• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

WTF Philippines?

tvstrip

I changed my middle-name to Freeones
Ferdinand Marcos Jr on cusp of winning landslide in Philippines elections
https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/09/asia/philippines-election-results-marcos-robredo-intl-hnk/index.html

Ferdinand Marcos Jr, the son of the former Philippine dictator, is on the cusp of winning the Philippine presidential election by a landslide, according to preliminary and unofficial results, taking the Marcos dynasty one step closer to the Malacañang Palace, 36 years after the family fled a mass uprising.
Marcos Jr's running mate for vice president is Sara Duterte Carpio, the daughter of populist outgoing leader Rodrigo Duterte. Many of their supporters are voting to see a continuation of Duterte's policies, including his controversial "war on drugs."
Partial and unofficial results show Duterte Carpio is also leading the race for the vice presidency. The vice president is elected separately from the president in the Philippines.

Those who watched "Last Week Tonight" know that the Philippine elections are... concerning.

The country is just coming off the regime of Duterte, "the trump of the East". Unlike China, presidential terms limits means he can't run again. And who is leading? The son of the dictator who instituted martial law until he was ousted by an uprising, and fled the country with billions in assets. And the VP (who is elected separately) is Duterte's daughter???

Unlike other sham elections, there doesn't seem to be much concern about the legitimacy about the election itself. There are a couple of anomalies like broken voting machines, but nothing that could overturn the huge lead, with 80% of the population voting. So in general, the majority of Filipinos are endorsing these results.

Seriously, WTF Philippines??

I'm particularly curious to hear the Dino household's take on this.

I married into a pack of right-wingers and am the closest thing to being a Liberal in my family along with being the only Honky.

I mentioned Pacquiao my wife and some other Filipinos. They weren’t impressed with him.

They worried more about corruption from the Aquinos and were fine with Duterte even though I always refer to him as a pipsqueak dictator who can’t beat up anyone who isn’t tied to a chair.

My wife and mother in law are fine with Marcos and neither ever bad mouthed the old man either.

My only hope is that whoever is in charge puts a stick in the eye of China.

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
Also, we are planning on going there next year for our Anniversary. The pandemic and their election put things on hold.
Be careful Dino, you know how you are with whores. You better do a lady boy junk check before putting down any cash.

tvstrip

I married into a pack of right-wingers and am the closest thing to being a Liberal in my family along with being the only Honky.

My wife and mother in law are fine with Marcos and neither ever bad mouthed the old man either.

My only hope is that whoever is in charge puts a stick in the eye of China.
How can they be indifferent to the dictator that raped the country and literally stole billions in gold & assets when he flew away on his jet?

I would never judge anyone just on whether they lean right or left, but being fine with a dictator who imposed martial law and was deposed via popular uprising has to supersede that.

Seriously though, why don't they feel strongly about Marcos? And clearly it's not just your wife/in-laws, since the majority of the country agrees with them. I honestly don't get how that makes sense, and just want to understand the thought process...

How can they be indifferent to the dictator that raped the country and literally stole billions in gold & assets when he flew away on his jet?

I would never judge anyone just on whether they lean right or left, but being fine with a dictator who imposed martial law and was deposed via popular uprising has to supersede that.

Seriously though, why don't they feel strongly about Marcos? And clearly it's not just your wife/in-laws, since the majority of the country agrees with them. I honestly don't get how that makes sense, and just want to understand the thought process...

Beats me. I was a bit surprised hearing it at first too. Seems like the recent leaders down there have all been corrupt, Duterte included.

Over the last 8 years I have been around a lot of Filipinos. Lots of Social Conservative Catholics. Many seem to like Ted Cruz too. Don't come to my house and discuss abortion with them or they'll turn you into the daily Adobo.

aY47vLm_460s.jpg

Last edited:

gmase

Nattering Nabob of Negativism
Happy AAPI month to anyone celebrating it. A full 31-day month too. ;)

afterlights

Tip: install a spycam in your toilet.
Seems like the recent leaders down there have all been corrupt, Duterte included.

Over the last 8 years I have been around a lot of Filipinos. Lots of Social Conservative Catholics. Many seem to like Ted Cruz too. Don't come to my house and discuss abortion with them or they'll turn you into the daily Adobo.
After social hierarchies, political adulation is the next cultural mania there. It's a little fascinating, and a little scary, how doggedly supportive they are despite evidence. The first time I heard praise for Marcos from coworkers I was dumbfounded.

The first time I heard praise for Marcos from coworkers I was dumbfounded.

So you’ve heard the same from some too, huh?

Whatever Filipinos think I know I married into a culture of some of the nicest people on Earth. My wife is a way better human being than I am too. I am in no position to judge.

From what I've heard the transition was fairly smooth and things are calmer than they could be. Marcos was elected by the people of The Philippines so I give him a chance and hope for the best. I know a number of people who support him and sneer at me when I mention Manny for President even though they are huge fans of him as a boxer. These particular people are religious and conservative and didn't seem to mind old man Marcos as much as you would think.

tvstrip

From what I've heard the transition was fairly smooth and things are calmer than they could be. Marcos was elected by the people of The Philippines so I give him a chance and hope for the best. I know a number of people who support him and sneer at me when I mention Manny for President even though they are huge fans of him as a boxer. These particular people are religious and conservative and didn't seem to mind old man Marcos as much as you would think.
You're right - there hasn't been too might attention on him since the election, good or bad. I have to deal with the ramifications of these international elections, so I'll be keeping an eye out, for sure. These days, apart from the ruskies, I've been watching the Brazilian and Italian elections. Some really big seismic shifts going on there right now.

@Lee Van Queef
So we're just a couple months short of 1 year since bongbong.
How are your in-laws feeling about his performance?

I was hanging out with a large group in Orange County last Sunday. I was looking for a polite way to introduce the topic of Filipino politics. These people are very Conservative as are the family that I married into. I had been gently scoffed at when mentioning Manny Pacquiao as President before. I realize I'm an American guy and don't know about what's happening there. Seems everyone was pleased with Marcos but they also were Duterte supporters. In all fairness I heard there was tons of corruption that needed to be cleaned up. Duterte was a little much but, according to a pretty much unified group, Marcos has been doing a good job and things have been smooth.

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
Is that the same Marcos, that had enough shoes to put foot ware on every homeless person in America? Or is it a common name in that country?

tvstrip

I was hanging out with a large group in Orange County last Sunday. I was looking for a polite way to introduce the topic of Filipino politics. These people are very Conservative as are the family that I married into. I had been gently scoffed at when mentioning Manny Pacquiao as President before. I realize I'm an American guy and don't know about what's happening there. Seems everyone was pleased with Marcos but they also were Duterte supporters. In all fairness I heard there was tons of corruption that needed to be cleaned up. Duterte was a little much but, according to a pretty much unified group, Marcos has been doing a good job and things have been smooth.
Thanks. You don't hear too much about him these days in Western media, so that's usually good news. It's only when the shit hits the fan that foreign leaders seem to get press attention.

Is that the same Marcos, that had enough shoes to put foot ware on every homeless person in America? Or is it a common name in that country?
I don't know about that one, but it's the same Marcos family who was the dictator of the country from the 60s-80s.

Thanks. You don't hear too much about him these days in Western media, so that's usually good news. It's only when the shit hits the fan that foreign leaders seem to get press attention.

From the little bit of information that has been trickled down to me Marcos Jr seems to be a milder version of his dad. So far, so good, I guess. IMO Duterte was a little pipsqueak punk who couldn't beat up any man who some other man didn't tie up to a chair beforehand. A Cornfed American fella could break his neck backhanding him like a mouthy whore.

tvstrip

From the little bit of information that has been trickled down to me Marcos Jr seems to be a milder version of his dad. So far, so good, I guess. IMO Duterte was a little pipsqueak punk who couldn't beat up any man who some other man didn't tie up to a chair beforehand. A Cornfed American fella could break his neck backhanding him like a mouthy whore.
Yeah, Duterte was the epitome of the pipsqueak dog yapping their mouth off.

But even then, he did respect term limits, and AFAIK made no attempt circumvent them, or try to influence his successor. Which is a lot more than you can say about China or even the US (https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-negotiate-third-term-in-office-2020-9).
Like you said, corruption is rampant in the Philippines, as is crime, so I can appreciate him giving a shock to the system and keeping everyone on edge though.

I want to see reports on crime in the Philippines, and see what the effects have been.
I'm also keen on how he's reacting to China's expansion. Duterte would definitely stood his ground against xi, so in that respect I hope bongbong keeps that stance.