• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Anime (Including CG, Western Animation) you're currently watching

tvstrip

I changed my middle-name to Freeones
I guess this is the best place for a thread like this. The lines between Japanese Anime and Western Animated films is getting blurred, throw in CG and there's a pretty big genre for discussion.

Any movies/series you're watching?

DC Animated films have always been my favourite. The writing is usually better than the live-action films and the actors seem to pull off the characters no matter who the VA is.
They's been using Japanese Anime studios a lot lately resulting in some absolute Masterpieces like Batman Ninja, and the western studios put out Batman vs TMNT this year which was an instant buy.

I loved how the BR has both JP and EN soundtracks, and hearing the differences is pretty cool

On the recommendation of Whimsy I'm going to be checking out Batman: Hush this weekend. One of the greatest Batman villains and still hasn't made an appearance in live-action (TV or Movie - AFAIK)

tvstrip

Hush was good. I like how the DC animated films will take established characters/storylines, but throw in some twists so things are still new, even if you have seen the original material.
Most of it was good, bringing in all the major batman villains without making it feel forced. It's also nice that they made references to the previous films (e.g. Reign of the Supermen) to keep the DC Animated Movie Universe a thing.

My only quip was the final battle seemed... a little anti-climactic.

I'm still surprised how much Rainn Wilson's Luthor sounds so different from his "Office" character.

~~whimsy~~

I'm too lazy to set a usertitle.
Not currently. But I watched all at least more than twice.

Batman and Super Apocalypse
Batman and Superman Public Enemies

The Dark Knight Part 1 and 2 (I found these so enjoyable I pretty much watch them almost once a month or so. The Joker alone in second part is so wonderful.

Spawn the HBO series

Starship Troopers films. Not so much the tv show, though it wasn't bad either. But the movies hold the mature themes and not watered down for kid friendly.

Halo Legends. Different anime art/directors for different stories.

Death of/Reign of Superman.

I found a Witchblade anime once. I really wish I finished the season when I did. Wow it was radically different but kudos on original take.

~~whimsy~~

Oh and Hulk vs Thor and Wolverine.

Suicide Squad Hell to Pay -- Ehh, it's worth one watch.

Batman Beyond/TAS

Batman Assault on Arkham that is grand.

And tonight if I can I am going to watch Batman Gotham by Gaslight for first time.

The Resident Evil CGI flicks. Only ones I haven't watched (completed) are Vendetta and some of Regeneration.

I'm not gonna get into Anime really because then the post will break the topic haha

But all these are my high recommendations.

Oh and the Batman Under the Red Hood and Bad Blood. They used to be on Netflix but they are worth one watch.

I wholly agree with you about DC animation films. This is where they shine.

Oh and Batman The Killing Joke. Though I watched it three times hoping I'd be swayed. Honestly it does such a disservice to Alan Moore's graphic novel I can only recommend one watch if you haven't already and definitely let me know what you think.

tvstrip

Gaslight was pretty cool. I love these alternate universes where the characters get a version reflecting their setting. Again, the twist is something you don't see coming. It's just too bad that you had Ivy as a stripper/prostitute and she doesn't get much screentime or even use her powers :( (I don't think that's a spoiler because it's literally in the first 3 minutes of the film)

Killing Joke I had high hopes for, being such an iconic part of the Bats/Joker story. I think you'd enjoy it if you never read the comic ("All it takes is One bad day" is such a boss line), but compared to the original it does seem to be missing a little. I feel they didn't go far enough and where scared that either it would piss off censors or maybe raise the standards too high for the upcoming Joker film (which was in development at the time IIRC).

The old school DC animated are classics. I still need to see Phantasm, but I still remember my seeing The return of the Joker and that blew my mind; I couldn't believe that a western animation could be that mature/violent. It showed that the DC animated films aren't for kids.

And don't be shy about sharing what Anime you're watching! (well, not all at once)

darkwarrior3007

1,000 posts to go for my own user title!
I watch a lot of anime. Just got through watching Canaan and trying to figure out what I should watch next in my collection. I just ordered Akame ga Kill! and Samurai Bride through Sentai Filmworks 90% off sale that ends tonight.

~~whimsy~~

I still have Batman Phantasm on VHS lol very nice storyline!

Killing Joke is and I'll say it: only for those that did not read the book! I'm not gonna add spoilers but some scenes in there and I'm sure you know especially of the one, had no place whatsoever in that bastardized film. I demand a mulligan :1orglaugh

Some anime that stuck with me over the years that I might try to find and rewatch for some are:

Perfect Blue
Ninja Scroll
Akira
Blood The Last Vampire
Vampire Hunter D (I still need watch Bloodlust)
Studio Ghibli films (Pom Poko lol)

What I like on Netflix

Castlevania
The Batman ones are alright worth a watch I do not know if they are Netflix originals though...
Gunslinger Girl

All I can think of right now.

I love animated films lol absolutely love them.

darkwarrior3007

Killing Joke is and I'll say it: only for those that did not read the book! I'm not gonna add spoilers but some scenes in there and I'm sure you know especially of the one, had no place whatsoever in that bastardized film. I demand a mulligan :1orglaugh

I've read the book and other than the beginning of the film which came out of left field, I enjoyed the film. Kinda like how I feel about Hush, except it's the ending that came out of left field that I didn't enjoy.

~~whimsy~~

I want to watch Hush. But I'm worried. I really enjoyed the arc all that time ago. I don't know... I know I will but I end up finding something in lieu of. I'll finally give it a chance.

darkwarrior3007

Hush is one of my favorite Batman stories ever. I have the graphic novel and all of the issues in single form and was anticipating the film. The ending, the twist disappointed me because it wasn't needed and it should have been left intact as it was in the comic. Other than that, overall the film was good.

tvstrip

IMO the Hush twist was still welcome. It didn't destroy the original premise while still offering something new for those who read the graphic novel. I'd rather have some differences instead of a straight up animated adaption, but again, that's only my opinion.
What I'm wondering about is that Hush made it clear they are in the same continuity as the previous films and not standalone one-shots/alternate universes like Gaslight. So if they killed off a pretty main character, do they stay dead? In this case there is some wiggle room, but otherwise it might be precedent for some pretty heavy plot armor.

That was one of the best parts of Flashpoint. They could kill anyone and everyone without any ramifications.

Mods: Can we please get spoiler tags? (Unless we already do?
doesn't seem to work)

Whimsy, we will definitely get into a discussion about Ghibli. You're talking to someone who actually visited many of the places IRL that served as the model/inspiration for the iconic locations :)

~~whimsy~~

Has anybody watched the Hulk vs Thor/Wolverine? It is currently on Netflix too. I highly recommend that. It's basically action packed with enough story to justify funding lol

Not to ruin by showing too much here is snippet. There's also a Cameo

~~whimsy~~

I found there is a Dante's Inferno and Dead Space animated film too. Anybody watch them? I would think Dead Space wpuld be cool. Also I came across a CGI Dragon Age film. Stay away from that one. I watched maybe 15 minutes of it before switching it off. Wow... terrible

darkwarrior3007

I have Dante's Inferno, I thought it was a good adaptation of the game. I also have Bayonetta which I liked, I'd only played the demo of the first game. I've never seen the Dead Space film.

tvstrip

If we're talking about CG movies based on games, there is an Assassin's Creed one that shows what happened to Ezio after the games.

But in terms of game-based anime movies, you gotta go with the fighting games, mainly original Street Fighter 2 anime and the Fatal Fury Trilogy.

Whether it's Chun-Li or Mai, you can't go wrong with breast fan service :)

D-rock

If the video games are anything to go by that Chung-Li vs. Vega fight was way too close. Vega has been sucky champion in all the games he has been in.

tvstrip

This might be an obscure one, but anyone watch Neuro: Supernatural Detective? (Majin Tantei Nōgami Neuro)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro:_Supernatural_Detective

Being from 2005 it's a little old, but I've been playing the DS game based on the anime, and recently binging the series. I never finished the manga/anime, and it's been so long it's basically new to me again.
It's in the vein of Conan/Kindaichi, but with supernatural elements with some pretty gruesome deaths. Anime is much more sanitized though.

~~whimsy~~

I have heard of it but never watched. I'm very selective on my anime. It could have a great story but if I don't like the animation I am already biased

tvstrip

This one is for Adam & anyone who grew up with arcade/consoles in the 90's, esp fighting games like Street Fighter 2.
It's a love-comedy between gamers set in the 90s, and with the backing of Capcom, Sega etc it really does a great job of integrating the games into the storyline & humor.
It's based on a manga that recently concluded, and with Japanese Anime Seasons being so short, it only got halfway through the story in it's tv run, but it was popular enough that the remaining chapters are coming out as an OVA/BR.

Anime Soundtrack is also composed by Yoko Shimomura, the genius behind countless iconic games, including Street Fighter 2

Highly Recommended!