• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

MLB Trivia

barebeaverlover

Got two nipples for a dime?
I didn't know there was a Canadian Baseball Hall Of Fame :o

But now that I do I'm thinking Gary Carter, Andre Dawson, Roberto Alomar, Tommy Lasorda and.....?

Ya'll should induct Pete Rose. That'd be awesome :D

Correct-that's a total of 5.

The Canadian Baseball Hall Of Fame has their induction ceremonies this weekend, that's what made me think of the question. The Hall is in St. Mary's, Ontario-about 1 1/2 hours west of Toronto.

feller469

Moving to a trailer in Fife, AL.
Long shot here,just based on his minor league stop in Montreal, Jackie Robinson

feller469

I don't think he is in Cooperstown, but what about "Le Grande Orange" Rusty Staub?

barebeaverlover

I don't think he is in Cooperstown, but what about "Le Grande Orange" Rusty Staub?

Good guess, not Rusty. Baseball writer for the Toronto Sun, Bob Elliott is being inducted tomorrow. Bob was inducted into Cooperstown a couple of years ago. Of the 2 remaining, 1 is an executive & 1 is a former player/manager.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
I'd say the baseball executive is Pat Gillick. No idea on who the player/manager is.

No hitters....

What four MLB pitchers have thrown the final no hitter in a season? And have thrown the first no hitter in the next season?

barebeaverlover

I'd say the baseball executive is Pat Gillick. No idea on who the player/manager is.

No hitters....

What four MLB pitchers have thrown the final no hitter in a season? And have thrown the first no hitter in the next season?

Pat Gillick is the executive-good choice. The player/manager is Sparky Anderson. That's all 9.

barebeaverlover

No hitters....

Great question John!! I would have to think Nolan Ryan would be 1 with all the no-hitters he threw. Would Warren Spahn be another?

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
There are actually five MLB pitchers who have done it.

Great question John!! I would have to think Nolan Ryan would be 1 with all the no-hitters he threw. Would Warren Spahn be another?

Yes. Nolan Ryan and Warren Spahn are two of the pitchers who did theirs in successive years. Nolan Ryan, as a member of the Angels, had the last no-hitter at the end of 1974 on September 28, 1974 and first no-hitter in 1975 on June 1, 1975. Warren Spahn, while pitching for the Braves, had the last no-hitter in 1960 on September 16, 1960 and the first no-hitter in 1961 on April 28, 1961.

Hideo Nomo

Wow I did not even think of him as a choice. Congrats to you. This is a great answer too, though not in successive years. Hideo Nomo pitched his first no-hitter at the end of 1996 on September 17, 1996 for the Dodgers. Then at the beginning of 2001, he did it again for the Red Sox on April 4, 2001.

There are 2 pitchers left. One like Ryan and Spahn (in successive years) and one like Nomo (in between years). The 'successive years' pitcher is presently active. Please name them. Good luck.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Successive years-would that be Lincecum?
Yes, Tim Lincecum had his no-hitters in 2013 and 2014. But he doesn't meet the criteria. He pitched his first no-hitter against the Friars on July 13, 2013. However, Henderson Alvarez pitched the last no-hitter in 2013 for the Marlins a 1-0 decision over the Tigers on September 29, 2013. In 2014, Josh Beckett pitching for the Dodgers had his no-hitter and the first one of the season over the Phillies, a 6-0 decision on May 25, 2014. Then Clayton Kershaw had his near perfect game against the Rockies an 8-0 decision on June 18, 2014. He dominated the Rockies with 15 strikeouts in a 107 pitch effort. A Hanley Ramirez throwing error prevented his perfect game. These no hitters were both before Tim Lincecum had his second no-hitter over the Padres on June 25, 2014.

barebeaverlover

Yes, Tim Lincecum had his no-hitters in 2013 and 2014. But he doesn't meet the criteria. He pitched his first no-hitter against the Friars on July 13, 2013. However, Henderson Alvarez pitched the last no-hitter in 2013 for the Marlins a 1-0 decision over the Tigers on September 29, 2013. In 2014, Josh Beckett pitching for the Dodgers had his no-hitter and the first one of the season over the Phillies, a 6-0 decision on May 25, 2014. Then Clayton Kershaw had his near perfect game against the Rockies an 8-0 decision on June 18, 2014. He dominated the Rockies with 15 strikeouts in a 107 pitch effort. A Hanley Ramirez throwing error prevented his perfect game. These no hitters were both before Tim Lincecum had his second no-hitter over the Padres on June 25, 2014.

OK-how about Homer Bailey of the Reds? I know he has multiple no hitters.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
OK-how about Homer Bailey of the Reds? I know he has multiple no hitters.

Yes. Homer Bailey no hit the Pirates winning a 1-0 decision on September 28, 2012 for the last no hitter in 2012. He came back and pitched the first no hitter of the 2013 season on July 2, 2013, beating the Giants 3-0 at the Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati.

There's one more pitcher to go. He'll be difficult to find because he's a turn of the century pitcher in the deadball era. Another hint: His no hitters were in between years.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Sandy Koufax had no-hitters in four consecutive years (I think).

Yes, Sandy Koufax, had four consecutive no-hitters from 1962 to 1965. His second no-hitter in 1963 meets the first criteria -- being the first no hitter pitched in the 1963 season -- on May 11, 1963. Although, his fourth no-hitter, the perfect game, was pitched very late in the 1965 season on September 9, 1963; Dave Morehead of the Boston Red Sox pitched had his no-hitter against the Cleveland Indians a 2-0 decision on September 16, 1965 as the last no-hitter of 1965.

Keep trying. :)

feller469

Had to look it up, a chimpanzee laying down Scrabble tiles had a better chance of getting the name before me.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Had to look it up, a chimpanzee laying down Scrabble tiles had a better chance of getting the name before me.

:rofl2: Okay I'll give you all the answer. :rofl2:

Addie Joss, of the Cleveland Naps (Cleveland Indians) pitched a perfect game over the Chicago White Sox on October 2, 1907. He then pitched his second no-hitter on April 20, 1910 against the same team, the Chicago White Sox. Both were 1-0 decisions.

This is an a example of an in-between years no hitter. :)