• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Obama Aims to Shield Science from Politics

stampede2873

Junior Olympic Pole Vaulter
Stampede2873,

Only three billion base pairs of ribonuclear acids in the human genome ! LOL !

I know:rofl:

The "point" I was trying to make. Now having some sleep, is this. We still don't know that one little piece of information that orders a cell to become a particular "type" of cell.

Without the knowledge of this "marching order" we won't/can't tell a stem cell what to transform into to make the whole damn thing work.

girk1

Closed Account
Yes, yes it is. At least that's the way it should be. But due to pressure from the government to show results: as in tracing and identifying the human genome. Science has declared, " We did it, We know how it works!" Only to find that no.... you have failed. And made a public spectacle out of yourself and your organization. This has been done at least 3 times in the last 40 years.

This is the downside to government funding.

There are other factors as well, but I would be writing a frickin term paper.

Sadly scientist have to really lobby for funding so I wouldn't be surprised (though I'm not certain of this ) if they are overly excited in their claims at times. Some are just excited about the slightest advances as they know what it can mean if their project does succeed.

I say they finally tax churches(who contribute nothing & even impede upon technological/scientific advancement) & use the money to help finance scientific reasearch among other things & maybe there would't be as much a need to lobby by scientist.

Member2019

1,000 posts to go for my own user title!
Apparently people miss "some" and apply "all" to everything ...

you mean other than banning gay marriage?
I said some Republicans. There is a regular demonization of all Republicans being for something, when it's not all, sometimes not even a majority.

Same deal with Democrats. People who say all Democrats want to penalize all successful people, or all Democrats want to tax all small business owners, is not true either.

Member2019

Huh?

I say they finally tax churches(who contribute nothing & even impede upon technological/scientific advancement)
Apparently you haven't been involved with most churches. Many of the churches I've ever been involved with have used a majority of their money to help the poor and fund many other programs. This includes 100% of the money they collect on Sunday going towards such programs, and funding church operations from membership on other days or with other fund raising efforts (although many of those go to non-church operations as well).

This statement is extremely dangerous to make. The anti-organized religion attitude on this board makes me wonder sometimes. Even though I don't believe in organized religion for myself, this above statement is rather ignorant of what many churches are about.

Should we go after the Salvation Army and anything else religious related next? What about the religion-founded, non-profit hospitals while we're at it?

pikachar

Where was I yesterday?
NIH is the Federal arm to distribute and oversight the stem cell projects but US military (US Army) has the best capacity to do stem cell research including regeneration of skins, spinal cord injuries and limbs etc.
Passes out in excitement, someone else agrees!!!

Holy shit what we could do if we had the time, man power, and the money... AMEDD could really start churning out great results in maybe 5-6 years.

titsrock

I'm too lazy to set a usertitle.
Re: Huh?

Should we go after the Salvation Army and anything else religious related next? What about the religion-founded, non-profit hospitals while we're at it?

When they act like for-profits, then YES. We absolutely should tax them. There are articles around from various sources which describe how many "nonprofit" and "Religion-based" hospitals turn away patients and send them to state run hospitals. And articles about many nonprofit organizations don't actually do much charity at all. Some only use 5% of their donations for charitable endeavors. 95% goes to "administrative needs":rolleyes: Really?

When religions want to "meddle" with state affairs...time to send in the tax man. :thumbsup:

Friday on my mind

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, Freeones lasts forever
Re: Huh?

When they act like for-profits, then YES. We absolutely should tax them. There are articles around from various sources which describe how many "nonprofit" and "Religion-based" hospitals turn away patients and send them to state run hospitals. And articles about many nonprofit organizations don't actually do much charity at all. Some only use 5% of their donations for charitable endeavors. 95% goes to "administrative needs":rolleyes: Really?

When religions want to "meddle" with state affairs...time to send in the tax man. :thumbsup:

You won't find me ever dropping money in a salvation army pot,was real glad last year when Target said nope to them along with anyone else collecting for anything in front of their stores.The salvation army has engaged in and been sued for discrimnation in employement with their religious demands of employees.Like firing women employees who were not married and got pregnant,the church don't approve so were firing you.Their not suppose to be able to do that of course.And giving to one of those child molesting cults like the catholic church is out of the question as well lol.Even alot of devout catholics stopped that when they found out millions of dollars had been used to pay for court cases and settlements to the victims of the priests molestations.Sure they as well as other religions have done some good things but that don't make them right or wipe away the damage they do with their varying backward stands on a whole host of issues.

Member2019

I rest my case ...

As always, I can rest my case. People take fringe, select events, and apply to "all" people, the "entire" organization, etc...

It would be extremely easy to do the same with government, even more so than private, non-profits.

And yet you guys trust the government more? Nuts!

pikachar

Where was I yesterday?
Re: I rest my case ...

As always, I can rest my case. People take fringe, select events, and apply to "all" people, the "entire" organization, etc...

It would be extremely easy to do the same with government, even more so than private, non-profits.

And yet you guys trust the government more? Nuts!
As much as you and I can agree or disagree, we're pretty much on the same wavelength here.

Yes, I think government could do more, but to fully trust them.... yeah, I don't trust anyone, so having medical competition in multiple sectors is a great idea. Public, vs Government funding... it's be a debate that can go on for years.

Now for those people who label a group as broad as Democrat or Republican... Agree with you completely. No label should be smacked on this, or that, but that's yet again another thread.

------

Alas, going back through some other posts:
AMEDD vs Public debate.
The government would be able to generate a cash cow for using stem cell research for military purposes, like they do anyways. So in essence, this would be contracted out, and bingo... tons of money could be flooded into this project for new skins, heart treatments, nerve damage, whatever.

Now the interesting thing is Genron, and the Human Genome... If you could, with a vast database of DNA, make individual treatments, then imagine the donation organs being reproduced. But I have a further proposition... What about cloning yourself, and making an individual embryonic stem cell line, without the hassle of mapping the genome? Yeah, sound like science fiction, but imagine the possibilities, of having from birth... a stem cell line just for you, and ready at any given notice?

The NiH vs Anyone else...
Really wouldn't care who had oversight on this project, there needs to be some lines that have to be regulated (especially with stem cells), because you don't just want to sit back and watch people go at it just for the simple thrill of making billions of lines for no apparent reason. This is where the NiH and FDA could step in, and assist. Personally for me, they have to have a need before the lines should be crossed (example, cloning a person, and making personal stem cell lines).

I mean if I sound off beat, please send me one back, I love medical debates.