• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Texas wants to ban "V for Vendetta", "The Handmaid’s Tale" and other books from school libraries

Johan

I'm too lazy to set a usertitle.

Texas House to launch investigation into school library books​

The chairman of a Texas state House committee tasked with conducting investigations is launching a probe into books that school librarians keep on their shelves in the wake of a measure the legislature passed earlier this year to bar teaching of critical race theory in public schools.

In a letter to the Texas Education Agency and unnamed school superintendents, state Rep. Matt Krause (R) asked school leaders to identify the number of copies of hundreds of specific books they have sitting on library shelves, and how much money the districts paid to purchase those books.
Krause cited five Texas school districts that have recently removed some books from their libraries or classrooms after objections from parents and students. Krause asked the districts to provide information about books that deal with sexuality, sexually transmitted disease, AIDS and HIV and “material that might make students feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress because of their race or sex.

The specific books Krause is looking for, attached in a 16-page list first reported by The Texas Tribune, date back to the 1960s. Many deal with abortion, teen pregnancy, sex education or the life experience of young LGBT people. Others deal with the Black Lives Matter movement or the concepts of anti-racism.
Also on the list are some more popular works, including:
— "The Confessions of Nat Turner," a 1967 novel by William Styron written as a first-person narrative of an 1831 slave revolt in Virginia.
— "The Cider House Rules," John Irving’s 1985 novel about a protagonist whose childhood mentor is an obstetrician who performs abortions.
— "V for Vendetta," the 1982 graphic novel by Alan Moore about a dystopian, post-apocalyptic England ruled by a fascist regime, which became a hit movie in 2005.
— "The Handmaid’s Tale," another dystopian novel written by Margaret Atwood about a post-revolution United States in which women are subjected by a ruling class of men. Krause specifically asks about a graphic novel form of the book.
— "We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy" and "Between the World and Me," an essay collection and memoir by author and essayist Ta-Nehisi Coates.

The letter went to school districts without a vote from the full committee on investigations
. State Rep. Victoria Neave (D), the vice chair of the committee, called the letter “politically motivated.”
In a statement, the Texas State Teachers Association (TSTA) called the letter a “political overreach” and a “witch hunt.”
“This is an obvious attack on diversity and an attempt to score political points at the expense of our children’s education,” TSTA President Ovidia Molina said. “What will Rep. Krause propose next? Burning books he and a handful of parents find objectionable?”

The investigative committee typically spends its time probing the conduct of legislators and state officials accused of wrongdoing. Krause, in his first term heading the committee, is a member of Texas’s version of the Freedom Caucus.
Krause’s investigation comes after Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) signed legislation in June barring schools from teaching what Texas Republicans call critical race theory. The bill does not use the term, which Texas schools did not teach anyway, but it mandated the approach the state Board of Education should take to teaching history.
Krause is one of three Republicans who has announced a challenge to Attorney General Ken Paxton (R), who has been under indictment for allegedly using his office to aid a political donor for years.
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...aunch-investigation-into-school-library-books

First they ban books. Maybe next time they'll burn them...

Theopolis Q. Hossenffer

1635447101717.png

What's old is new again.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
I'm surprised 1984 by George Orwell isn't banned too. Same premise for V for Vendetta .... Totalitarian government.

In 1984, Winston Smith was fighting O'Brien and Big Brother.

Both 1984 (1984) and V for Vendetta (2005) had Sir John Hurt (CBE) in lucrative roles. His characters, in both films, are on opposite sides of the spectrum. As so it seems.

Why V for Vendetta? The novel by Alan Moore and the movie directed by James McTeigue have the same basic premise.

From the V for Vendetta (2005) movie Wikipedia:

The film is set in an alternative future where a fascist totalitarian regime has subjugated the United Kingdom. It centres on V (portrayed by Hugo Weaving), an anarchist and masked freedom fighter who attempts to ignite a revolution through elaborate terrorist acts, and Evey Hammond (portrayed by Natalie Portman) a young prostitute caught up in V's mission. Stephen Rea portrays a detective leading a desperate quest to stop V.

They don't want the hero Hugo Weaving who portrays V to suceed. "You can't teach that to my children, said the Texas populace.

Texas ... under Governor Greg Abbott, Attorney General Ken Paxton, President of the State Senate Dan Patrick and Speaker of the House Dade Phelan, and the "unofficial" Head of the Party, Ted Cruz (the United States Senator) are all conspiring to keep literature away from being able to be read ... as the new Fascist regime.

They should keep that state tourism statement. Texas: It's like a Whole Other Country. With anti-abortion and now this, the banning of books. It totally makes sense.

Total censorship. Texas, with all the Fascists they have, I'm surprised they aren't goose-stepping.

Last edited:

gmase

Nattering Nabob of Negativism
The inclusion of The Confessions of Nat Turner is odd. They must not have read the book.

D-rock

....but but but... in their place they can also now fulfill their dreams of having any Dr. Seuss book they want to relieve themselves of our national nightmares of his imaginary cancellation.

How long do you think it will be before the Republicans in this country just quit bothering to pretend they aren't fascist anymore?

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
I'm surprised The Harrad Experiment by Robert Rimmer isn't banned.

This is the second cover that they had. The first had another girl who was topless. Very busty.

Harrad Experiment.JPG

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
I'm surprised The Harrad Experiment by Robert Rimmer isn't banned.

This is the second cover that they had. The first had another girl who was topless. Very busty.

View attachment 922667
Remember the original "Blind Faith" album cover? The topless 14 year old record exec's niece, I believe.