• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

American football question?

Henrik Larsson

Less than 1,000 posts away from my free Freeones T-shirt
I have never watched a full game of American football in my life but i am watching it just now on ESPN and ESPN America. It is 8:45 here, don't know what time it is there though

The show is called Missouri at Kansas State

So why is it stated as Missouri 0 Kansas st 0

The other match is Florida at LSU
It says Florida 0 LSU 7, but LSU are the home team

Should it not be the home team that is stated first. That is what they normally do in normal football.
I.e if celtic are at home to rangers it would say
Celt 0 Ran 0 on the tv

Why have they put it the other way around for American football

Also it says live CFB, is that college football?

PlumpRump

If FreeOnes was a woman, I'd marry her!
It's pretty standard, at least in American sports, to list the home team 2nd. Always has been that way for football, baseball, basketball etc. It always looks odd, to me at least, to see the home team listed first. CFB means college football, yes. And as far as the clock goes, all American timed sports have a clock that counts down, there is no extra/injury time so counting up is unnecessary.

Henrik Larsson

Weirdest thing i have ever seen tbh. Must just be America that uses that, like using fahrenheit, WTF?. In all team sports i watch, i.e football, rugby etc. The home team is always first. This is the closest i could find http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l7tv08fTmx1qd6ja1o1_500.png.
Bayern Munich are the away team and are therefore listed second. Doing it any other way seems stupid

You are the home team, you should be shown first

gunslingingbird

I'm too lazy to set a usertitle.
The show is called Missouri at Kansas State

The show isn't called Missouri at Kansas State, those were the teams that were playing.

So why is it stated as Missouri 0 Kansas st 0
Because neither team had scored yet.

Should it not be the home team that is stated first.

No, it shouldn't.
That is what they normally do in normal football.

That is normal football. That boring game you guys play with the round ball that looks like a fucking Dalmatian is called soccer.
Why have they put it the other way around for American football
That's probably something to do with deferring to the guest. I might be full of shit.

You are the home team, you should be shown first

Unless you're showing some courtesy to your guest and show their name first.

ThatRedWing

MasterBlaster
How does it make any sense to list the home team first? Missouri at Kansas State. It makes perfect sense to list the home team second. Plus it probably started with baseball as the home team gets the final at-bat.

Henrik Larsson

The show isn't called Missouri at Kansas State, those were the teams that were playing.
It was stated on the tv like that, just as football is stated as ... vs...

Because neither team had scored yet.

I got that

No, it shouldn't.

That is normal football. That boring game you guys play with the round ball that looks like a fucking Dalmatian is called soccer.
Normal football is correct. Everyone calls it football unless you come from America or Canada, where you call it soccer

That's probably something to do with deferring to the guest. I might be full of shit.

Unless you're showing some courtesy to your guest and show their name first.

It is only America that does it. It is not really courtesy to show the away teams name first.
It is played in the home ground, the home team have the advantage etc etc. In every other team sport it is stated that the home team are first
My answes in bold

How does it make any sense to list the home team first? Missouri at Kansas State. It makes perfect sense to list the home team second. Plus it probably started with baseball as the home team gets the final at-bat.

As i stated above, why does football, rugby, cricket etc all have the home team first?.
Only American sports have it whaere the away team is first.
Look at this image http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/51498000/gif/_51498484_scup_celvran_020311_web.tra.gif
The home team first

DKM86

Will you be my friend?
Every sport is the same, football, basketball, baseball it's always away team vs home team, so the home team is second.

Makes sense either way though, Missouri AT Kansas State (home team second) is also Kansas State VS Missouri (home team first). I guess America just wants to be different.

Henrik Larsson

Every sport is the same, football, basketball, baseball it's always away team vs home team, so the home team is second.

Makes sense either way though, Missouri AT Kansas State (home team second) is also Kansas State VS Missouri (home team first). I guess America just wants to be different.
Exactly, Americans say Missouri at Kansas state, where most other places will say Kansas state vs Missouri. In football everyone says home team vs away team. I.e Barcelona vs Real Madrid or Manchester united vs Chelsea. American sports and sometimes Australian sports say away at home.
It looks weird to me because i haven't known any different, it has always been home vs away. Americans think the other way is weird because they have only seen it done their way. It is like Americans say A through Z. Most other countries say A to Z. Americans also say it as Zee whereas we say it as Zed. North American countries are the only ones to use fahrenheit aswell, even though it is simpler to use celcius. Again though, you would know, no different.

In OZ normal football is called Australian Rules..........soccer is called soccer
Australian rules football is really complicated, there are so many rules. I'm sure there is an Australian sport where there are rugby posts but a football net underneath and a keeper between the posts. I can't remember what it is called though

I know that the majority of countries say football, not just the uk. In most countries, if you say football they will know you mean regular football. Whereas if you say that in North America they will think you mean American football

Henrik Larsson

This remark coming from someone who lives in a country where they insist on driving on the wrong side of the road. :facepalm: :rolleyes:

It has been done for hundreds of years http://www.2pass.co.uk/goodluck.htm#.TpDKPLJjN2I, why change now. Our steering wheel is also on the opposite side from Americans. Our steering wheel is on the right of the car not the left like Americans. Our handbrake is also next to us when driving, not on the wheel. Which to me is simpler

Dazza MXM

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Australian rules football is really complicated, there are so many rules. I'm sure there is an Australian sport where there are rugby posts but a football net underneath and a keeper between the posts. I can't remember what it is called though

Yeap there is........thats what we call Soccer ;)

Henrik Larsson

Away team at home team is standard on this continent. Only way that makes sense. :2 cents:
Yeah i get that now. It is just wierd how you say at somewhere. But again that is because i only know what other countries do. You only know the American way

Yeap there is........thats what we call Soccer ;)

So in your soccer you can pick up the ball and run with it. The one i am thinking of is a mix between Football and Rugby

squallumz

knows petras secret: she farted.
ok, now lets cover how elevators are called lifts and the proper way to pronounce "tomato."

PlumpRump

If FreeOnes was a woman, I'd marry her!
It has been done for hundreds of years http://www.2pass.co.uk/goodluck.htm#.TpDKPLJjN2I, why change now. Our steering wheel is also on the opposite side from Americans. Our steering wheel is on the right of the car not the left like Americans. Our handbrake is also next to us when driving, not on the wheel. Which to me is simpler

I was wondering this earlier today: in countries where the steering wheel is commonly on the right side of the vehicle, do mail carrier's vehicles have the steering wheel on the left hand side? In the US the steering wheel is commonly on the left and mail carrier vehicles have the steering wheel on the right for easier access to the mailbox.

Also, I've never seen a handbrake on the steering wheel/column. Don't know where you're getting that from?