• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Global Warming/Climate Change

D-rock

I'm too lazy to set a usertitle.
Does anybody else think it's sad this has to be in the politics section? Could you imagine a discussion about whether the Earth is flat or not being a political subject and needing to be in the politics section and not an objective issue almost entirely backed by virtually all science to a completely overwhelming degree?

Luxman

#TRE45ON
Global Warming/Climate Change is real, but it's not an exact science, there are many contributing factors. Even if there was overwhelming evidence that industry is the main cause, it will be politics that decides how we try to slow it down, and how much money will be spent. Republicans pander to large corporations and deny Global Warming/Climate Change. They removed regulations and cut funding that may help slow down global warming. They don't even care about pollution killing people, unless it affects them directly.
The only solution will be some new 100% clean technology that replaces all fossil fuels, but that will probably come too late because corporations and republicans will greedily try to prevent the replacement of oil, gas, and coal profits.
Most of us probably won't be alive when the climate reaches the point of no return tipping point, that's why most people don't care.

Hey Lux, what do you think of electric cars? I've been thinking a lot about vehicles lately and may consider buying an electric truck in 5 years if they are reliable and easy to charge. Do you have an electric car or are you thinking of purchasing one soon?

tvstrip

I changed my middle-name to Freeones
It's predicted that the next big wave a refugees is not going to be war or persecution, but "Climate change refugees". These are going to be from countries where climate change has destroyed agriculture, made land unsurvivable, or even put it underwater.

Luxman

#TRE45ON
Hey Lux, what do you think of electric cars? I've been thinking a lot about vehicles lately and may consider buying an electric truck in 5 years if they are reliable and easy to charge. Do you have an electric car or are you thinking of purchasing one soon?
I don't have an electric car or truck. Most videos I've seen about EV's say that they are worse than gas cars. EV's are more expensive, break down more often, harder to service, etc.
I would probably go for a hybrid EV, with a small gas engine that automatically charges the battery when it gets low, and can run only on the gas engine if the battery isn't working.

I don't have an electric car or truck. Most videos I've seen about EV's say that they are worse than gas cars. EV's are more expensive, break down more often, harder to service, etc.
I would probably go for a hybrid EV, with a small gas engine that automatically charges the battery when it gets low, and can run only on the gas engine if the battery isn't working.

They are expensive. I saw a Ford F150 Lightning electric truck with all the bells & whistles possibly plus a markup going for $110K. GMC has an electric truck and Hummer makes an electric SUV. Pretty nice looking but sorta pricey. How are Regular Joes like us supposed to afford that? I could put another 150,000 miles on my truck without being forced to answer that. I drive about 6,000 miles per year too. If you look at gas on a "per month basis" I don't spend too much money. Even with goofy California gas prices I probably spend between $150-175 per month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_fossil_fuel_vehicles
They're going to have to figure that out soon, because in just over 10 years you won't have a choice...

Do you really believe that will actually happen? So in 10 years you will not be able to buy a brand new gas operated vehicle? What happens if there are enough working people who also vote regularly who need new cars but cannot afford the extra money an electric car costs? Will the power grid be capable of charging all these new electric cars to keep up with the demand? Will the politicians blink if the voters push back hard enough against them? A law is only good as the enforcement.

If this does happen you and me should get together and buy a ton of gas operated vehicles 9 years from now to sell because you know there will be a high demand from those who still do not want electric cars.

tvstrip

Do you really believe that will actually happen? So in 10 years you will not be able to buy a brand new gas operated vehicle? What happens if there are enough working people who also vote regularly who need new cars but cannot afford the extra money an electric car costs? Will the power grid be capable of charging all these new electric cars to keep up with the demand? Will the politicians blink if the voters push back hard enough against them? A law is only good as the enforcement.
All of these are great questions. And almost none of them have even theoretical answers before they set this pipe-dream of a due date. It's annoying that the politicians who set this date are not going to be in power (or in Joe's case, possibly not even alive) when this kicks in. They just wanted to make themselves look good today.

On your last point, A HUGE factor is going to be who is in power in these countries in 2034. If it's the GOP in US or Conservatives in Canada, I'm 99.9% sure it won't happen.
And if these parties are smart, they will make this into a central election promise - that if elected, they'll postpone or scrap the idea. Unless EVs are massively discounted to the point where they are equal to ICE vehicles, there will be voters who will decide just on this issue. And unlike so many election promises, a commitment to scrapping the deal is 100% believable.

If this does happen you and me should get together and buy a ton of gas operated vehicles 9 years from now to sell because you know there will be a high demand from those who still do not want electric cars.
Or we could start a car dealership in a Mexican border town and make bank from 2035-2040?

tvstrip

EV owners are increasingly frustrated with home charging, and it should worry every electric car maker
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/new...d-worry-every-electric-car-maker/ar-AA18Ivnj?

A new J.D. Power study of EV owners who use Level 2 home-charging stations found that overall satisfaction in the home charging experiences has declined 12 points since last year. (More on EV charger types here). A major factor in this decline in satisfaction was the inflationary rise in electricity prices, the study found.

If electricity prices go so high that it costs just as much as gas, if not more, to charge your vehicle, that destroys the "EV's will be cheaper in the long-run" argument.
Worse yet, while you can cut down on gas by not driving as much, we're only going to more and more reliant with electricity, so that's going to get less discretionary. So governments are going to need to regulate electricity prices as well if they're going to force EV's on everyone.

Don't underestimate an angry bunch of voters who still want gas operated vehicles. As long as we stay together and do not allow the vermin politicians to divide us then we still have the power to make them unemployed.

Luxman

#TRE45ON
Gas engine cars probably won't be phased out before 2050.

California’s gas-car phaseout brings turmoil to mom-and-pop gas stations
(The mandate allows 20% of what the state calls “zero-emission” vehicles to be plug-in hybrids, which can either run on electric batteries or on fossil fuels.) But owners of vehicles with internal combustion engines will still be permitted to operate or resell them after 2035.
https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2022-10-30/la-gas-stations-future

Gas engine cars probably won't be phased out before 2050.

California’s gas-car phaseout brings turmoil to mom-and-pop gas stations
(The mandate allows 20% of what the state calls “zero-emission” vehicles to be plug-in hybrids, which can either run on electric batteries or on fossil fuels.) But owners of vehicles with internal combustion engines will still be permitted to operate or resell them after 2035.
https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2022-10-30/la-gas-stations-future

Many of the poorer folks vote Democrat. Do you think the Democrats who run California would risk alienating that many voters? They might not vote Republican and also might not bother to vote at all. Why reward someone who punishes you? The people are in charge as long as they are united. Lux, you and me are pretty close on this topic.

Orban89

Adam said I am a Noodle Brain

IPCC report: Here’s how we can defuse the ‘ticking time bomb’ of climate change

tvstrip

Don't underestimate an angry bunch of voters who still want gas operated vehicles. As long as we stay together and do not allow the vermin politicians to divide us then we still have the power to make them unemployed.
No doubt. But I do wonder how strong that conviction is.

Let's say it's 2032 US elections. Say you have don jr or a desantis 2.0 as the GOP nominee who promises to ditch the law, while the Dem candidate promises they will see it through. Who do you vote for?

Orban89

'Frightening': Scientists confirm 2022 was Europe's second warmest year and hottest summer ever

Orban89

Record heat, sea level rise and melting ice: New report highlights climate change’s global advance