• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

DuanCulo

Staff member

Danielle Curiel, better known by her stage name DaniLeigh (pronounced DANI-LAY), is no newcomer when it comes to the world of music fandom. Although Summer with Friends is the 22 year old songstress’ album debut, Dani has been dancing professionally since childhood. Backing up such performers as Pharrell and Nelly Furtado were common gigs for the teenager, but her big break came when Prince (yes, that Prince) asked her to write, direct, and star in his music video for “Breakfast Can Wait” at the age of 18.

Things took off for the aspiring singer after that and, with a little help from The Purple One, DaniLeigh went on to sign a deal with Def Jam Records and move from backing up famous performers to giving a go at it herself. Highsnobiety Music sat down with DaniLeigh at Def Jam’s studio in Los Angeles to discuss the feedback from Summer With Friends, what’s next for the singer, and how the South Floridian enjoys playing homage to her Dominican roots by mixing elements of Latin pop with trap and hip-hop.

Your full name is Danielle Curiel. Where did the stage name DaniLeigh originate?

When I started high school, everyone used to call me Dani. My first name is Danielle, but I’m such a tomboy that I think Danielle was too girly for me. Leigh is actually my middle name.
Your fans are called DaniLions. Did you come up with that name or did they coin it themselves?

I was trying to figure out a good name for my fans. First there was “Leighers” and then the “Sleighers”, but I didn’t think those names were cool enough. Guys are not going to want to be called “the Sleighers”. I wanted all of my fans to feel included, so I started asking myself what a powerful, inclusive name would sound like. A lion is powerful. A lion is the king. They’re courageous and confident and that’s what my brand is about. My fans are strong. Their support is strong.
You started your career as a dancer. How did you make the transition to singer/songwriter?

I started off dancing in music videos. I did award shows with lots of artists. Dancing is my passion, but I knew I loved music, and I just wanted to be on tour for my own brand. I was tired of being in the background. I was always doing music, even as a dancer, so the artists I was working with knew I was a singer but that dancing was what paid the bills. It was definitely a struggle, but music was always my number one passion. The ride has been good.
Was music always a part of your upbringing?

Yeah, absolutely. My dad and his sisters sang in church. He and my mom both came from the Heights. My mom was a dancer and a model back in the day so it definitely runs through my blood. Even just having music at family parties… We were such an artistic family. My brother and little sister are also involved with music.
Who are some musicians that you look up to?

I would say my past influences would be Aaliyah, because she was just so cool, and her voice was effortless and beautiful. Rihanna – because she’s just such a trendsetter. She can get on any type of track and kill it. I also really love Drake. I’ve always wanted to collaborate with him. He’s just so international and smart. He says what everyone wants to say, you know?
You directed, starred in, and wrote the music video for Prince’s “Breakfast Can Wait” at the age of eighteen with no prior directing experience. How did that opportunity come about?

That was crazy. Prince reached out to me via email and said he wanted me to direct and write a treatment for his music video. He gave me a whole budget and I made the video happen. That was the peak of my career. It was the first that time that all eyes were on me.
Was Prince a mentor to you after that experience?

Yeah, for sure. I was in a band back then and he would pay for some of our videos. He even put us in the ESSENCE Festival. I learned a lot about the music industry through him.
What was it like for you after he passed?

It was definitely difficult. I thought Prince was invincible. I just didn’t expect it. He wasn’t even a party person. It’s really sad.
Summer With Friends came out in September. How has the feedback been?

It’s the first project I’ve ever dropped and it’s been crazy and really cool to see the ablum come to life. It’s been dope. Everyone likes it, and everyone’s telling me I have my own sound, which is cool.
Tell me more about the album’s unique sound. You have elements of trap, hip-hop, and Latin pop in each song. How involved are you in the writing process?

I feel like my music is so real to me right now. People always told me I should be a certain way as an artist, but right now is the moment where I’m showing who I want to be. I feel like the album really is me. I’m a Dominican girl who loves trap music, who was raised in South Florida, and then brought up in California. I really feel like my music is just a perfect blend of who I am.
What’s next for you?

Right now, I’m pretty much recording. I was going to drop a new project in November, but I think I’m just going to let Summer with Friends sit for a bit. I don’t want to over-saturate too much at once. Top of the year, I’ll be coming out with something new. I’m also working on a small little EP of Spanish vibes to show some love to my Dominicans. It’s dope. I’m also shooting a movie to show my fans a little bit of my life.

5 reasons to see DaniLeigh live
By: Tom Shackleford AXS Contributor May 1, 2018
32 32 16541761 6 y2018m05d01
5 reasons to see DaniLeigh live
YouTube

In a music industry where the new talent turnaround is almost as constant and competitive as professional baseball, it can be tough to keep up with all the artists who now all have much larger means of exposure and discovery thanks to the Internet. One of the artists who continues to steadily grow and build her brand and fanbase is singer DaniLeigh, who just recently shared her latest single, “Life.” The recording artist from Los Angeles brings a lively and fun sound the R&B crossover genre which is dominating pop music at the moment. Over the last few years DaniLeigh, whose real name is Danielle Curiel, has released a handful of singles and EPs which seem to fit right into where popular music is headed, with seductive beats and catchy production work to match her sleek and confident feminist lyrical messages.

One of the big reasons why fans should make a point to catch a DaniLeigh show next time she’s in town is that her music just sounds good - it’s easy to enjoy and provides good energy for a night out. For those who may need more convincing, however, here are five more reasons to catch the rising artist in concert.

1. She’s got the backing from “Insecure’s” Issa Rae
HBO’s “Insecure” may only be two seasons in, but the popular show’s musical selection has helped in establishing itself as a vehicle for fantastic music to aid the storyline. Artists ranging from SZA to John Legend can be found on the Seasons 1 & 2 playlist found on Spotify, in addition to DaniLeigh’s own “Lurkin” off her 2017 Play EP. It’s worth noting that the track was also featured on the soundtrack for Spike Lee’s Netflix series, “She’s Gotta Have It.”

2. She’s cut her teeth learning from the best - Prince
DaniLeigh as a recording artist may still be on the “Up-And-Coming” radar for most media outlets and fans, but she’s actually been doing the whole performing thing for a while now. She spent her teen years providing backup dancing for artists including Pharrell, Nelly Furtado and the late Prince, who even asked her write/direct/perform in his music video for “Breakfast Can Wait” when she was just 18-years-old.

3. She was born to entertain
As DaniLeigh explains, she’s had the desire to entertain her friends, family and fans since a young age. She’s most likely looking back on the decision to start performing as a good one, as it eventually led her to getting gigs dancing with Meghan Trainor, Pitbull and Daddy Yankee, just to name a few.
“I started dancing when I was twelve years old. I actually always sang as a little girl, but for some reason I was super shy to sing in front of anybody. I finally came out of my shell when I started doing covers and putting them out on YouTube when I was like 14.”

4. She has studied the loose and fun feel of 1990s R&B vibe down to a science
Like many 20-somethings around the U.S. these days, DaniLeigh’s musical taste was heavily influenced by her favorite artists, Aaliyah and Missy Elliott. The two artists were commercial powerhouses back in the 1990s with their unapologetic style and lyrics, which still motivate DaniLeigh to this day.
“I think my style is very 90’s driven. I am low-key stuck in the 90’s,” she admitted recently. “I go thrifting all the time just to find cool pieces because I don’t like to wear things you can find at a typical store.”

5. She’s an animal lover
Regardless of whether or not you’re into DaniLeigh’s music, there’s one thing that we can at least all agree on - which is her love for puppies. In a recent video interview (see above) Curiel admitted that she was obsessed with dogs as a kid. So much so that she even considered a career as a veterinarian before realizing that music and dancing were her true passions. While she may not be able to save the life of a kitten while performing, there’s always the chance of seeing some cute puppies at one of her shows.

Who Is DaniLeigh?
You haven’t heard sugar and spice until you’ve heard Miami-born DaniLeigh — with a sultry voice that’s punctuated by bold delivery and a carefree attitude, the 22-year-old triple threat is the perfect combination of sweet and sassy. And despite her rapid rise to success, she’s still the girl next door who can Milly Rock better than anyone you know. Her Dominican upbringing heavily influences her love of dance and shines through in her music as well.

From singing to dancing to creative directing, DaniLeigh has always been a self-starter: “I finally came out of my shell when I started doing covers and putting them out on YouTube when I was 14,” she remembers. After steadily building a loyal fanbase, she moved to Los Angeles in 2011, where she was later discovered by Prince and worked on his “Breakfast Can Wait” video: “I was 18, and that was my very first, big directing gig.” DaniLeigh has since racked up experience dancing on stage, alongside the likes of Meghan Trainor, Pitbull and Pharell, in addition to playing lead dancer in music videos for Daddy Yankee, Nelly Furtado, and TimeFlies, eventually signing to Def Jam at the start of 2017.

With plans to release her debut project, Summer with Friends, this Fall, DaniLeigh has given fans a taste of her talent with tracks like “Lurkin,” and “Play,” ft. Kap G. Get to know the girl behind the music, and learn more about her two new tracks.

Did you know early on that you wanted to sing and dance?
Yeah, I started dancing when I was twelve years old. I actually always sang as a little girl, but for some reason I was super shy to sing in front of anybody. I finally came out of my shell when I started doing covers and putting them out on YouTube when I was like 14.

Who were some of your biggest influences growing up?
My biggest influences were probably Aaliyah and Missy Elliott; her creative vision was so dope to me. She always has the coolest videos that incorporate dance. I also love Rihanna. Her style, and just every record she got on, she just delivered.

Photo: Mike Ricardo Ent

How would you describe your style?
I think my style is very 90’s driven. I am low-key stuck in the 90’s. I go thrifting all the time just to find cool pieces because I don’t like to wear things you can find at a typical store.

You’re a singer, dancer, and direct, but what do you think you enjoy the most?
I think it all starts with the music, so I would say singing because that’s what brings the inspiration behind the creative directing and the dance moves.

How do you find inspiration for your music?
Through life honestly. All my music is very real to me so I definitely just go off what I’m going through in the moment or the beat usually inspires me. I can always visualize a music video when I hear the beat.

Can you discuss how your Latin culture influences your music?
I was raised in a big Dominican family and we would have all these parties with meringue and bachata so that just kind of flows through my blood. When it comes to my music, I love to incorporate that too to show love and respect to my people and to show that I love being Dominican.

Can you talk about “Play” and “Lurkin” the inspiration behind each single?
“Play” is about this moment right now. I just got this deal with Def Jam so I felt like I just made a play. I’m finally going because I’ve been doing this for a long time - six years out here in Cali working hard and grinding and then finally hitting that big opportunity, so that was my play and that’s how that came about.

“Lurkin” was actually a fun song that started through a conversation. I was in the studio with Goldie the writer and Cosign and we were talking about how people are always lurking on Instagram and then I was like “why y’all always lurkin?” and then she started doing melodies, I started doing melodies, and Co started playing the beat and that's just how that song came about.

What does it mean for you to be a part of Def Jam?
To be a part of Def Jam is just a number one goal that I’ve always had in my life, honestly. The fact that my one of my biggest influences, Rihanna, started out at Def Jam is huge deal to me. I felt Def Jam didn’t have anybody like me, so I felt like it was a good spot for me to be in. They believed in my vision, who I was and weren’t trying to change me and let me be true to who I am and that means everything.

By Nishat Baig

Hi I'm DaniLeigh ("Dani LAY") I'm a 23 yr old Dominican singer/dancer from South Florida out in Los Angeles who wants to inspire the world with my music!
Danileigh

When the end of Summer hits, the desire to rewind time kicks in, reliving every magical moment from the season’s past. It’s a vibe that newcomer DaniLeigh has managed to encapsulate in her debut EP Summer With Friends, coming soon. The 22-year-old singing and dancing phenomenon cut her teeth in the business when she directed a music video for her late mentor, Prince. She enhanced her buzz with back-to-back jams “Play” (featuring Kap G) and “Lurkin’”, and is here to continue her mission of making music that both sounds and feels good.

The South Florida native had music in her blood, singing from a young age. As an early teen, DaniLeigh recorded YouTube covers of songs like Musiq Soulchild’s “So Beautiful,” though she wasn’t quite ready for the big time. “I was really shy,” she admits, “and I didn’t realize the unique sound of my voice until later on.” It wasn’t until a few years later when she moved to Los Angeles at 16 that DaniLeigh began harnessing her craft. In LA she found her footing in the music industry, starting with dancing. “I was dancing in music videos, commercials, you name it,” she recalls. “From there, I met a lot of producers onset and just networked.” Singing became the secret weapon, as DaniLeigh would reveal her chops and be invited to studios for recording sessions. However, a life-changing encounter with the legendary Prince would be the real catalyst.

After learning of DaniLeigh’s talents as a dancer (through a one-minute video clip), the Purple One reached out to have her direct his video for “Breakfast Can Wait” at just 18 years old. The video hit worldwide, appearing on networks like MTV, BET, and REVOLT. Prince ultimately took DaniLeigh under his wing, mentoring her budding singing career. His untimely death in 2016 left a void in DaniLeigh’s life, though his presence is still felt as DaniLeigh’s star is only getting brighter.

“Play” truly kicked things off. The high-energy single is described by DaniLeigh as an empowering anthem for women. “It’s a bold statement,” she says of the cut, which carries a message of “making a play” in all areas of life. “I’m a very positive person and this song I feel can help motivate people to put in that work,” she says. Bringing Kap G (who is of Mexican descent) into the fold as a feature was her way of uniting more Latinos in music, as DaniLeigh’s Dominican heritage is evident in both her style and sound. The single “Lurkin’” immediately followed, as a slick nod to social those stalkers who don’t congratulate moves, yet look on from the social media sidelines. The song even made its way to the HBO hit series Insecure. The stage is now set for DaniLeigh to show the diverse angles of her talent on a grander scale.

Aptly titled Summer With Friends, the upcoming EP sums up DaniLeigh’s past few months, which she lightheartedly describes as “just having fun and working.” The relatable nature of the project brings forth the aforementioned singles, along with feel good songs that channel the young artist’s inspirations including Aaliyah, Missy Elliott, and Drake while showing her ability to fuse hip-hop and R&B with poppier electronic-driven vibes. Songs like “Questions” playfully target those relationship interrogation sessions (Where were you? Who were you with?), while “Ex” is a self-explanatory track about the now-single artist’s previous romance. “He got one song,” she jokes. Other cuts like the infectious “On” and “All I Know” show DaniLeigh’s versatility within the pop-urban landscape, while “All Day” highlights her Dominican roots. “That’s a bachata beat underneath [the production],” she proudly points out. “The time right now is in alignment, showing that things are going the right way.” As DaniLeigh unveils her debut Summer With Friends and the projects that follow, she maintains her goal of positive music, though has one wish involving one important angel by her side. “I always say I wish Prince was here to see all of this happening with me right now,” she says. “It’s okay though. I know he’s watching.”

Attachments

• 61614-image_5be0c99446ccc.jpg
    61614-image_5be0c99446ccc.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 384
  • yCtB5FT0_400x400.jpg
    yCtB5FT0_400x400.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 383
  • 47692008_220814685505351_4116140722946477521_n[1].jpg
    47692008_220814685505351_4116140722946477521_n[1].jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 378

DuanCulo

Staff member