• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

seeking a little PS4 external HD help/info

whalers90

Freeones T-shirt Winner
i have a 1 TB external HD to fit my not so huge game list. i needed to clear a little space to fit the DL of Red dead redemption II. which i did with no problem.

my question since i deleted a few games that i never touched ( wwe 2k17 & a few Indy type releases) am i able to connect a regular 64 gb usb drive and move those games to that? (if i ever play them again?)

or i also have the uncharted series from my PS4 purchase that i have barely touched but want to save.

is a regular USB drive ok to move games onto ? or should i just stick to my plan of deleting the games i haven't touched? i know i can re-download them any time since they are already purchased.

thoughts/opinions?

also can i move the TV apps ( ps vue, nhl app, HBO GO, VUDU, Netflix off of external and back onto system storage? or will this be a complete clusterfuk? and screw up the locations of updates?

thanks.

can't wait to see the replies

darkwarrior3007

1,000 posts to go for my own user title!
I use a 2 TB internal hard drive and it's been a while since I used an external hard drive to store the content on the 500 GB drive to transfer to the 2 TB. I put my 256 GB flash drive in to see what would come up in system storage and the following popped up. "To use the connected USB storage device as extended storage, go to [Settings]>[Devices]>[USB Storage Device], select the device, and then select [Format as Extended Storage]". So I would say it's possible as long as the drive is formatted.

darkwarrior3007

1,000 posts to go for my own user title!
Some additional info I found from a user on reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/SpidermanPS4/comments/9rrbe3/its_been_a_rough_day/

"Make sure that when you're going to unplug the drive if for any reason you need to do so make sure that you go into the settings. Go to the external devices setting where it should say the that the hard drive is in use and make sure that you tell the PlayStation to stop using the hard drive. Only then can you disconnect it. If you disconnect it without telling the machine that you're done you could potentially corrupt any data that is on board. Also when you have an external hard drive put in make sure that you decide which save data area you want to make you're basically default space. Essentially whenever you get a game and you download it the data will be stored either on the internal hard drive of the PlayStation or the external drive. I would recommend setting the external drive to the default save location because only application data is saved on the external hard drives. Photos, saved game, videos and others are all saved videos and others are all saved on the internal hard drive. But since the actual application data is the biggest it's the one that will take up the most space. It's also recommended I'm sure this is already been mentioned already get at least a one or two terabyte drive. You'd be surprised on how fast gigabytes disappear especially with the size of most video games nowadays. Best of luck to you. Oh and by the way make sure that the hard drive is compatible with a PlayStation. Sometimes the hard drives are not compatible with PlayStation. GameStop or EB Games usually sell hard drives that are specifically designed so you work with the PlayStation. If you have to buy one from a computer store or an internet store like Amazon make sure that the drive is compatible." - Kazeon1

whalers90

Freeones T-shirt Winner
Some additional info I found from a user on reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/SpidermanPS4/comments/9rrbe3/its_been_a_rough_day/

"Make sure that when you're going to unplug the drive if for any reason you need to do so make sure that you go into the settings. Go to the external devices setting where it should say the that the hard drive is in use and make sure that you tell the PlayStation to stop using the hard drive. Only then can you disconnect it. If you disconnect it without telling the machine that you're done you could potentially corrupt any data that is on board. Also when you have an external hard drive put in make sure that you decide which save data area you want to make you're basically default space. Essentially whenever you get a game and you download it the data will be stored either on the internal hard drive of the PlayStation or the external drive. I would recommend setting the external drive to the default save location because only application data is saved on the external hard drives. Photos, saved game, videos and others are all saved videos and others are all saved on the internal hard drive. But since the actual application data is the biggest it's the one that will take up the most space. It's also recommended I'm sure this is already been mentioned already get at least a one or two terabyte drive. You'd be surprised on how fast gigabytes disappear especially with the size of most video games nowadays. Best of luck to you. Oh and by the way make sure that the hard drive is compatible with a PlayStation. Sometimes the hard drives are not compatible with PlayStation. GameStop or EB Games usually sell hard drives that are specifically designed so you work with the PlayStation. If you have to buy one from a computer store or an internet store like Amazon make sure that the drive is compatible." - Kazeon1

i knew about going to settings to disconnect. when i formatted and connected my external i set it so everything goes there.maybe later i will try to see about the 64gig HD that i took from work, just to put a few random games on there. i only came across this because when i read about the size of RDRII i wanted to make sure i had the room. i only deleted 2 games that i haven't touched and had Plenty of space available.