• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

2020/2021 Olympics

The Tokyo Govt/IOC still seem adamant to hold them this year, while medical experts and even the local population don't.

Do you think we'll have a 2021 Olympics?

I get that cancelling them is a big deal, but I don't see why they can't just bump it back by 4 years. Paris is going to be fine, they could probably use the extra time to prepare anyways. It wouldn't be fair to Tokyo to lose the games outright, but to push through with it now, especially with no spectators just seems like a dumb idea.

gmase

Nattering Nabob of Negativism
... just seems like a dumb idea.
Reason #1 why they'll go on. As we all know, sports and logic frequently avoid each other. Sports and money are another matter. As long as the games/events can be televised, they will go on.

Reactions: sj1

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Do you think we'll have a 2021 Olympics?

I get that cancelling them is a big deal, but I don't see why they can't just bump it back by 4 years. Paris is going to be fine, they could probably use the extra time to prepare anyways. It wouldn't be fair to Tokyo to lose the games outright, but to push through with it now, especially with no spectators just seems like a dumb idea.
Tokyo has them this summer in 2021 because of the worldwide Pandemic. It will be nice to watch them on TV. Probably tape delayed, but better just the same.

I believe the cities going for the Olympics pay big endorsements to the IOC and other Olympic supporting organizations for participating in a pool. The winner is selected through confidential voting. You can't just bump Tokyo out of having the Summer Olympics. The waiting list is enormous. When I was young, an Olympics was run every four years. Now they alternate every two years. Winter for two. Summer for two. Beijing has the Winter Olympics in 2022. Paris has the Summer Olympics in 2024. Milan and the Cortina d'Ampezzo have the Winter Olympics in 2026. Los Angeles has the Summer Olympics in 2028.

Last edited:
Tokyo has them this summer in 2021 because of the worldwide Pandemic. It will be nice to watch them on TV. Probably tape delayed, but better just the same.

I believe the cities going for the Olympics pay big endorsements to the IOC and other Olympic supporting organizations for participating in a pool. The winner is selected through confidential voting. You can't just bump Tokyo out of having the Summer Olympics. The waiting list is enormous. When I was young, an Olympics was run every four years. Now they alternate every two years. Winter for two. Summer for two. Beijing has the Winter Olympics in 2022. Paris has the Summer Olympics in 2024. Milan and the Cortina d'Ampezzo have the Winter Olympics in 2026. Los Angeles has the Summer Olympics in 2028.
The 2 year cycle is why I didn't think of bumping it to 2022. If there were only summer olympics, that would have been perfect; I think we can agree that by summer 2022 we would be in a position to safely hold events like this. But there is a reason why we had Lillehammer in 1994.

Although, come to think of it, if they've made the exception to hold the games just two years from each other before, bumping it to 2022 should still be an option.

There are other factors too: It hasn't exactly been the best year for training over the past year, so the actual quality of the competition will suffer. Not to mention with all the restrictions, preparations leading up to the games have also suffered - look at the news from the training camps re quarantine, etc.
Tokyo is still under heavy restrictions and there's a very real possibility this could be an international super-spreader event.
The Tokyo olympics committee itself is a shitshow, with multiple resignations of top positions, as well as the recent suicide by train of one of them. The vast majority of Tokyo's population of isn't keen on having them now either.

I get that there's a lot of money involved. But it's also noted that the olympics are covered by an insurance policy, so no one is going to lose money; they just might make less.

gmase

gmase

NZ weightlifter to become first transgender athlete to compete at Games​

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/s...ete-hubbard-womens-tokyo-olympics-2021-06-20/

Oh boy. You can bet this debate is just getting started...
Interesting indeed. We have one athlete banned for performance-enhancing drugs and one athlete who qualified by taking performance-reducing drugs.

She meets the established criteria and makes a good point:
“Perhaps the fact that it has taken so long for someone like myself to come through indicates that some of the problems that people are suggesting aren’t what they might seem,”

I think it's possible to be supportive of trans rights but still be critical about cases where there is a distinct physical advantage.

Conversely, you have:
Semenya misses Tokyo, may be forced out of Olympics for good (msn.com)
I strongly feel this focus on testosterone alone is not right. You have a male who transitioned into a female, and there's no issue because their testosterones levels are "low enough", despite being a fully developed male athlete at the time of transition. Meanwhile, you have women (3 in this article alone) who naturally have high testosterone levels, lived their entire lives as females, then forced to take drugs or disqualified altogether. I feel much more sympathetic towards the latter.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Skateboarding is a sport? An Olympic event? Pshaw!! - Might as well bring in tidily-winks, hopscotch, marbles and jacks! Sad. Truly sad.

Give me back the days when Jennie Finch pitched softball. The U.S. Olympic softball team won gold in 2004 and silver in 2008. Then Will Clark, Mark McGwire, Barry Larkin, and Bobby Whitt played baseball as an "demonstration" event in 1984. The U.S. Olympic baseball team took the silver back then.

Last edited:
Reactions: sj1
On the "bright" side, the winter Olympics are just half a year away, and being held in China, it might be poetic justice that they might suffer some consequences as well. I don't know how much the world will change in 6 months, but I doubt things will be good enough to hold a "normal" olympics.

I always look forward to the opening ceremony
That I totally agree on. Can you imagine what mind-blowing tech/performances they'll have?
I hope they make some Japanese pop culture references like they did for the closing ceremonies for Rio.