• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Other Sports

Smallville22

I can set my own custom title!
Athletics - Smith true winner of 'dirtiest race' in history

If anti-doping regulations had been strictly enforced, Calvin Smith, a gifted American sprinter with a distinctive upright style, would have left the 1988 Seoul Games as the Olympic 100 metres champion and world-record holder.
On the day that changed the face of the Olympics and his sport forever, Smith finished fourth behind Ben Johnson, Carl Lewis and Linford Christie. Today he is the only man among the first five finishers in Seoul untouched by a drugs scandal.
"I should have been the gold medallist," Smith has said of a race that has been variously described as the dirtiest and most corrupt in history.
"Throughout the last five or 10 years of my career, I knew I was being denied the chance to show that I was the best clean runner," he told journalists. "I knew I was competing against athletes who were on drugs."
Canadian Johnson was infamously hustled out of Seoul after testing positive for the steroid stanozolol following his victory in a world-record 9.79 seconds.
Lewis, who clocked 9.92 seconds, was promoted to the gold medal ahead of Britain's Christie who then took the silver in front of Smith. Lewis's time was eventually recognised as the official world record when Johnson's mark of 9.83 seconds, set at the 1987 Rome world championships, was also erased.
Johnson's time in Rome was an astonishing tenth of a second faster than Smith's then world record of 9.93 seconds set at altitude in 1983. Smith won consecutive world 200 metres titles but never a global 100 gold.
In the popular mythology of the time Lewis, a glorious sprinter and long jumper who won four gold medals at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, was the clean-cut hero and Johnson a scowling villain.
It was an image Lewis was keen to foster.
"In the old Westerns they had the guy in the white hat and the black hat," Lewis said years later. "I felt like the clean guy going out and trying to win, I was the guy in the white hat, trying to beat this evil guy."
Not everybody warmed to Lewis and his incessant self-promotion coupled with a holier-than-thou attitude to drugs offenders. The sceptics felt vindicated when it was revealed in 2003 that Lewis had failed three drugs tests for stimulants during the 1988 Olympic trials.
Under the rules of the time he should have been banned from the Games but the results were covered up by the US Olympic Committee after it accepted his plea that he had innocently taken a herbal supplement.
Christie failed a test for the stimulant pseudoephedrine after the final but was cleared on a split decision by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) medical commission when he argued that he had taken it inadvertently in ginseng tea.
If Lewis had been banned from the Games and Christie disqualified, Smith would have been next in line for the gold medal and his world record would have stood once Johnson's times were scrubbed from the books.
The noise and furore at Seoul airport when Lewis and Johnson arrived for the Olympics resembled the frenzy associated with a world heavyweight prize fight featuring Muhammad Ali.
At the opening media conferences, Lewis was as articulate as always. Johnson, whose natural shyness was exacerbated by a stutter and an accent showing traces of both his native Jamaica and his adopted homeland, said little.
Johnson's coach, the intense and ambitious Charlie Francis, was both fluent and relaxed while continuing to conceal an explosive back story which shocked the world when he revealed all to a Canadian government inquiry in the following year.
During the 1976 Montreal Games, Francis realised drugs were a vital ingredient in the East German success story and, after the fall of the Berlin Wall, formerly secret documents showed he was right.
Francis also knew that drugs, which allowed athletes to train harder and longer, were only one element in a sophisticated programme but at the elite level, as he explained to Johnson, a one percent difference in performance meant a one-metre advantage in the 100 metres.
"Steroids could not replace talent, or training, or a well-planned competitive programme," Francis said. "They could not transform a plodder into a champion. But they had become an essential ingredient within a complex recipe."
In Seoul there were those who thought a bigger cheat than Johnson had gone unscathed.
Florence Griffith-Joyner, who died 10 years after the Games at the age of 38, had been a glamorous and successful sprinter in the years leading up to Seoul but had always finished among the minor medals.
In 1988, her physique noticeably altered and her voice deepened dramatically, both signs of possible steroid abuse. "She sounds like Louis Armstrong," exclaimed one journalist at her news conference in Seoul.
Of more enduring significance were the times she set in that unreal year. No woman, even 2000 Sydney Olympics triple champion Marion Jones who eventually confessed to years of systematic doping, has even come close to Griffith-Joyner's times of 10.49 and 21.34 seconds for the 100 and 200 metres respectively.
Griffith-Joyner announced her retirement in 1989, the year mandatory random drugs test were introduced. Eleven women's world records in Olympic events remain unchanged since the 1980s.
Since Seoul, athletics, in general, and the sprints, in particular, have been battered by drugs scandals and the central sport of the Olympic Games has suffered increasingly in credibility as a result.
At the 2004 Athens Games, Justin Gatlin won the 100-200 double for the United States after serving a one-year ban following a positive test for amphetamines. The sentence had been halved when the world governing body accepted he had taken a prescribed medicine for attention deficit disorder.
Two years later he again tested positive, this time for excessive levels of the male sex hormone testosterone, and was banned for eight years, later reduced to four.
Gatlin worked with Trevor Graham, the coach who initiated a drugs scandal equivalent to the Johnson furore when he sent a syringe containing an undetectable steroid called THG to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.
A test was quickly devised for the drug manufactured by the BALCO laboratory in California and a number of prominent athletes in track and field and baseball were implicated, including Britain's European 100 metres champion Dwain Chambers.
Jones, who won three gold medals in Sydney after announcing she wanted to go one better than Lewis and Jesse Owens by winning five titles, was the biggest victim of the BALCO scandal.
After years of denial she finally confessed she had been on a drugs regime similar to Johnson and was imprisoned for lying to federal investigators. Other sprinters banned as a result of the BALCO investigations were her former partner Tim Montgomery, who was the first man to run faster than Johnson's Seoul mark, and double world women's sprint champion Kelli White.
To its credit, the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) has consistently uncovered drugs cheats over the 25 years since Seoul. It has also pointed out that other prominent Olympic sports, notably weightlifting and cycling, have been bedevilled by doping.
However, the positive tests keep coming and this year has been a bad one for the world of track and field.
Former 100 metres world-record holder Asafa Powell of Jamaica and former world champion Tyson Gay from the United States both missed last month's Moscow world championships after positive drugs tests which were revealed on the same day.
Jamaica, the Caribbean island which currently dominates world sprinting, was struck by another doping scandal when twice Olympic 200 metres gold medallist Veronica Campbell-Brown was suspended by her national federation after a positive test for a banned diuretic.
Officials said a dozen athletes had been sanctioned after positive drugs tests in the past five years.
Kenya, a country long regarded as a storehouse of natural long-distance talent, has also been implicated in doping with four positives in the space of 12 months. There has also been a rash of positive tests in Russia and Turkey.
Johnson, who is now an anti-doping campaigner after a lifetime of bad career choices, accepts his decision to take drugs ruined his life.
He said recently that athletes "are still testing positive week after week, still making the same mistakes I made. Athletes' perceptions need to change. The system needs to change."

Smallville22

Sailing - Ainslie guides Oracle to brink of miraculous America's Cup comeback

Oracle Team USA came from behind in race 19 of the America's Cup to defeat Emirates Team New Zealand and tie the series, which now heads into a final race scheduled for Wednesday that will decide the trophy winner.
And the man credited with the astonishing turnaround is British Olympic legend Ben Ainslie, who was drafted in to be the US team's new tactician when they were trailing 4-1 and seemingly already doomed to defeat.
The stunning recovery for the team backed by Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison continued on every front in perfect sailing conditions Tuesday. The US boat came from behind to win the second race easily and has now has seven straight victories, another Cup milestone.
New Zealand dominated that start for the first time in recent races, but then committed several tactical errors and Oracle stormed to a lead of nearly a minute at the finish.
In the first race the reeling Kiwi team drew a double-penalty as the two boats crossed the starting line, which allowed Oracle to jump to an insurmountable lead.
New Zealand once led the competition 8-1, and numerous Kiwi fans in San Francisco and back home in New Zealand were ready to celebrate victory in a gruelling two-year-long Cup campaign. The New Zealand government contributed about $30 million to the effort to bring the Cup back to the sailing-crazed nation.
But boat improvements, superior tactics and sharper sailing by Oracle have turned its fortunes around, evidenced in the second race Tuesday when the team appeared to show more speed on every leg of the race.
“I didn’t consider I would be racing in this event so it is a real bonus and privilege,” said Ainslie, who set up his own team earlier this year in order to challenge for the next America's Cup.
But it seems that the four-times Olympic champion may get his hands on the trophy quicker than he ever imagined.
“I’m really excited about being out there, getting closer and closer to winning this event. I’m loving it.”
It's not just the tactics of Ainslie and his fellow sailors that has led to the turnaround: improvements to the yacht have also been important, according to Oracle skipper Jimmy Spithill.
"We've been doing a lot of work at night with design engineering technicians," Spithill said after the first race. "The boat is just going faster and faster and the boys are really starting to believe."
New Zealand skipper Dean Barker acknowledged in comments after the races that Oracle was now faster on the upwind legs in heavier winds. New Zealand pioneered the so-called "foiling" in which the big boats lift almost completely out of the water and sail on small horizontal wings attached to their daggerboards and rudders, but Oracle is now doing it more effectively on the critical upwind leg.
"It's the first time we've seen conditions where we were not as good as we needed to be," said Barker.
Spithill had put on a brave face through the early losses, insisting that the event was "far from over" even when his team needed an implausible nine straight wins to keep the oldest trophy in sports. His bravado, backed by consistently shrewd manoeuvres at the start, has now been vindicated.
"There's a huge wave of momentum we've been riding and it just builds and builds and builds," Spithill said after Tuesday's victories.
Barker sailed nearly flawlessly for much the summer as the Kiwis trounced Italian and Swedish challengers for the right to race Oracle. His dominance continued in the early races of the final as the Kiwis showed better speed upwind and much smoother tacking.
But the team has appeared to come apart in the face of the Oracle comeback and a run of bad luck that saw two races in which it was leading called off due to wind conditions.
The start of Tuesday's first race featured classic match-racing drama. New Zealand miscalculated and bumped Oracle, which had the right of way, as it maneuvered to block its rival on the approach to the line.
The two 72-foot catamarans made contact again as they drifted across the line. A second foul was called on the Kiwis, which had stopped dead in the water as Oracle sped off to a large lead around the first mark.
New Zealand used textbook starting tactics in race two to get a solid lead around the first mark. But Oracle gained ground going downwind, and, after New Zealand mistimed a tack as the boats converged on the upwind leg, foiled past the Kiwis to open a big lead.
The regatta was supposed to be over on Saturday, but racing has been postponed several times for too much wind, not enough wind and wind from the wrong direction, dragging the event out into a third week. Rule changes lowered the wind limits after the Swedish team suffered a fatal training accident in May.
A two-race penalty against Oracle for illegal boat modifications in a preliminary regatta has also lengthened the competition. Oracle has actually won 10 races on the water, but only 8 of them count.
New Zealand yachting fans are now left to wonder whether Barker and his team can take a page from Oracle's book and find a way to win with their backs to the wall.
"I'm struggling to keep positive. My faith in the team and Dean is being sorely tested. We're only one (win) away, but my nerves are a bit like our chances, in tatters," said Wellington office worker Will Christie.
Ellison skipped a keynote address at Oracle's massive annual customer conference on Tuesday to be on San Francisco Bay as his team fought its way to the match point tie with the Kiwis.

Smallville22

Snooker - Lee banned for 12 years

Stephen Lee has been banned for an unprecedented 12 years and ordered to pay £40,000 costs after being found guilty of match-fixing charges.
The World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association (WPBSA) said in a statement that Lee, 38, was barred from playing until Oct 12, 2024, which will be his 50th birthday.
The ban has been timed from the start of his initial suspension last year.
He had denied the allegations, which relate to seven matches played in 2008 and 2009 including the UK and world championships, and indicated he would appeal.
The WPBSA had described it as "the worst case of snooker corruption we've seen".
Lee was found guilty at an independent tribunal hearing held from Sept 9-11 of "agreeing an arrangement... (and of)... accepting or receiving or offering to receive... payment" for influencing the outcome or conduct of matches.
WPBSA chairman Jason Ferguson said the ban "demonstrates our commitment to ensuring that snooker is free from corruption.
"It is an important part of our anti-corruption approach that players found to be involved in fixing matches or any aspect of a match are severely dealt with.
"The message we are sending is that if you get involved in match fixing you will be found out and removed from the sport."
Lee was accused of giving inside information to associates, who then bet on the basis of it and passed it to others to do the same.
Lawyer Adam Lewis, in his written decision for independent arbitration body Sport Resolutions, said it had not been established Lee deliberately lost a match when he could and should have won.
"Rather it is established, on the balance of probabilities, that Mr Lee acted improperly in relation to matches that he either believed he would lose, or that he believed he would win sufficiently comfortably that he could drop the first frame," the barrister wrote.
"Mr Lee did not strike me as a cynical cheat, but rather as a weak man who, under financial pressure, succumbed to the temptation to take improper steps that he may well have justified to himself as not really wrong, because the ultimate result of the match, win or lose, was the same."
Lewis said a life ban had not been imposed because it was not deemed proportionate, in the circumstances, or necessary in order to deter.
He pointed out also that at the time the offences were committed, there was no stipulation in WPBSA disciplinary rules that any player found guilty of match-fixing should incur a life ban in the absence of exceptional mitigating circumstances.
However, Lee remains insistent that he is innocent, telling the BBC: "I'm absolutely devastated. I've done nothing wrong."
"I'm totally innocent of this and I will be making a public statement later on. I've just seen my lawyer."
Former professional Willie Thorne said Lee's 12-year suspension amounted to the end of the player's career.
"I think it is a life ban," he told Sky Sports News. "He'll be 50 when he gets his licence back and at that age you've got no chance... I don't think he'll be accepted into the seniors tour either.
"There's a great living to be had in snooker, but not a great living if you're a cheat."

Smallville22

Athletics - Bolt commits to Puma until after 2016 Olympics

Olympic sprint champion Usain Bolt has renewed his long-standing sponsorship deal with Puma until after the 2016 Games in Rio, the German sportswear company said on Tuesday.
Bolt has been with Puma for a decade and the renewal of the contract with the sport's most marketable figure is a fillip for a brand struggling to keep pace with larger rivals Adidas and Nike.
The agreement is likely to take Bolt, 27, through to the end of his career. Bolt, who has won six gold medals at the last two Olympics, has said he could retire after Rio or following the world championships in London in 2017.
"I have always been very happy to be a part of the Puma family, I am proud to represent them and delighted to continue with them for the years ahead," the Jamaican sprinter said in a statement.
New Puma CEO Bjorn Gulden, who took the job in July, had made the renewal one of his initial priorities after the company cut spending on other sponsorship deals.
Gulden called Bolt a perfect ambassador for Puma.
"He will play a crucial role in our future product concepts as well as brand communications leading towards the Olympic Games in Rio 2016 and beyond," Gulden said.
Financial details of the agreement were not disclosed.
Bolt was ranked 40th on the Forbes list of the world's best paid athletes, the highest ranking track and field competitor. He had estimated annual earnings of $24.2 million (£15.2 million), the bulk of which came from endorsements.

Smallville22

Athletics - Sprint doping scandals since Johnson's downfall

Twenty-five years ago this week, in the biggest scandal to hit the Olympics, Ben Johnson was stripped of his 100 metres gold medal at the 1988 Seoul Games after testing positive for banned steroids.
Johnson served a two-year suspension and returned to competition, reaching the semi-finals at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, but the Canadian was banned for life in 1993 after testing positive for excessive levels of testosterone.

Following is a factbox on other doping cases in sprinting, since Johnson's downfall:

Katerina Thanou/Kostas Kenteris (Greece). Thanou (100 metres silver medallist in Sydney) and her Greek team mate Kenteris (Sydney 200 metres champion) were accused of faking a motorcycle crash just before the 2004 Athens Olympics to skip a dope test. They were later given two-year bans.

Katrin Krabbe (Germany). Double sprint champion at the 1991 world championships in Tokyo who never competed at an Olympics after a ban for the anabolic agent clenbuterol.

Linford Christie (Britain). At 32, the oldest man to win the Olympic 100 metres title with victory in Barcelona in 1992. Seven years later, in semi-retirement, tested positive for the steroid nandrolone.

Dennis Mitchell (US). The American, who won gold as part of the U.S. 4x100 metres relay team at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, was banned for two years in 1998 for excessive levels of the male sex hormone testosterone.

Merlene Ottey (Slovenia). Jamaican-born sprinter who won world 200 titles but was banned from the 1999 Seville world athletics championships after a positive test for nandrolone. Later cleared by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF).

Dwain Chambers (Britain). Finished fourth in the 100 final at the 2000 Sydney Olympics but was banned for two years in 2003 after testing positive for the designer steroid THG in the BALCO laboratory scandal.

Tim Montgomery (US). Also implicated in the doping scandal that engulfed the San Francisco BALCO laboratory. The American set a 100 metres world record of 9.78 in 2002 but later admitted to doping at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

Marion Jones (US). Montgomery's partner and the biggest victim of the BALCO scandal, Jones became the first woman to win five track and field medals at a single Olympics at Sydney 2000 After years of denial, she confessed to being a drugs cheat and was jailed for lying to federal investigators.

Kelli White (US). Another BALCO victim who admitted to using a cocktail of drugs after winning the 100-200 double at the 2003 Paris world championships.

Justin Gatlin (US). The American, who won gold in the 100 at the 2004 Athens Olympics, has served two doping bans, including four years for excessive levels of testosterone. He won 100 metres bronze at the 2012 London Olympics and two silvers at this year's world championships.

Veronica Campbell-Brown (Jamaica). Twice Olympic 200 metres champion who is suspended after testing positive for a banned diuretic at a meeting in May this year.

Sherone Simpson (Jamaica). Gold medallist at the 2004 Olympics in Athens and a silver medallist last year in London as part of Jamaica's 4x100 metres relay teams, Simpson tested positive for the banned stimulant oxilophrine at June's Jamaican athletics championships.

Asafa Powell (Jamaica). Held the 100 world record between 2005 and 2008. Tested positive for oxilophrine at the national championships in June.

Tyson Gay (US). Completed a memorable sweep of sprint titles at the 2007 world championships in Osaka when he won the 100 and 200 metres and was part of the triumphant U.S. 4x100 metres relay team. Tested positive for a unidentified substance in an out-of-competition test in May this year.

Kelly-Ann Baptiste (Trinidad & Tobago). A member of Gay's training group and 2011 world 100 metres bronze medallist, she withdrew from August's Moscow world championships on the opening day of competition for a doping violation.

Smallville22

Athletics - Johnson scandal stunted sport's commercial growth

Marketing experts fondly recall Seoul 1988 as the Games when the Olympic movement put behind it political boycotts and started to develop its true commercial potential.
However, the sensational Ben Johnson drugs bust in Seoul and subsequent failure to stamp out doping has meant that athletics - the centrepiece of the Games - has been left behind by other sports in the wider battle for sponsor dollars.
"It tends to be a struggle to get big brands to support athletics," said sports marketing expert Patrick Nally, contrasting the situation with the 1980s when the sport launched its world championships and enjoyed a higher profile.
"If Usain Bolt didn't exist and wasn't there signing his books and being the superstar, they wouldn't have anything," he added, referring to the charismatic Jamaican sprint champion.
Nally, one of the pioneers of modern sports marketing, argues that athletics in the late 1980s was torn between the need to promote itself by setting world records and a desire to tackle the doping culture that tarnished these achievements.
Those conflicting pressures culminated in the downfall of Johnson, the Canadian sprinter who tested positive for a banned steroid after beating American Carl Lewis in a world-record 9.79 seconds over 100 metres at the 1988 Games.
Johnson, now 51, returned to Seoul this week to speak out against drugs in sport.
Sports marketing was in its infancy 25 years ago. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) had just set up a new programme granting top corporate sponsors exclusive rights to sell products around the world on the back of the Games.
The swift justice meted out to Johnson, stripped of his medal and sent packing from Seoul, helped to protect the Olympic brand, said former IOC marketing chief Michael Payne.
"Samaranch said that on the one hand it was a dark day but on the other hand it was an opportunity for the IOC to show how it was fighting the drugs issue," he said, referring to then IOC President Juan Antonio Samaranch.
"The media saw the IOC was taking the drugs issue seriously, there was no collateral damage to the sponsor."

SPONSORSHIP DEALS

The Olympic movement came away from Seoul in good shape after boycotts of the two previous Games had threatened its very existence, according to Payne.
"Ben Johnson notwithstanding, they were successful Games, the Olympics were back. They had solved the political problem."
The Olympics have since gone from strength to strength, regaining their undisputed status as the world's top sports event. Sponsorship has also taken off, with 10 leading companies such as Coca-Cola and McDonald's paying around $1 billion for four-year global partnership deals.
The drugs issue in sport has not gone away, with cyclist Lance Armstrong cast in the role of modern-day villain after being stripped of his seven Tour de France titles for doping.
Sponsors have remained unsophisticated in their response to doping crises, according to Simon Chadwick, professor of sports business at Coventry University in central England.
"When a doping scandal breaks, rather than take the moral high ground, they wait to see what happens," said Chadwick, saying sponsors often acted only when they felt pressure from public opinion.
Chadwick praised the pro-active approach adopted by sportswear group Skins, a cycling sponsor which has been campaigning for the sport to rid itself of doping and clean up its governance.
Skins has adopted an unlikely new ambassador in its latest anti-doping drive - Johnson himself.
"Ben personified the modern era of doping but after 25 years he's now in the best position to publicise this campaign," said Skins chairman Jaimie Fuller, stressing that Johnson was not getting paid for his role.

Smallville22

Athletics - Disgraced Johnson no longer running from doping past

For 10 awe-inspiring seconds on September 24, 1988, Canadians held their breath then exhaled and exploded in the type of wild chest-thumping celebrations usually reserved for the hockey-mad nation's greatest victories on the ice.
That evening Canadians from Newfoundland to Victoria had stopped to watch as Ben Johnson rocketed across the finish line, right hand thrust triumphantly into the Seoul sky, to claim the crown of world's fastest man as he blazed to an Olympic 100 metres gold medal in a stunning 9.79 seconds.
Photographs of the magical moment bear witness to the pure joy attached to an athletic achievement that had pushed the boundaries of human limitations to new frontiers.
A quarter of a century later, however, the grim image that lingers is not one of amazement but of crushing, drug-fuelled betrayal.
Johnson is now a fallen hero at the centre of a cautionary tale about the evils of doping rather than the protagonist of an uplifting story of a shy immigrant with a nervous stutter who shot to glory, fame and fortune.
The morning after the race, Canadians continued to bask in the brilliance of Johnson's Olympic medal with the country's newspapers proclaiming the moment 'Pure Gold'.
'Big Ben' was athletic royalty, the world sprint king and a great Canadian, held up as a symbol of Canada's sporting ambition.
Three days later, in a fall from grace as breathtaking as his rise to superstardom, the pride of Canada had become 'Jamaican-born' Ben Johnson, another country's shame, stripped of his Olympic medal after testing positive for the steroid stanozolol.
On Tuesday, Johnson, now a 51-year-old grandfather, returned to South Korea and the scene of his crime as an act of repentance, the newest recruit in the war on performance-enhancing drugs.
Asked recently how he would react if he discovered his grandchildren engaged in doping, Johnson took a diplomatic approach in keeping with his new role as an anti-doping advocate.
"I don't think they would be involved in it, if I live to see that day," Johnson told Reuters in a telephone interview from Japan, a stop on his anti-doping world tour. "I think they will go to school and get an education and this campaign I'm trying to do is so kids do not need doping.
"We are trying to do the right thing in life and trying to make sure the young generation doesn't get involved in it."
It is a long and winding road that has led Johnson back to the place where his world began to crumble.
What began with denials was followed quickly by claims of sabotage and conspiracy theories, some of which Johnson has clung to for 25 years.
Over the decades an unapologetic Johnson has been unable to outrun his infamy, retreating into a quiet life in a Toronto suburb, his friends, millions of dollars in endorsements and his prized Ferrari all gone.
Once an A-list celebrity, who counted Enzo Ferrari among his many fans, Johnson soon found himself alone.
Some of those who played major roles in one of sport's biggest doping scandals: Johnson's coach Charlie Francis, Jamie Astaphan, the doctor who allegedly supplied the drugs, his former lawyer, advisor and confident Ed Futerman, have died, leaving the disgraced sprinter alone to face still-unanswered questions.
His Seoul suspension served, Johnson had a second chance to reinvent himself, returning to the Olympic stage at the 1992 Summer Games and reaching the semi-finals, but soon afterwards turned to drugs again and in 1993 was banned for life by world athletics body the IAAF.
With no human to race against, Johnson became a circus sideshow running against horses and stock cars.
He briefly flirted with a professional football career and later had an unsuccessful tryout with the Inter County Maple Leafs, one of the lowest rungs on the professional baseball ladder.
With nothing left to trade on but his infamy, Johnson became a pitch man for Cheetah energy drink appearing in a television commercial admitting: "I Cheetah all the time".
The Ben Johnson Clothing Collection failed to find a niche while Johnson carved out a small personal training business that has attracted a few high-profile clients, including Argentine soccer great Diego Maradona and Al-Saadi Gaddafi, the son of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi who was hoping to land a spot at an Italian football club.
"So far I'm doing fine," Johnson said. "I'm still travelling, doing some reality shows, mostly in Japan.
"I have some contacts in Europe to do some coaching of professional soccer players so I am doing okay."
"Everything happens in a life, I'm a man now, much older, much stronger maybe than I was."
In the quarter-century since Seoul, the sporting world has been rocked by a steady stream of outed drug cheats.
When Australian businessman Jaimie Fuller, chairman of sports compression wear company SKINS and a passionate anti-doping campaigner, needed a face to front his newest initiation 'Choose the Right Track' he reached out to Johnson.
"I've always looked at Ben as being 'the guy'," Fuller told Reuters. "That was a seminal moment in the history of world sport for a number of reasons.
"Ben's involvement may raise a few eyebrows but after 25 years of dealing with the consequences of his actions as an athlete, he is completely committed to the cause of anti-doping."

Smallville22

Athletics - Johnson hopes for 'new chance' after being 'nailed to the cross'

Cheat. Disgrace. Canada's shame: Ben Johnson has been called all these things and more in the last 25 years.
Few athletes evoke the same depth of disdain as Johnson, the Canadian sprinter whose steroid-fuelled surge to gold at the 1988 Seoul Olympics opened the world's eyes to the menace of doping.
Twenty-five years to the day since he blasted down lane six of Seoul's Olympic Stadium, leaving arch-enemy Carl Lewis wide-eyed in his wake, Johnson returned to the South Korean capital on Tuesday with a warning for the next generation of athletes: stay clear of performance-enhancing drugs.
Now 51 and, he says, "older and wiser", Johnson said no mother should have to watch her son or daughter experience what he has lived through for the last 25 years.
"I broke the rules and I got punished. Twenty-five years later I'm still being punished for something I did," he said.
"There's people who murder and rape people, go to jail and get out. I just break the rules in sport and I've been nailed to the cross."
Johnson was indeed crucified by the media.
After hailing him "Bentastic" following the scintillating victory, the media hounded Johnson out of Seoul, labelling him a "disgrace" and "Canada's shame".
Award-winning Canadian journalist Earl McRae wrote in a searing column for the Ottawa Citizen: "Thanks Ben, you bastard."
Johnson, however, said ordinary people in Canada were not baying for his blood as had been reported.
"Maybe people in the government were upset. Maybe because I was more famous than the prime minister of Canada," he told Reuters in an interview.
"But the general public, two months, three months after it happened I had a lot of fans, a lot of support."
On the final leg of a campaign that calls for radical improvement of the anti-doping system, Johnson talked of a "second chance at life", of moving on, of a future helping young athletes to "choose the right track".
At exactly 1:30 p.m. local time, the time that the 1988 race started, a video of the final was shown on the stadium's big screen.
Dressed in black polo shirt, grey checked trousers and red trainers, Johnson had a hint of a smile on his lips as he watched his younger self tear down the track, crossing the line with arm aloft, to win the 100 metres in the Seoul summer sunshine.
He is a smaller man now.
The massive shoulders that just squeezed into lane six 25 years ago have shrunk. He has a fuller face but with the same unmistakable eyes; eyes that barely blinked in the most important 9.79 seconds in the history of sport.
The then world record, which was erased after he tested positive for the steroid stanozolol, is what Johnson remembers most about the race.
"9.79. That's what everyone was going crazy about," he told Reuters in the bowels of the cavernous, decaying Olympic stadium. "That was the key," he smiled. "9.79."
Johnson said he was running so fast at that time that he would have won Olympic gold without doping.
"I would have still won that race without drugs in 1988. 9.92 was second place, Carl Lewis. I could've won that race without drugs.
"We knew six weeks out that we were capable of 9.72, 9.70."
So why not race clean?
"It just didn't happen that way. I didn't go down the path of staying clean. That was my destiny.
"I didn't worry about getting caught. I just said: 'When the time comes I'll deal with it'."
Johnson was the only one of the eight finalists to test positive in Seoul, though that final has come to be known as the "dirtiest race" in history as only two remained untouched by doping scandals.
The Canadian was banned for two years. He got a second chance at the Olympics in Barcelona in 1992, but went out in the semi-finals. Five months later, he was banned again, this time for life, when he tested positive for excessive levels of testosterone.
Out on the track, Johnson watches footage from the anti-doping tour stops in Tokyo, London and New York. It is a slick campaign that seems to be putting a human face on the poster child for the doping era while pushing for cleaner sport.
A petition of more than 3,700 names calling for the eradication of doping is unfurled down lane six as Johnson walks slowly down the track, stopping to inspect the names.
Milan Novak, Czech Republic.
Chris Sharp, New Zealand.
Bernard Brogan, Ireland.
Vida Sismundo, India.
"A lot of names, man," he says. "Lots from the United Kingdom. Lots of Bens!"
At the urging of the media Johnson runs the last 30 metres towards the cameras, switching from stationary object to human missile in the blink of an eye.
He is still very fast. A born sprinter.
Jaimie Fuller, the Australian businessman whose SKINS sports compression wear company is behind the campaign, summed up why he thinks Johnson has been vilified for so long.
"There's no bigger stage than the Olympic Games and there is no bigger event at the Olympics than the 100 metres final," he told Reuters.
"It was a seminal moment in the history of sport."
A cast of Johnson's right foot is taken, to be put on display at the Olympic Stadium.
"Ugly feet," quips Fuller.
"Fast feet," replies Johnson.
The Canadian hopes the next generation of sprinters do not follow in his footsteps.
"I have a new chance at life and I'm moving forward to make things better.
"Ben Johnson is on a different path, of choosing the right track. Send a message to the young generation: don't cheat, don't take drugs in sport.
"That's the message."

Smallville22

Athletics - Powell, Simpson have doping hearing set for January

Former world 100 metres record holder Asafa Powell and Olympic 4x100 relay silver medallist Sherone Simpson will appear before a disciplinary panel of the Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission in January.
The two sprinters, who were among five Jamaicans to test positive at their country's national championships last June, were given the dates on Friday during a preliminary hearing at the Jamaica Conference Center in Kingston.
Simpson will face the panel Jan. 7-8 while Powell will appear from Jan. 14-15 in an attempt to clear their names.

Smallville22

Athletics - Bolt reconsidering plans to retire after 2016 Olympics

Six-time Olympic champion Usain Bolt is reconsidering plans to retire from athletics after Rio 2016 because of his fans' reaction to the news.
The 100m and 200m world record holder admitted he is now weighing up whether to also compete in 2017 – which could mean a return to the London Olympic Stadium for the world championships.
“I am definitely reconsidering [retiring after 2016],” Bolt said at the launch of his new autobiography. “I think my fans especially have really voiced their concern about me retiring.
“They think I should carry on and so do my sponsors. I have discussed it with my coach and he says it is possible. We will see what happens but it’s on the cards that I will extend it by one more year.”
Bolt also expressed his desire to compete at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, a championship that he has yet to conquer.
“I have said to my coach that I would love to go to the Commonwealths,” he said.
“It’s up to him but I have said to him that I want to be a part of it. My coach will think about it and we will see what he says. I am not 100 per cent sure. We will discuss and see what he says.”

Smallville22

Athletics - Bekele beats Farah in dramatic Great North Run finale

Ethiopia's Kenenisa Bekele won the battle of the distance greats when he held off a late surge from world and Olympic 10,000 and 5,000 metres champion Mo Farah to win the Great North Run half marathon on Sunday.
Bekele, the world record holder over 5,000 and 10,000, won in one hour nine seconds on his debut over the 21.08-km distance from Newcastle to South Shields, with Briton Farah one second behind in wet and windy conditions.
Multiple world and Olympic gold medallist Haile Gebrselassie of Ethiopia was third in 1:00:41, an over-40 world best, as the three athletes, who between them have won all the Olympic men's 10,000 titles since 1996, raced together for the first time.
Bekele attacked on a downhill section in the final 1.6 km to pull clear of Farah and Gebrselassie and although the Briton, renowned for his pace on the track, chased down his rival over the last 400 metres he found himself crossing the line in the unusual position of second.
Farah, who won the long distance double at the World Championships in Moscow last month having achieved the same feat at the London 2012 Olympics, had mixed feelings.
"It was a great race, a great finish. I thought when Kenenisa went with a mile to go that the pace was just ridiculous, I thought I could come back and close the gap slowly," said Farah.
"I managed to close it a little bit but you can't take away what Kenenisa has, he has great speed and it came down to the last 200m, right to the line.
"I am disappointed to finish second, but I didn't just finish second, I finished second to a great athlete. It was a great race and Haile did most the work."
Farah will now take a well-deserved holiday before turning his attentions onto running the full London Marathon next year, having raced half this year.
And the 30-year-old insists his outing at the Great North Run has definitely proved beneficial as he bids for a successful outing on London's roads.
"It definitely taught me a lot for London. My main preparation this year was the world champs, that was my main focus," he added.
"I only had two to three weeks for prepare for this. I will take my break, go on holiday and get ready for the London Marathon."
London marathon champion Priscah Jeptoo of Kenya won the women's race in 1:05:44, ahead of Ethiopia's world and Olympic distance champions Meseret Defar and Tirunesh Dibaba.

Smallville22

Athletics - Kipsang smashes marathon world record in Berlin win

Kenyan Wilson Kipsang smashed the marathon world record by 15 seconds as he stormed to the Berlin title on Sunday.
The 31-year-old Kipsang clocked a time of two hours three minutes and 23 seconds to better the previous mark set by compatriot Patrick Makau in the same race two years ago.
Kipsang, who won the 2012 London Marathon and also took bronze at the Olympics, produced a storming finish to leave compatriot Eliud Kipchoge a distant second almost a minute behind.
"I'm very happy that I have won and broken the world record," Kipsang said in a televised interview after the race.
"I was really inspired by Paul Tergat when he broke the world record here 10 years ago and I'm very happy that I was in a position to break the record on the same course."
Kenyan Tergat's time of 2:04:55 at the 2003 Berlin Marathon was the first to be ratified as a world record by governing body the IAAF, who previously recognised fastest marathon times as world bests.
Makau's mark had looked safe as the leading bunch dropped more than 20 seconds off the pace after 30 kilometres but they clawed back the deficit over the next five kilometres.
With the group whittled down to three runners, Kipsang made his decisive move at the 37 km mark and held off former 5,000 metres world champion Kipchoge before pulling well clear in the final two kilometres on the fastest of the big city courses.
Kipchoge's time of 2:04:05 was a personal best with Geoffrey Kipsang third in 2:06:26.

Berlin marathon top five

1 Wilson Kipsang Kiprotich (Kenya) 2:03:23 WR

2 Eliud Kipchoge (Kenya) 2:04:05

3 Geoffrey Kipsang (Kenya) 2:06:26

4 Stephen Kwelio Chemlany (Kenya) 2:07:44

5 Maswai Kiptanui (Kenya) 2:08:52

Smallville22

Athletics - Bolt to race 100 metres on Buenos Aires street

Olympic champion Usain Bolt will run a 100 metres exhibition race on a track laid down on the iconic 9 de Julio Avenue in central Buenos Aires in December.
The Jamaican world sprint champion, winner of six Olympic gold medals from the 2008 and 2012 Games, will take part in the race on December 7 or 13, said the daily La Nacion's sports website.
"Bolt is very excited about visiting us. He will be coming with three other Jamaican runners," Argentine entrepreneur Guillermo Marin said.
Marin also said Serena and Venus Williams, winners of multiple Grand Slam tennis tournaments, would play an exhibition match in Argentina in December but gave no further details.

Smallville22

Athletics - Jamaica's Campbell-Brown escapes ban for positive dope test

Jamaica's twice 200 metres Olympic champion Veronica Campbell-Brown has escaped with a public warning by the Jamaica Athletics Administration Association for her use of a banned substance.
Campbell-Brown was provisionally suspended in June after she failed a test for a banned diuretic at an athletics meeting in May and faced a three-member disciplinary panel last month.
The JAAA announced their decision on Wednesday.
"The disciplinary committee has issued a ruling that Veronica Campbell-Brown has committed an anti-doping violation, contrary to IAAF Rule 32.2a," the organisation said.
"They have recommended that a reprimand without any period of ineligibility would be appropriate."
Campbell-Brown had tested positive for the banned diuretic hydrochlorothiazide, which is on the World Anti-Doping Agency's banned list as a masking agent.
Sources close to Jamaican athletics told Reuters at the time the banned drug was contained in a cream that Campbell-Brown was using to treat a leg injury and which she had declared on her doping control form.

Smallville22

WRC - Ogier overjoyed with first WRC crown

Newly crowned world rally champion Sebastien Ogier says he wants to 'give the world a hug' after his dream came true in Strasbourg tonight.
The Volkswagen driver secured his first world title on the opening stage of Rallye de France and was immediately mobbed by his team-mates and congratulated by outgoing champion Sebastien Loeb.
"I am absolutely overjoyed," said Ogier. "I could give everyone in the world a big hug. The feeling is impossible to describe. To have won the world championship in France is an absolute dream come true.
"For the last few days I have been trying not to think too much about it, in order to avoid making any mistakes. The relief now is immense.
"As a little boy, I used to marvel at the cars and top drivers at Rallye Monte-Carlo with my father in my home town of Gap - and now Julien and I are world rally champions. It is crazy."
Ogier paid tribute to the Hannover-based team which celebrates winning a drivers' title in its first full season at the sport's highest level.
Ogier added: "This success would never have been possible without our fantastic team at Volkswagen. Whether trucker, mechanic or race engineer, I have to thank everyone. One thing is for sure - we will celebrate in style now!"

Smallville22

WRC - Loeb snatches lead at home

Sebastien Loeb leads his final World Rally Championship event after a clean sweep of stage wins on Friday morning in France.
Only seventh fastest on Thursday's superspecial, where his sometime arch-rival Sebastien Ogier became the first WRC champion of the post-Loeb era, the Citroen driver surged forward when the full-length stages began.
As intermittent rain showers made all three stages tricky, Loeb's team-mate Dani Sordo initially maintained the lead he had established on the superspecial.
But Loeb edged ever closer and by the end of the rally's longest stage - the 21 miles of Vosges - he was into first position again.
Loeb was one of three drivers who thrived on Vosges, where he, Jari-Matti Latvala and Thierry Neuville were a class apart.
While Neuville's pace owed something to the mix of hard and soft tyres on his M-Sport Ford in the variable weather, both Loeb and Volkswagen driver Latvala maintained their speed on four hard Michelins.
Loeb now leads Latvala by 3.7 seconds and Neuville by 4.7s, with Sordo 6.2s down in fourth.
New champion Ogier struggled badly on Vosges, losing 19s to VW team-mate Latvala on the same tyres.
He is back in fifth, 22.3s off the lead.
Mikko Hirvonen fared worse still, lacking confidence and spinning on SS4, leaving him behind Evgeny Novikov in seventh.
Robert Kubica has dominated WRC 2 so far and already leads by three and a half minutes following a puncture for main rival Elfyn Evans.

Smallville22

Motorsports - Silverstone BSB: Last-lap Lowes tops second practice

Samsung Honda's Alex Lowes grabbed top spot in the second, and dry, MCE British Superbike free practice session at Silverstone on Friday, heading title rival Shane Byrne by a quarter of a second.
The Derby man set the quickest lap of the day so far with his 2'08.651 which pushed the Tyco Suzuki of Josh Brookes into second by three-tenths but the Aussie was usurped again by Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki man Byrne who leapt into second with a 2'08.902.
Brookes was the last man in the 2'08s bracket but Milwaukee Yamaha's James Ellison was only a tenth outside in fourth place while Jakub Smrz, who has plenty of Silverstone experience at world level, nipped into fifth late on with a 2'09.546.
Rapido Sport Ducati's Matteo Baiocco raised eyebrows by putting his Panigale into sixth place on a 2'09.561, while Michael Rutter was just behind in seventh place. Peter Hickman, Chris Walker and PJ Jacobsen rounded out the top ten, while Tommy Bridewell, who suffered a problem early on, could only muster 13th.

Smallville22

Superbikes - Magny-Cours WSBK: Sofuoglu edges Lowes to lead first practice

Yakhnich Yamaha’s Sam Lowes was leading the way in the opening World Supersport free practice session at Magny-Cours, until current champ and rival, MAHI Racing’s Kenan Sofuoglu set a super fast lap time of 1’53.649, a second and a half quicker than the fastest time clocked by the Derby lad.
Lowes managed a 1’55.089 and was languishing in sixth overall on the timing screens with less than a minute remaining and attempted a last lap dash to topple the Turkish rider, but it was not enough and Lowes had to settle for the second quickest time this morning.
Fellow Brit, ParkinGO MV rider Christian Iddon was at one point ahead of Lowes on the timing screens and was as high as second. The Stockport rider was out paced by Pata Honda’s Michael Van der Mark at the very end of the 45 minute session and fell to fourth quickest with a 1’55.681, just eight one-hundredths of a second slower than the Dutchman.
Van der Mark’s team-mate Zanetti finished the session in sixth, with Rivamoto’s Jack Kennedy ending the morning eighth fastest with a 1’56.117 lap. DMC-Lorenzini rider Kev Coghlan rounded off the top ten, with his best lap of 1’56.352, out on the damp French track.

Smallville22

Superbikes - Magny-Cours WSBK: Fabrizio leads free practice from Guintoli, Davies

Pata Honda’s Michel Fabrizio left it till his final lap to top the World Superbike free practice timesheets at a damp Magny-Cours track this morning.
The Italian is acting as a stand-in rider for the crocked Jonathan Rea, and certainly made an impact for his new team by clocking a 1’42.938, just as the chequered flag came down. Aprilia’s Sylvain Guintoli was never out of the top five quickest times at his home circuit, and did top the timesheets with two minutes remaining of the session.
The Frenchman tried a last lap attempt to reach the 1’42’s but ended the morning with a 1’43.693. GoldBet BMW’s Chaz Davies was second quickest before Fabrizio set his best lap, and pushed the Welshman down to third with his quickest time of 1’43.842.
Ducati Alstare’s Ayrton Badovini and Fixi Crescent Suzuki’s Jules Cluzel rounded off the top five fastest times. Pata Honda’s Leon Haslam proved to be a dominant force out on the French circuit, but in the final seconds slipped down from the top five on the timing screens and finished in sixth with a 1’44.063 lap, and was nearly two seconds off the pace of his stand-in team-mate.
Aprilia’s Eugene Laverty and Althea Racing’s Davide Giugliano rounded off the top ten, but Kawasaki’s Tom Sykes could only lap a time to place him thirteenth with a 1’48.393. There was only one rider who fell during the session, and that was Kawasaki’s David Salom. The World Supersport lad is riding in place of the injured Loris Baz and crashed at Lycee but was unhurt.

Magny-Cours World Superbike free practice times

1 84 M. FABRIZIO ITA Pata Honda World Superbike Honda CBR1000RR 1'42.938

2 50 S. GUINTOLI FRA Aprilia Racing Team Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'43.693

3 19 C. DAVIES GBR BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK BMW S1000 RR 1'43.842

4 86 A. BADOVINI ITA Team Ducati Alstare Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1'43.896

5 16 J. CLUZEL FRA Fixi Crescent Suzuki Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'43.959

6 91 L. HASLAM GBR Pata Honda World Superbike Honda CBR1000RR 1'44.063

7 52 V. PHILIPPE FRA Fixi Crescent Suzuki Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'44.201

8 51 M. PIRRO ITA Team Ducati Alstare Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1'44.300

9 58 E. LAVERTY IRL Aprilia Racing Team Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'44.943

10 34 D. GIUGLIANO ITA Althea Racing Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'45.797

Smallville22

France Rally - Neuville blasts into lead in France

Thierry Neuville overshadowed Sebastien Loeb's farewell and Sebastien Ogier's World Rally Championship crown as he flew into the Rally of France lead on Friday afternoon.
The Belgian's M-Sport Ford team was the only one to base its set-up and tyre choice around an entirely dry second loop, with all rivals at least hedging their bets and including some soft compounds in their selection.
But with the weather much improved and little dampness left on the stages, Neuville took a trio of stage wins.
His victory on the long Vosges stage was particularly crucial.
At the start of the 21-mile test the top four were covered by just 4.1 seconds, but it ended with Neuville leading by 9.8s.
Erstwhile leader Loeb fell to fourth on that stage, with his Citroen team-mate Dani Sordo getting back up to second and Jari-Matti Latvala's Volkswagen slotting in between. These three drivers are still within 2.4s of each other.
Champion Ogier remains in a muted fifth place.
He confessed that he had struggled to get into gear on the morning loop following the excitement of becoming world champion on Thursday evening's superspecials.
His attempted fightback in the afternoon was stymied by an incorrect tyre choice and he is now 28s off the lead.
Neuville's team-mate Evgeny Novikov also benefited from good tyre tactics to pull clear of Andreas Mikkelsen, Mikko Hirvonen and Mads Ostberg into a comfortable sixth position.