• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Other Sports

Smallville22

I can set my own custom title!
Westwood rust-free after winter in Florida

Lee Westwood has never felt so well prepared for the start of a new season after having swapped the snow of Britain for the sunshine of Florida, the world number eight said on Tuesday.
The European Ryder Cup stalwart, who has taken up membership of the US PGA Tour this year, makes his first competitive outing of 2013 at this week's $2.5 million (£1.59m) Dubai Desert Classic.
"I played a lot more this winter than I would normally play and there's no rust," Westwood told reporters. "The main reason for moving to Florida was to get more games of golf as I wouldn't play normally when I'm at home because of the weather.
"Last week I had shorts on and was out playing with (world number three) Luke Donald. Living in England I've always finished the year, gone home, packed the clubs away and came back out trying to catch everyone else.
"My short game is sharper from being out there especially my putting," added Westwood.
The 39-year-old Englishman has a proud record at the Dubai Classic, having been runner-up in 1999, 2010 and 2012 and amassed a total of seven top-10 finishes, but he has yet to chalk up a victory in 19 appearances in the event.
"I should have won when I was up against Miguel (Angel Jimenez) in a playoff in 2010. Then last year I had to birdie the last to force a playoff with Rafa (Cabrera-Bello) and missed it so I feel like I've let a couple slip," said Westwood.
"It's certainly one I would like to win. Hopefully this week I'll play as well as I've played the last few years and have a chance again and finish it off."
Westwood said the cream normally rises to the top at the Emirates Golf Club.
"It's a good test which is probably why it has had good winners on it," he explained.
"You look at the winners from the last few years and they're not short hitters - Rory McIlroy, Alvaro Quiros, Henrik Stenson and Tiger Woods.
"It's a sand-based course so you don't get much run from your tee shots. It certainly helps to be able to reach the par-fives in two."
Spaniard Cabrera-Bello will be defending the title he won 12 months ago and is joined in the field by last week's Qatar Masters champion Chris Wood of Britain.
Sergio Garcia of Spain, who finished one stroke behind Wood in Doha, also gets a chance to go one better at the final stop on the European Tour's three-week desert swing.

Smallville22

Winged Foot to host 2020 US Open

The US Open will be held at Winged Foot for the sixth time when the second major golf championship of the season is staged at the New York course in 2020.
"We're thrilled to bring the U.S. Open back to this outstanding club," said United States Golf Association vice president Thomas J. O'Toole Jr.
"Winged Foot offers a spectacular setting in a dynamic market and has justifiably earned its reputation as one of the premier U.S. Open venues in the nation."
The course, located 25 miles north of New York City in Westchester County, last hosted the US Open in 2006 when Australian Geoff Ogilvy pipped American duo Phil Mickelson and Jim Furyk and Colin Montgomerie of Scotland to the title.
Monty will not be happy to return the course: he famously mis-hit his approach to the final green to rack up a double-bogey when a par would have been enough to give him the title.
Winged Foot also staged the championship in 1929, 1959, 1974 and 1984.
The Oakmont Country Club in Pennsylvania, the venue in 2016, has staged the tournament eight times.
Baltusrol in New Jersey hosted the U.S. Open for the seventh time in 1993 while Oakland Hills in Michigan staged the championship for the sixth occasion in 1996.
Pebble Beach in California will be the venue for the sixth time in 2019.

Smallville22

Golf - World rankings

The latest world rankings.

1. (1) Rory McIlroy (Northern Ireland) 12.43 average points

2. (2) Tiger Woods 9.28

3. (3) Luke Donald (England) 7.94

4. (4) Justin Rose (England) 6.63

5. (5) Louis Oosthuizen (South Africa) 6.60

6. (6) Adam Scott (Australia) 6.08

7. (8) Brandt Snedeker 5.74

8. (7) Lee Westwood (England) 5.69

9. (9) Bubba Watson 5.26

10. (11) Jason Dufner 5.15

11. (10) Steve Stricker 5.05

12. (13) Ian Poulter (England) 4.99

13. (12) Keegan Bradley 4.91

14. (19) Sergio Garcia (Spain) 4.82

15. (14) Dustin Johnson 4.77

16. (15) Webb Simpson 4.77

17. (16) Charl Schwartzel (South Africa) 4.62

18. (17) Graeme McDowell (Northern Ireland) 4.56

19. (21) Nick Watney 4.54

20. (18) Peter Hanson (Sweden) 4.51

(US unless stated, last week's positions in brackets)

Smallville22

WTCC - Basseng takes Daytona 24 Hours podium

New World Touring Car Championship driver Marc Basseng began the motorsport season in style by claiming a podium at the Daytona 24 Hours.
Basseng, who will race with ALL-LINKL-COM Münnich Motorsport, finished the Florida enduro in second position in the GT class as he shared an Audi R8 Grand-Am with Ian Baas, Frank Stippler and René Rast.
The German car, run by APR Motorsport, completed 678 laps at Daytona, crossing the finishing line only 1.5 seconds after the winning sister car of Alex Job Racing.
Markus Winkelhock, who shared the 2012 FIA GT title with Basseng and will join him in WTCC, was classified seventh, one lap behind. Winhelhock was also at the wheel of an APR Motorsport Audi R8.

Smallville22

GP2 - Rosenzweig completes Addax line-up

Jake Rosenzweig has completed the Addax line-up for this year's GP2 Series.
The 23-year-old American made his GP2 debut with the squad at Monza last year and also competed at Marina Bay, taking a best finish of 15th.
He is optimistic of becoming a regular points scorer alongside his new team-mate Rio Haryanto.
"I am excited to be joining Addax for the 2013 GP2 season and wish to thank all involved for making this possible," Rosenzweig said.
"Having raced in the final two rounds of the 2012 championship with Addax, I know what an opportunity this represents to be working with them again.
"The race calendar has some great circuits and I am looking forward to hitting the ground running. I will do my best to score as many points as possible over the course of the season."
Rosenzweig's full-time programmes during the past two years have come in Formula Renault 3.5. He finished 15th in the 2011 points and set one fastest lap, and added 21st overall last year. He has also been a podium finisher in the F3 Euro Series.

GP2 - Trummer joins Rapax for GP2

Simon Trummer will move to Rapax for his second season in GP2.
The 23-year-old Swiss driver joins race winner Stefano Coletti at the squad.
"I followed their races in the last few years and I'm sure I'll be able to take full advantage from some great support from them," said Trummer.
"Being able to run a second season in GP2 is a chance that some drivers don't get and I hope to reward the staff which support me with the best possible results."
Trummer only finished 23rd in the standings in his GP2 rookie season, but Rapax team boss Andrea Bergamini is confident he can make strong progress in 2013.
"Last year, making his debut in a tough series for rookies like GP2, he showed he is a consistent driver and adopted a really professional approach," Bergamini said.
"We hope to contribute to his growth and we admit we're looking forward to guiding him to his maiden top-notch results in the championship."

Smallville22

Superbike - Melandri and Sykes pleased with test

Goldbet BMW rider Marco Melandri was officially fastest on the second day of World Superbike testing at Jerez, but Kawasaki claimed that Tom Sykes went quicker.
Sykes and team-mate Loris Baz ran without transponders on their bikes - and the team said the Briton set a mark of 1:40.5.
Italian Melandri managed 1:40.758, with Davide Guigliano second and Eugene Laverty third on Aprilias.
"We have to be very happy after this test. We learned some things yesterday [in the wet] and also today in dry track conditions," said Sykes.
"We were able to test very constructively."
Melandri reflected: "Today was very positive and I think we are well prepared for Phillip Island. We tested a lot of things, for example regarding electronics and got a clear understanding which direction we have to take.
"Of course, there is still work to do but especially with the chassis and the electronics we made a good step."
Northern Irishman Laverty suffered low-speed crash which he played down later.
"The crash was due to a loss of grip when I tried pushing beyond the track grip limit, but it didn't compromise our testing sessions," he said.
Pata Honda riders Leon Haslam and Jonathan Rea were frustrated by electronic glitches in the new software systems designed by Honda's MotoGP project team.
"Some things just can’t be fixed on site and the electronics problem we had was one of those. The system was taking too much power away so we really needed more track time to sort that out," said Rea.

Results

1 Marco Melandri Goldbet BMW 1'40.758

2 Davide Guigliano Althea Aprilia 1'40.861

3 Eugene Laverty Aprilia 1'41.044

4 Leon Camier Fixi Suzuki 1'41.184

5 Jonathan Rea Pata Honda 1'41.641

6 Sylvain Guintoli Aprilia 1'41.683

7 Chaz Davies Goldbet BMW 1'41.726

8 Leon Haslam Pata Honda 1'42.411

9 Jules Cluzel Fixi Suzuki 1'42.632

Smallville22

Motorcycling - Stoner: MotoGP full of 'puppets'

Casey Stoner says MotoGP riders have become 'puppets' and the atmosphere in the sport would have to change substantially for him to consider going back.
In an interview with Australia's Sunday Telegraph newspaper to announce his move into V8 Supercars' Development Series for 2013, the double MotoGP world champion cited the long-term response to Marco Simoncelli's death as an example of his discomfort.
Stoner also acknowledged that animosity towards him in the paddock was a major factor in his shock decision to quit aged just 27.
"Injuries weren't any part of why or retired, or that I wanted to do new things," Stoner said. "Family wasn't a part of it either.
"I just fell out of love with the sport. We had a lack of respect from a lot of people around the sport and I didn't like the direction it was taking.
"We got spat at [by fans], they tried to knock us off scooters going from the motorhomes to the pits, everything like that.
"Unfortunately they didn't like my honesty in the paddock. That was part of it, but more it was the direction of the sport.
"We lost a rider a couple of years ago [Simoncelli] and within a month it was like it never happened.
"They want to see biff and barge and they don't realise our lives are on the line. We became puppets in that world and it had nothing to do with racing."
Although Stoner refused to completely rule out an eventual MotoGP comeback, he doubts the series will make the changes required to tempt him back.
"I had no intentions of going back to the sport," Stoner said.
"But if I see the sport changing dramatically, to the point that it is interesting, there is every chance. But the way I see it going, there is no chance."

Motorsports - Stoner set to make V8 Supercars debut

Former MotoGP champion Casey Stoner is to move into racing V8 Supercars in the Dunlop Series in Australia.
The Australian, who walked away from MotoGP last season, will make his V8 Supercars debut for the Red Bull-backed Triple Eight Racing team at the Clipsal 500 Adelaide next month.
Stoner surprised the world of motorbike racing last year when he announced half-way through the season that he would hang up his helmet, saying that the sport had, "changed to the point where I'm not enjoying it. I don't have the passion for it, so it's better if I retire now."

Smallville22

Motorcycling - Duo tip Rossi for success

Honda riders Marc Marquez and Dani Pedrosa believe Valentino Rossi will be competitive on his return to Yamaha for the 2013 MotoGP season.
Rossi is returning to the Japanese manufacturer after two unsuccessful seasons with Ducati, with which the Italian failed to win a race and scored just three podium finishes.
The Italian rider, 33, will be riding alongside reigning champion Jorge Lorenzo.
Although Rossi has not won a race since the 2010 Malaysian Grand Prix, Honda newcomer Marquez reckons the veteran will show his class again with Yamaha.
"Valentino is Valentino and you can never rule him out," Marquez said. "I think he will be up there on the podium and winning races.
"To win the championship... Jorge and Dani are there in great shape. They are both in the best moment of their careers, but I think Valentino will be making things difficult for them.
"He hasn't lost his talent and hasn't forgotten how to ride a bike."
Pedrosa also reckons Rossi is likely to be competitive, but he thinks only time will tell if the Italian can replicate the kind of form which carried him to his seven premier class titles.
"I guess a lot of fans are happy that he's back to Yamaha, hoping that he's fast again," Pedrosa said.
"As a for talent, there are no doubts, but we have to see if he rides flat out again or not. I believe so, but we have to wait and see if he is the same Valentino he once was.
"We have raced against him and we know about his talent, so we don't have a lot of doubts that he will be competitive again."

Motorcycling - Rossi targets wins and top-three championship spot

Valentino Rossi says finishing in the championship top three and securing a first MotoGP victory since 2010 will be his chief targets for the 2013 campaign.
The seven-time champion suffered the first two winless seasons of his career at Ducati, leading to him deciding to rejoin Yamaha in August last year.
While he admits it will be difficult to match team-mate and reigning champion Jorge Lorenzo and Honda's Dani Pedrosa, Rossi said failing to win at least once in 2013 would be a major disappointment.
"I'd like to have plenty of podium finishes, at least 10, and to finish in the top three in the championship," Rossi told Gazzetta dello Sport.
"If I didn't win but was on the podium every Sunday it might be OK. But a victory would be the watershed.
Asked if he would rue not winning, Rossi added: "Yes. The objective is to win, which I've not done since 2010."
Rossi warned that he would need time to settle before he can think of beating Lorenzo, but he does believe a podium in the season-opener at Qatar is possible given Yamaha's pace and the fact Honda's Marc Marquez will be contesting his first MotoGP race.
"Even if I'm not competitive with Lorenzo and Pedrosa, I need to try to be not far behind them. And it's still to be seen how Marquez will do.
"It will take time to beat Lorenzo: he'll be quicker at the start.
"His strong point is that he knows the Yamaha well and is better at riding it; I'll have to settle in bit by bit.
"The M1 is competitive though. When I tried the bike at the end of last season I found it to be good. Its acceleration has improved a lot."
Rossi, 33, added that despite reaching a 'certain age' he starts the season in the best physical and mental shape he has enjoyed for years.
"I'm more motivated than I would have been if I'd stayed at Yamaha [in 2011-12] - maybe I've become younger," he explained.
"[I feel] good, better than the last few years - above all 2010 when I had the operation on my shoulder which was no laughing matter. Now I am ready and in form.
"I know it will be difficult to come back after two disappointing years but I am very motivated. I'll do better with Yamaha."

Smallville22

Motorcycling - Smith not intimidated by MotoGP rivals

MotoGP rookie Bradley Smith says he will not be intimidated by the reputations of the riders he will be up against in 2013.
Smith graduates to MotoGP with Tech 3 Yamaha after two years in Moto2. He had previously finished runner-up in the 2010 125cc championship.
The 22-year-old Briton joins a grid that includes seven-time MotoGP champion Valentino Rossi and reigning title-holder Jorge Lorenzo, plus 2006 champion Nicky Hayden and 22-time MotoGP race-winner Dani Pedrosa.
"I'm not intimidated, but that doesn't take away any respect. These boys are amazing motorcycle riders and athletes," Smith told BBC Radio Oxford.
"You have to have the mentality that these guys are just another bike or just another rider.
"I've always been able to distinguish between someone I have admired in the past and people I have to race against now."
He is also confident he can get himself up to the standard of the frontrunners given time.
"These are the best riders in the world but I have a lot of belief in myself and the programme I have been given," said Smith.
"I have to work as hard as possible to get up to the level these guys are at."

Motorcycling - Cardion reveals its first CRT machine

Cardion AB has revealed the Aprilia ART with which it will contest the CRT class of this year's MotoGP championship.
The team had run a satellite Ducati since stepping into the premier class in 2011, but as AUTOSPORT reported back in September it elected to switch into CRTs for the forthcoming season.
Czech rider Karel Abraham, who suffered a frustrating, injury-laden 2012, will once again lead the single-bike effort.
Abraham, who first tested the bike in last year's post-season Valencia test, said he was confident CRTs could bridge the gap to prototypes this year.
"I believe there will be several opportunities during the season to race against the prototypes, since there are circuits where the differences between CRT bikes and prototypes are eliminated," he said.
"My goal is to always be one of the best CRT riders.
"I had a very good feeling about ART at Valencia during first testing, especially its cornering performance. We should have a better engine now and I cannot wait to ride the bike at Sepang."
Team manager Karel Abraham Sr. added: "The transition from prototype is not a step backwards but rather a side step.
"ART is one of the best CRT motorbikes, [and] I believe CRTs will be able to match with prototypes. Plus, they will be much more visible thanks to the new qualification system."
Cardion AB's unveiling comes just four days after Honda revealed its 2013 MotoGP contender at Repsol's Madrid headquarters.

Smallville22

BRONZE FINAL. SLOVENIA-CROATIA

Slovenia - Croatia (26-31)

Croatia come back and take bronze. After a semi-final in which the Croatian team had more issues than at any other point in the Championship, Slavko Goluza's men waited patiently for the right time of the Bronze Final versus Slovenia to impose their game and achieve third position, like in Serbia and London the year before. The game was tremendously even until the 40th minute, where Croatia were able to turn the tables and escape Slovenia's hold, winning them the medal.
As expected, the match got off to a flying start, with a series of successful fast breaks for both teams, however, it took them a short while to score. After the initial inaccuracys, the game changed completely. The goals began to flow for both teams, scoring past the opposition goalkeeper without breaking a sweat. The score between the Croatians and Slovenians remained equal, with maximum leads of only 1 goal. So, the game arrived to the 20th minute with neither team obtaining defensive solutions from their opposition. The performance of the wings of both teams joined breakthroughs from Kavitinik and Skube and goals from the Slovenian pivot, and the counterattacks and the shots from 9 metres from Croatia.
The break was fast approaching and the equality continued to be at a high, with neither team able break away for the win. One minute from the end, Slavko Goluza decided to change the script of the match introducing and effective mixed defence on Uros Zorman, that allowed the Croatians to end the first half leading by 2 goals (biggest lead in the first half). However the Slovenian defence blocked the path leaving their rivals with no shooting options achieving their objective, narrowing the lead to 13-14. Palau Sant Jordi was reliving a battle realizing the prize at stake, and reflected their fans excitement, giving them inspiration and vigour, with the same feelings as the players to take them to victory.
The second half begun like the first half ended, with an exchange of goals, but within five minutes Croatia began to take control, increasing the pressure defensively and scoring comfortably on the counter attack. Cupic and Nincevic were much more incisive than they were in the first half and increased the Croatians lead over their Slovenians counter parts. Boris Denic called for a time out in an attempt to reorganise his defensive cordon but it did not seem to have much of an effect. By the fortieth minute Croatia had a lead of six goals. The positive dynamic seemed to come to it peak when a counter attack which was finished by Ivan Cupic, was left on the ground after a foul by Marko Bezjak which was enough to earn him a red card.
Croatia had become the juggernaut which it had been through the whole tournament. Despite inflicting partials of eight goals, they continued to counter attack in order to ensure they won a medal. Slovenia were unable to respond their geographical neighbours might and defensive frailities were highlighted by their star rivals. The game continued like this until the final minutes of the game as Slavko Goluza's men earnt their third consecutive international bronze medal. Despite Slovenia making reducing the deficit on the score board in the final exchanges of the match, when the final whistle was blown it was clear that the scoreline was a fair refelction of the game, as Croatia's dominance over a young Slovenian side was clear.

THE FACT: Eight goals on the counter attack and seven goals from the nine metre line compensated for Mirko Ailovic lack of saves (25%).

THE BEST

MVP: Domagoj Duvnjak (Croatia)
Top Scorer: Domagoj Duvnjak and Ivan Cupic (Croatia, both 8 goals)

Smallville22

MIKKEL HANSEN: MVP OF THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

The IHF has remarked Mikkel Hansen, Danish left back, as Most Valuable Player of the XXIII edition of the Men's Handball World Championship. Hansen has played 5 hours, 30 minutes and 35 seconds shared out among seven matches. He has scored 22 goals from 49 shots (44% of accuracy), has made 20 assists, 8 steals and 2 blocked shots.

Smallville22

THE FINAL: SPAIN-DENMARK

Spain - Denmark (35-19)

Spain play the perfect game winning their second World Championship. The "Hispanos" earnt their garish nickname and proclaimed themselves champions of the World Championships from the moment they stepped on the pitch. Valero Rivera's work lead to a perfect performance, with Palau Sant Jordi devoted in their favour and the luck, success and stars of their side, the Hispanos left with everything they wanted. With a impeccable defensive display and until now an unknown attacking technique, Spain were unopposed.
From the off Valero Rivera gave Albert Rocas the title of right wing, Cañellas was acting in the centre of attack and Antonio García were the initial 7 with Albert Entrerríos. In defence Viran Morros entered for Julen Aguinadalde, selected on to play in attack. For Denmark, nothing notably different, Laugue, Mikkel Hansen and Sondergaard forming the back court, Toft Hansen in at pivot and the rapid Anders Eggert and Hans Lindberg on the wings.
The Hispanos, spurred on and reinforced by a spectacular atmosphere in the Palau Sant Jordi, completed a fantastic 3-0 partial in the opening minutes that shook the Danish coach to ask for a very early time-out. After the initial downpour, Denmark began to enter the match and with their refined tactics managed to bring themselves to within a goal of the hispanos midway through the first half.
From the the fifteenth minute on, the 'Spanish fury' returned to the court. The home side began to give a masterclass in both attack and defence, where the work of central pairing of Viran and Gedeon was key in drying up the danish goal's with some incredible blocks. With Denmark's attack nullified and Sterbik making endless saves in the goal mouth, the game turned in favour of Valero Rivera's men. The spanish inflicted a spectacular partial of 7-0 (16-9, min. 27) ensuring a surprise result by the end of the first half, all finished by a goal from Julen Aguinagalde with which Spain achieved a maximum advantage of eight goals (18-10).
In a second half where a reaction from the Danes was expected, there was none. Spain returned to the court confident of being able to inflict more damage on a side which did not seem to have turned up. The Spaniards did not drop their guard for one moment and kept growing in confidence as their solid defensive set up and ruthlessness on the counter attack lead to a partial of 6-0. The Spanish side unbelievably held an advantage of over eighteen goals at the mid way point in the second half and the match descended into a party. Goalkeeper Sterbik earns huge praise after an incredible performance and with a farewell to the captain of the national side " Rock and Roll" Alberto Entrerrios, who returned to the side to help them with a world championship on home soil and earn a place in the All Starhan team of the tournament.

THE FACT: A partial of 7-0 at the end of the first half tilted the match in Spain's favour, bringing them to the break with the score at 18-10.

THE HISTORICAL FACT: After this win, Spain has become the team to win by the biggest margin in a World Championship final (+16). Until now, this honour belonged to Sweden, who won the 1958 final against Czechoslovakia by 10 goals (22-12).

THE BEST

Top Scorer: Joan Cañellas (Spain, 7 goals)

Smallville22

GOLD MEDAL FOR SERVICES TO SPANISH SPORT FOR THE HISPANOS

The Minister of Culture and Sports of Spain, Jose Ignacio Wert, has confirmed to Valero Rivera, Spanish head coach, the award of the Gold Medal for Services to Sport to all the members of the Spanish national team, as the CSD assured to EFE.
Great news for a team that, within less than eight years, have claimed two World Championships of the IHF: Tunisia 2005 and Spain 2013.

Rajoy, with the Hispanos from the distance

Moreover, during his travel to Spain from Chile, the President of the Spanish Government, Mariano Rajoy, has called by phone the President of the Spanish Handball Federation, Juan de Dios Roman, to know all the details of this success of the Spanish national team in the World Championship.

ALBERTO ENTRERRÍOS SAYS GOODBYE IN THE BEST WAY

Alberto Entrerríos Rodríguez says goodbye to international handball with 36 years. After 336 matches and 719 goals scored with the Spanish national team, the Asturian player says goodbye in the best way: winning his second World Championship.

The Captain of the Hispanos

After his absence in the London 2012 Olympic Games, it seems like if the elder Entrerrios' brother had said goodbye as an international player. However, after London, Valero Rivera called him again. "Sometimes in the Olympic Games' matches I missed what he can do and I think that he must return to the national team", assured the Spanish head coach. At his return, the Nantes' left back became one of the leaders of the Hispanos, and with the injury of Jose Javier Hombrados, he had to change his role in the group to be the new captain of the team.

All Star team

Entrerríos has performed a great World Championship, playing 8 games, scoring 26 goals from 50 shots (52%), giving 27 assists, stealing 6 balls and blocking 3 shots. In the quarter-finals versus Germany, the left back was one of the most outstanding Spaniards, being awarded with the MVP of the game. Moreover, Alberto Entrerrios has been elected as the best left back of the tournament, being a part of the All Star team of the World Championship.

Smallville22

STATS AND RANKINGS: THE FIGURES OF THE WCH

The World Championship's rankings

Top Scorer: Anders Eggert (Denmark), 55 goals

Assists: Aron Pálmarsson (Iceland), 35 assists

Goals + Assists: Domagoj Duvnjak (Croatia), 68 (41 goals + 27 assists)

Steals: Timur Dibirov (Russia), 20 steals.

Blocked shots: Matej Gaber (Slovenia) y Drago Vukovic (Croatia), 13 blocked shots

Penalties: Alexey Rastvortsev (Russia) y Hamad Alhajri (Qatar), +25

Saves: Marcin Wichary (Poland), 34/73 (46%)

7 meter saves: Jannick Green (Dinamarca), 5/10 (50)%

A final for the history

The final between Spain and Denmark beat the record achieved by Sweden in 1958 of the longest goal lead by the winner. The +16 of Spain (35-19) over Ulrik Wilbek's side overcame the +10 of Sweden versus Czechoslovakia (22-12).

Spain, moreover, is an expert on beating records in the finals that they win. On 2005, they recorded the highest scoring figure by a national team in a World Championship's final, with 40 goals (40-34).

This is the seventh time, out of the 23 editions of the World Championship, in which the home team win the gold medal.

Smallville22

ERC - Glamour model hopes for ERC involvement

Ukrainian glamour model Inessa Tushkanova is planning to take part in the 2013 FIA European Rally Championship when it resumes in Latvia next month.
The 25-year-old has tackled selected rallies since 2008 and made her ERC debut in Poland last season.
Tushkanova now wants to build her experience of the ERC by contesting Rally Liepaja-Ventspils from February 1-3 in an ERC Production Car Cup-specification Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX.
“I don’t know yet if I will do the rally or not because, for now, I haven’t been able to find the budget,” said Tushkanova.
“We have tried many companies and I hope they wake up soon because there is not much time.
“I don't have any hopes and dreams about big prizes in Latvia, but I find it very important to participate in the rally for my career since the level of ERC is very high and my plans for rally do not stop after one year.”
Tushkanova also plans to compete on the ERC round in Poland in September.

Smallville22

Six Nations - Maitland to make Scotland debut

New Zealand-born winger Sean Maitland will make his debut and hooker Dougie Hall his first start for six years as Scotland seek to end their 30-year Twickenham drought when they play England in their opening Six Nations game on Saturday.
On Tuesday, interim coach Scott Johnson named a team with six changes and one positional switch from that beaten by Tonga in November - a defeat that led to Andy Robinson's resignation.
The most eye-catching selection is that of 24-year-old Maitland, who won the under-20 World Cup as an All Black and played for New Zealand Maori but has switched allegiance to the country of his grandparents since joining Glasgow from the Crusaders last October.
"Sean Maitland is very proud to be pulling on the Scotland jersey for the first time," Johnson said in a statement.
"His family will be rapt because they raised him in New Zealand always reminding him of his Scottish heritage, getting up in the early hours of the morning to watch both the Five and Six Nations games on the TV.
"He's shown he can play footy with the best of them and the impact he's made since arriving at Glasgow in the autumn has underlined what we'd seen of him playing for the Crusaders in Super Rugby."
In Johnson's other changes, Sean Lamont moves from wing to centre, Ruaridh Jackson returns at flyhalf with Greig Laidlaw starting an international for the first time at scrum-half. His uncle, Roy Laidlaw, played scrum-half and scored a superb try last time the Scots won at Twickenham in 1983.
Loosehead prop Ryan Grant returns after a long injury layoff and will pack down with Hall, in his first start since facing Ireland in 2007, and Euan Murray, winning his 50th cap.
Jim Hamilton is recalled to partner Richie Gray in the second row and number eight Johnnie Beattie plays for the first time since August 2011, having been somewhat controversially left out of the squad for that year's World Cup and ignored ever since.
"I've been impressed by what I've seen of Johnnie Beattie. He brings dynamism to our back row and we're looking for him to bring that to bear on Saturday," said Johnson.
The Scots will need dynamism and more if they are to end their dire Twickenham run and start to improve a record comprising only two wins in their last 15 Six Nations matches.
England coach Stuart Lancaster, whose first game in charge a year ago was a win over the Scots at Murrayfield, names his team on Thursday.

Team: 15-Stuart Hogg, 14-Sean Maitland, 13-Sean Lamont, 12-Matt Scott, 11-Tim Visser, 10-Ruaridh Jackson, 9-Greig Laidlaw, 8-Johnnie Beattie, 7-Kelly Brown, 6-Alasdair Strokosch, 5-Jim Hamilton, 4-Richie Gray, 3-Euan Murray, 2-Dougie Hall, 1-Ryan Grant

Replacements: 16-Ross Ford, 17-Moray Low, 18-Geoff Cross, 19-Alastair Kellock, 20-David Denton, 21-Henry Pyrgos, 22-Duncan Weir, 23-Max Evans

Smallville22

BSB - MSS Performance drop out of 2013 season

MSS Performance will not take part in the 2013 British Superbike Championship after failing to find a prominent backer for the season.
MSS Performance manager Nick Morgan was forced to make the decision for financial reasons.
Morgan said: “The decision not to return to the grid for the 2013 season has been one of the hardest I've ever had to make. We've been prominent in the British Superbike paddock for 20 years. “We didn't want to turn up with just a half-hearted effort as the depth of talent is incredibly high and without the backing of a major title sponsor, we wouldn't have been able to run at the competitive level we know we're capable of."
MSS Performance, whose only podium finish in 2012 came in the opening race via Michael Rutter, joins Team WFR in withdrawing from British Superbikes this year.

Smallville22

Rallying-Part-timer Loeb wins truncated Monte Carlo race

Frenchman Sebastien Loeb won the Monte Carlo Rally on Saturday after the final part was cancelled because too many spectators turned up for the last two stages.
"The organisers ... have stopped the event early, after huge numbers of spectators forced the cancellation of the final two stages on safety grounds," World Rallying Championship said on its website (www.wrc.com).
"The results after SS16 become the final classification, meaning Citroen DS3 driver Sebastien Loeb has claimed his 77th victory in the FIA World Rally Championship and his seventh on the Rally Monte-Carlo."
Although Frenchman Loeb is not challenging for an astonishing 10th title in a row, he has made clear that he still wants to win the four rounds of the 13-event championship that he is contesting.
His compatriot Sebastien Ogier was second on his debut for Volkswagen, with Spain's Dani Sordo taking third place driving a Citroen.

WRC - Loeb firm on retirement despite Monte Carlo win

Monte Carlo Rally winner Sebastien Loeb says he has no regrets over his decision to retire from the World Rally Championship despite starting his part-time season with a victory.
He also dismissed any suggestion that he could return for Monte Carlo again next season.
Loeb dominated the Valence-based event to win from Sebastien Ogier by more than a minute, collecting his seventh success on the WRC's opening round of the season.
Throughout last week's rally, Loeb was questioned about whether this year really would be his last Monte, one of his favourite rallies on the calendar.
"It's a choice I made, to do something else [and move away from the WRC] and I didn't make this choice to miss what I am doing now," he insisted.
"I have been in the rally for 10 years and this will be a change when I do something else. Maybe I will come back and watch next year and it's only then that I'll know if I miss this rally."
Without a championship to aim for this season, there were also questions raised about Loeb's motivation coming into the event. Ahead of the rally, he had admitted he was not sure how motivated he would be on round one.
"It made no difference," he said. "The motivation was just the same once we got into the stages and started driving. And these are such fantastic stages with the snow, I had a lot of fun."
Loeb's co-driver Daniel Elena - who has previously competed on his home rally as a driver – joked that he would be back even if his partner was not.
"I'll be on the startline next year as a driver," smiled Elena. "It was a nice emotion this time."
Loeb and Elena will stay in the WRC for the second round in Sweden before taking a break and returning in Argentina. They will say farewell to the championship on their home round in France.

Smallville22

WTCC heading back to Marrakech

The World Touring Car Championship will once again visit the Moroccan city of Marrakech in 2013.
The race - which will be the fourth to be held in the city - will take place on April 7.
Mohammed Ouzzine, Minister for Youth and Sports, said that the country is delighted to welcome the series back: "The WTCC event has a strong impact on the city. It has been estimated that the direct economic impact in 2012 was of 220 million Dirham (around 18 million euro).
"And on top of this, the interest of the media is aroused by the improving performance of Mehdi Bennani who last year became the first Moroccan driver to claim a podium result in an FIA world championship.”
Lahcen Haddad, Minister of Tourism added: “The WTCC and its worldwide TV coverage grant an extraordinary promotion to the city of Marrakech. The stream of tourism that follows this event is very important. A lot of people come for the race and then stay a few days longer."
WTCC promoter Marcello Lotti said: "Marrakech is one of the most popular venues for all the people who work in and around WTCC. The atmosphere we find here is unique and we can feel that the local people welcome us heartily."

Smallville22

WTCC - Eurosport launches WTCC Asia Trophy

Eurosport Events has launched a dedicated trophy to reflect the increasing participation of Asian drivers in the WTCC.
The first Eurosport Asia Trophy will be awarded at the end of the 2013 season to the best Asian driver on the basis of the results achieved in Suzuka, Shanghai and Macau.
WTCC General Manager Marcello Lotti said: “In recent years we have noticed more and more interest in WTCC from the Asian drivers. Especially because most of the former WTCC cars continue racing in the national championships in Macau, Hong Kong, China and other countries in the Far East.
"To encourage them and in appreciation of their efforts, we have decided to award a special trophy that will be handed during the end of the season prize giving at Macau. And on top of this we are currently negotiating with potential sponsors to allocate a prize money.
"The Trophy will be reserved for race-by-race entrants, and will see points awarded to the eight best drivers classified in each of the six races, according to the following scale: 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. One additional point will be awarded for each point scored in the WTCC Drivers’ Championship.
Eurosport Asia Pacific will air a Congratulations campaign dedicated to the winning driver, who will also benefit from exposure on the WTCC website and social media.
Last year, 13 Asian drivers had entered in at least one of the three WTCC events in the Far East.