshop (I think any online function).

Once they discontinue updates though....

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
3ds is dead. Long live the 3ds.
Anyone else just kinda keep theirs around? Like when you need 5 minutes of gaming, there it is on the nightstand. No playstation, no xbox, and especially no smartphone. Just that wee 3ds and a few choice games.